LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > European Fishing Lures > Norwegian Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delphin/Delfin lures from Norway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delphin/Delfin lures from Norway
    Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 10:12am
Hey
I am collector of the Norwegen Delphin/Delfin lures and other items from the factury. It´s quite serius and i have about 500 lures. Arnold Hoff was the man hwo started the factory in 1904, but he made his very first lure in 1882 (Hoff-sluk) when he was learning to be an goldsmeth.
I have some lures both marked an unmarked from about 1891 to 1900.
Have heard that some of the delphin lures was sold in Australia. So if any one have information about these lures, i would be plesed to hear from you. First pict. is an original board, made at the delfin factory about 1960. The second pict.contents difrent types and ages of delphin lures from 1910 to about 1980. The grey open box is from 1910 and have content 10 Troll-sluk. There is 4 of them still. The open black box is a lure made by the Delfin factory, but sold by L J Johansen Namsos Norway. I have this lure because its made in 830 S and marked A. HOFF. (Arnold Hoff)  .
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:04am
 p.j.
Thanks for posting, are the lures that are marked etched into the lure or some sort of transfer applied.
When did they stop manufacturing 1980?
Will look out for them in my catalogues and if located will post up on the forum.
By the way welcome to lurelover.
Regards John
haak.fish View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haak.fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 10:02am
i hav a delfin krokodil. its copper with a scale pattern stamped into it and says made in norway. does anyone know if this is worth anything
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 5:54pm

Hey

Need to se a Pict. of it. From the marking on the spoon i can tell some thing about how old and rare it is. It depents much of how nice its is to.
pj
haak.fish View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haak.fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 5:16am

Here is a pic. of the spoon. i dont think it has the original hook and am not sure how old it is
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 1:34am

I believe your Krokodil, that is a export model is made around 1940 to 1960. If you look at the first Pict you can see some of the different markings. Number 4 have a fish(dolphin) like yours. But if you look at the Eagle over the H yours is more detailed, and a bit earlier.  The second Pict below is the very first model of Krokodil 6 and 7. made in 1910 and only a few years after. The one in the middle is the model that it ended up with. Made until 2004, when the production stopped. There is quit a difference as you can see. The last Pict is again first model Krokodil. 1910 These are MM. in length. Hope that was of any help. Feel Fri to ask again.

p.j.

gryan View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 1:07am
I have a fishing buddy who is crazy about the smorgasbord delfin. Is there anywhere that you know of that I can purchase these lures - either new or second hand?

Garty
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 2:24am
I have just recently sold most of my smorgasbord. The Spoons i sold is named AASENSKJEA, and is exactly the same Spoon. Just not stamped with smorgasbord. most of these Spoons was collectible, and don't think the buyers will use them to Fish with. This Spoons model is actually 108 years old. It was made by Arnulf Hoff in 1904, when he started the Delfin Factory. The Factory closed in 2004 
My own smorgasbord stamped Spoons is new in mint condition. and will never see water
Only have 2 aasenskjea in used fishing condition. left. One Silver and 1 Silver with the typical stripes Delfin made.

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 4:54am
p.j. was the paint job original or added later
Regards John
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 5:23am
The paint goes way back where it all started. Hoff made his very first Spoon in 1882 when he was 19 years old, and learning to be a Jeweler. Thy went very popular, and he started to make and sell some, when he got a Juweler shop. This ggot him to start only making Spoons in 1904.  
I have some of his Spoons from about 1890-1900 that is painted similar stripes, but in a color only he was using. The very first type of aasenskjea was also made in that area. This is named Trondhjem after the city he lived. We believe the aasenskjea Spoon is named after his favorite fishing spot. Some place called : the aasen waters.
In 1904 he was using the stripes from aasenskjea, on several other models. Krokodil, stikling, and Trout Spoons. 
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 8:29am
Thanks p.j.
gryan View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 7:23am
Thanks for your response. Have a great weekend!

Garty
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 6:44pm
Checked my metals today - thought I had one of those red and white stripe spoons, ended up being a cheap copy.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 10:12pm
Hi PJ,thankyou for posting up such a nice collection of Metal lures.I think over the years I may have had a few like those made in Norway however I now only have one left from that neck of the woods.

The Journey is the Reward

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 6:09am
Very nice Paravan Cocktail you have there. There have being a lot of Paravan sold in Australia. But apparently the Delfin Spoons did not go as well. Have asked fore them, but only a single replay.
A lot of Delfin went to USA and Canada in the 60´ties, and particular the smorgasbord alias the aasenskjea are still very popular fore Trout.
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Jon View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by p.j. p.j. wrote:

The paint goes way back where it all started. Hoff made his very first Spoon in 1882 when he was 19 years old, and learning to be a Jeweler. Thy went very popular, and he started to make and sell some, when he got a Juweler shop. This ggot him to start only making Spoons in 1904.  
I have some of his Spoons from about 1890-1900 that is painted similar stripes, but in a color only he was using. The very first type of aasenskjea was also made in that area. This is named Trondhjem after the city he lived. We believe the aasenskjea Spoon is named after his favorite fishing spot. Some place called : the aasen waters.
In 1904 he was using the stripes from aasenskjea, on several other models. Krokodil, stikling, and Trout Spoons. 
The name Aasenskjea are after an other goldsmith that made lures in Trondhjem : Nils E. Aasen. He made and sold lures fra 1889 to ca 1900 and many things indicate that Arnulf Hoff was a close frind of Aasen.
It is the paint on later Delfin lures that gave it the nickname Åsenskjea (Aasenskjea) . First it was a thin spoon for trolling, ca 1932 the havier casting lure 28J was founded.
I have all known types of Aasen lures in my collection, all marked "AASEN TRONDHJEM" see pic.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 9:25pm
And I these lures still catch fish. That second from the left must have taken a lot of time to make. It would be a "busy" lure when it's swimming.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 10:33am
That same lure ,second from left ,was it geared up to attach a bait fish/ pilchard for casting .

Regards John
Jon View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 3:42am
Here are some of my early Hoff / Delfin lures. The upper are unmarked (umerket in Norw.)  I belive that the frogs are some later but do not know for sure.
As you see several are very similar to some of the Aasen Trondhjem lures.

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 7:19am
Hi Jon.
Nice to see you on L.L. and thanks fore the info on the collaboration between A. Hoff and Aasen. I actually had that info from Per in Norway, but had not thought on it that way. The info i had on the Aasen Water connection, was some thing i have heard years ago. But i second your theory, as it sound very good.
Can see you got some more to the collection. The possible first Devon is that marked ??? 
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Jon View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 7:51am
Long time no p.j. Non of the devons are marked but they all come from the Delfin factory, via Per.
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 9:20am
I was lucky to get one of the unmarked Devon's. That one i am very glad fore, as i think it is very beautiful made
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Jon View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 10:28pm
Found som more in my safe. Her are some very early Delfin, most of them quite big. The biggest ca 4" long only the spoon. They are with the very first mark, no Delfin text only the eagle on the shield w/H and a dolphin below

Next pic are of the same earliest with the first mark but they are medium and smaller sizes, some with a very special form:

The last pic are mostly some later prototypes, many around 1930 prototypes of casting spoons/lures. Some you can see they are handcrafted. My text in Norwegian under most of them.
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 8:51am
Yes thy are very beutiful the old Delfin Spoons. I now why thy are in the safe Jon Wink 
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:17am
Jon i was looking Pict. of Delfin Spoons, and stump over these, and i got to wonder if you have any of these special Krokodill ryg (sharp bag) Apparently thy should have being made to a private man ore ?? in Canada. I have had contact with a lot of collectors there. But now one have ever seeing them. Do you now more than me, about these Spoons Jon.

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Jon View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:16pm

Nice and very special Krokodills pj. I do not have these but I belive that I have seen them in Per's collection. I belive you have got them from him?

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 5:52am
Yesterday i became the happy owner off a very special old Delfin Spoon
Believe it is from about 1910 to 15 as it is marked with the very first "feather" eagle. But the whale under is the second one Anulf Hoff used. So a kind off between two periods in production stamps. That makes it quit rare, as there is not many off those out there. I have only one more off these. But But now comes the interesting part. It is also marked with ONLY ONE STAR. The stars was used to indicate the weight before the spoons got stamps with weight in grams. I have lots off 3 star spoons and some 2 Stars, which is quit rare. But i can not recall ever seeing a one star Delfin Spoon any where. So i am very confident this is a real "Jewel"

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 10:47am
Thanks for posting your spoon history up I like to use spoons here in Tasmania for salmon & Trout , you can really see the the workmanship in your collection.
And congrats on finding a new 1 star model.
If I every find some ill let you know
Regards Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
FishKat View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FishKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 11:53pm
Hey PJ,
John here from the USA. We corresponded about 1.5 years ago about Tilly/Tylo versus Spreller. (No more private messaging available now?) Back then I asked if what some said was correct that pre-ABU Pendeldraget was by Delfin. You said you had not seen any Pendaldraget in Delfin collections. Maybe you have in the meantime? Anyway, in case you have not already seen, there is a Pendeldraget with Delfin box on Tradera. Swedish Patent no. 76949. I downloaded the patent document and illustration from the Swedish Patent Database. I can send you the PDF or show you how to download, if you are interested.
Warm regards,
John
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 12:50am
Thanks Rick.
As you say there is a lot off workmanship in these Delfin Lures. Not only are thy in a very good quality, and very well made. But behind each and every Spoon lay a lot off thoughts and actual testing on real Fish. Mostly Trouts as Arnulf was hooked by Trouts. Most lures was made from about 1890 to 1920
When he had made a new model, he toke it out in the boat, as most Spoons was made light and thin fore trolling used with out any weight to pull Down. He fished 3 rods, with the Spoons at same lenght, and put the new one in the middle. If it cud out fish the 2 he allready had caught fish on, it was aproved Thumbs Up

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 12:51am
John pm. send
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 1:56am
I had a look for you PJ but the only one I found from Norway was a cock tail 7gr paravan made in Norway
It's not the delphin but a very nice old painted trout pattern on it and very well made

I sent a heap of pics to John Screamingreel and it may have been in that
It's the same as the one Barry has I just realised but a different colour and smaller but they must work as it has a bend in the treble on one prong

The box it came out of had a great lot of old trout lures and spinners in a very cool very old home made box

Cheers Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
Aaron613 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 7:04am
I just bought an old tackle box from an elderly man. It has a Delfin Smorgasbord spoon in it and I wanted to know the year and its value before I start casting it as a normal spoon. It has an H cest with wings on top, under that is Delfin, then what looks like a whale. On the bottom there are 2 Mark's one looks like FD and the other one looks like GP. I'll post some pictures soon.

Any help is appreciated before I cast out this lure thanks!
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 7:15am
If you post pict off both front and back side I can Help Smile

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Aaron613 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 7:18am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic