LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Destinations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DJR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DJR
    Posted: 24 May 2015 at 8:48am
Well the barra are schooling up as is the same every year when the water temp hits 18 to 20 % , The only issue is their almost only interested in big live mullet, However the odd fish is still there if you know where to look. Did manage 26 for the two days. Had to share this qld groper caught on Darrens lure and a silver bitti, The barra are all around the same size with few exceptions this year , Due to now wet i would think.
peter
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:36pm
Nice looking groper Peter, and great photo!
cheers steiny
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 2:21pm
AWESOME stuff boys nice lures darren that groper is a stunnerClapClapClapClapBig smileBig smileregards bob
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 2:23pm
Nice fish, what size were the Barra?
Cheers Steve
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 2:54pm
I will guess about 70cm?
cheers steiny
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 4:17pm
Those groper are stunning.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 4:51pm
26 barra in 2 days is a nice score - top looking groperThumbs Up - would look pretty on the plateLOL
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:56am
Sorry boys, Groper released , They have to be one of the most pretty fish out there and only 2 silvers taken, I release nearly all Barra, Their not that good as a table fish. Of course im spoilt.Jack , Fingermark or Golden Snapper, Whichever you prefer and Threadfin not so lucky. Cheers Peter.
peter
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:00am
Didn,t check size but almost all Barra this year around this size, Only one over the mt and 2 in the 900s, But up to 68 to date in total. You could check lure against fish to get size.

peter
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 6:39pm
All good Peter, too many people these days are too willing to call other peoples fish smaller then what they are. Me, unless there is something very obvious, I take it on what the captor says.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:12pm
Hi Peter
Nice fish at 70 something, that's the size we like to eat them, we throw 80 + fish back, those 90 and metery fish are good for photos though 😀 I was curious about the size as after a few poor wet seasons in a row up here it's obvious that there's an impact on breeding cycles and size of fish. I agree with you on table quality, Barra are ok but threadfin, fingermark, jacks and Jew are much better. We went to Channel Point weekend before last and caught 3 black Jew and 6 fingermark, we ate the Jew every night last week, yummy! Sounds like you're having a good trip.
Cheers Steve
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:58am
Thanks Steve, Yes this is the first non wet since ive been coming here 2001 being the first and it has had a big inpact on the size of the barra but not the numbers being caught. Also the crab and prawn numbers are well down as well all around here. I fish Robbinson River to No 6 Creek past Rossi Creek and my camp is on Lousy near the Wearyian so i get to see a lot of water, Bloody lucky i recon to get paid to do this x amount of months of the year . Nailed a 800 yesterday on one of Barneys lures. Mainly Cod and the usual mix of winter stuff now though , Same everywhere i would think. Big gutiar and sing song night tm night at the camp so big headache i think and a day of on thursday. Any of you want to know any info on around here let me know i will do my best to help. Cheers Peter.
peter
D.Dads View Drop Down
Ron Davies Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.Dads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 7:26pm
groper is great must look excellent in flesh Ron
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 9:20pm
Good lures them DJR's catch some quality fish .Clap
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 10:30pm
Darren you are making a great lure mate they are catching heaps from what I have seen lately

Cheers Flacco
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 12:02am
Thanks Mr Viper and Gaz
cheers steiny
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic