LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Devcon 2 Ton

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Devcon 2 Ton
    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 1:11pm
Hi all,
My bulk stocks of 24 hr Araldite are just about depleted, I'm looking at other alternatives, one being Devcon 2 Ton.

I see a few guys here use it, I'm having trouble sourcing and wondering if this one is the most commonly used for gluing in wires etc.

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 1:35pm
Last time I bought a pack I got it from a hobby shop in Perth (I live in ACT)--just google ''Devcon 2 Ton Australia'' ---and something will come up--
I went off it as I think it's a bit too brittle for a topcoat, but excellent for hangers and bibs (just my opinion, others love it).
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:14pm
I recently purchased this Epoxy by Pioneer (Gess Group) on the recommendation of a mate. Reasonably priced also. Just opened the cans today, consistency a bit thicker than Araldite and a light pink colour. Alright for hangers but may be a problem with clear Poly bibs. Mixed up a batch and doing a test on strength and pot life.

Fysshe
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Fysshe Salmon Fysshe Salmon wrote:

I recently purchased this Epoxy by Pioneer (Gess Group) on the recommendation of a mate. Reasonably priced also. Just opened the cans today, consistency a bit thicker than Araldite and a light pink colour. Alright for hangers but may be a problem with clear Poly bibs. Mixed up a batch and doing a test on strength and pot life.

Would interested to see the results of the testing. I’d prefer it in clear although.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 8:17am
Blinky, checked the batch this morning, already set rock hard. Couldn't budge twisted wire hanger with pliers at full force. Working life seems to be the equivalent of Super Strength Araldite. Will try some on next batch of lures, only the viscosity seems to be a concern getting the resin to the bottom of the drilled holes.
Fysshe
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Fysshe Salmon Fysshe Salmon wrote:

Blinky, checked the batch this morning, already set rock hard. Couldn't budge twisted wire hanger with pliers at full force. Working life seems to be the equivalent of Super Strength Araldite. Will try some on next batch of lures, only the viscosity seems to be a concern getting the resin to the bottom of the drilled holes.

Sounds like the strength in tension would be fine, the high viscosity may be a hindrance to syringing.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:12am
Found this stuff, got some on the way.
Twice the tensile strength of Devcon 2 Ton. 4,500 PSI compared to 2,250.

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:33pm
I know most your guys' lures are made with off-shore in mind, and therefore ultimate strength and durability is a must. more reason for the wire-through design and epoxied terminals.
what are your thoughts for the average freshwater fish though? I know the plugs made in my parts all just use the screw-in eyehooks, and they just screw them in AFTER they have done their painting and topcoat. I have never been a fan of the eyehooks, that's why I went to the hole-through design with my lures. plus an added bonus, not needing to buy hooks and swivels, etc, for every lure.
but I have made a new style of lure and it doesn't suit itself to that style, as it's a longer lure. so I have started making my own eyehooks, twisting the wire myself. it works great, nice homemade eyehooks. but i'm no fan of simply screwing them in and leaving them raw like that. they would probably be fine, as I will be clear-coating with them in, and that will secure them plenty I would think. but I think I will epoxy them in as well, just to sleep better at night, knowing they will never, ever go anywhere. overkill for sure, for what I fish, but better safe than sorry.
I will just use the 2-ton probably. but I can more easily get my hands on that bob smith stuff that you are showing there, blinky. my concern would be it's possible yellowing or uv glow. I guess it's not really an issue, being that it's being used more internally though.
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by beer-breath beer-breath wrote:

I know most your guys' lures are made with off-shore in mind, and therefore ultimate strength and durability is a must. more reason for the wire-through design and epoxied terminals.
what are your thoughts for the average freshwater fish though? I know the plugs made in my parts all just use the screw-in eyehooks, and they just screw them in AFTER they have done their painting and topcoat. I have never been a fan of the eyehooks, that's why I went to the hole-through design with my lures. plus an added bonus, not needing to buy hooks and swivels, etc, for every lure.
but I have made a new style of lure and it doesn't suit itself to that style, as it's a longer lure. so I have started making my own eyehooks, twisting the wire myself. it works great, nice homemade eyehooks. but i'm no fan of simply screwing them in and leaving them raw like that. they would probably be fine, as I will be clear-coating with them in, and that will secure them plenty I would think. but I think I will epoxy them in as well, just to sleep better at night, knowing they will never, ever go anywhere. overkill for sure, for what I fish, but better safe than sorry.
I will just use the 2-ton probably. but I can more easily get my hands on that bob smith stuff that you are showing there, blinky. my concern would be it's possible yellowing or uv glow. I guess it's not really an issue, being that it's being used more internally though.

The vast majority of my lures are made for freshwater fish mainly Barra, I went away from the full wire years ago and in my opinion, it's not required, even for saltwater use. A well constructed twisted wire hook hanger will do the job, the timber body of the lure will give way first. All my eyes with the exception of the tail eye, are put in prior to painting so the epoxy will be covered by paint and cleared over. I would prefer to use clear epoxy but the Devcon 2 Ton is proving quite difficult to source. The place I ordered the Devcon from just called and told me that BSI is the replacement as Devcon is no longer available........

I've done a couple of pull tests on the twisted wires with both Araldite 24 hr and Z-poxy 30 minute with pleasing results: http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/testing_topic20665.html

I'll do another for the BSI epoxy as well and see how it performs, with a tensile strength (TS) of 4,500 PSI I expect it to perform well. My research tells me that Araldite Super Strength has a TS of 3,770 PSI, while the Z-poxy is 2,500 PSI.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic