LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Blast from the past
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does anyone remember this Tackle Shop?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anyone remember this Tackle Shop?
    Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 2:24pm
Does anyone remember this Tackle Shop?
It was in Elizabeth Arcade near the mall in Brisbane during the 80's or 90's.
I don't even remember the name of it but used to go in there on the way to uni.
Great little shop - anyone know its history?
Flashshad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flashshad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 3:36pm
Brisbane City Tackle
One on fake is better than ten on bait!!
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 4:52pm
don't mean to hijack this thread but it reminded me when i worked as a mail boy in the railways in the mid seventies. there was a sports store in adelaide st i think, i put a single barrel shot-gun on lay-buy, a whole $59, took me six weeks or so to pay it off. went home on the bus with it in a box , clearly marked with a picture and wording of what was inside.didn't get a second look from anyone, nobody said anything. try that now. i used to buy ammo, 30-30 and shot-gun, from david jones at garden city in the eighties.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 7:05pm
Chep, I went in there a couple of times as a kid going to the pin ball arcades - only a little store but full of stock and atmosphere.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 7:10pm
Geez, last time I was in there was for a open night and seminar by Mal Florence. That was many many many many moons ago, almost off the memory banks.

Brad

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 7:20pm
Between the internet and BCF in the not distant future we will all be reminiscing about independent Tackle shops Ouch Probably inside the next decade fishing tackle will go down the gurgler just like Hardware has, I have worked with my hands since leaving school and money (no matter how much you have) can't buy decent tools anymore, it's all about price point and failing sooner rather than later. But hey! We all want everything cheaper, but quality will always suffer with price. Worse than that is the total "dumbing down" of fisherman, I can tell a BCF club member within 30 secs of chatting LOL
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 7:29pm
BCF.........Bogans Catch Fish Wink
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

BCF.........Bogans Catch Fish Wink
For Blokes who Can't Fish Wink
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:09am
He move out due to the alterations to the building mid 90's I had a chat to him before he left.

Regards John
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:40am
Showing my age, but as a young bloke can remember 'Pick O The World', in Hay St. Haymarket, Sydney.
Harro fondly recalls this store, in his early writings, when he was a young copper on the beat.
A real Alladins Cave, that place, of course only browsed, didn't have any money LOL.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
River Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 12:22pm
Dallas Wades sport store in Cessnock, bought my first reel there, little alley side cast with rose wood spool still got it. Place was packed with guns and tackle. Used to buy my slugs for my cicada slug gun off him. Yep things have changed and not always for the better
David
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 5:40pm
Favorite tackle shops
Ern Webbs in wollongong
Mcallums in Nowra
F.O.W in Darwin
Tackle warehouse in Brisbane
Cairns Tackle and Bait
The boatshed in North Haven
The lure shop in Cooktown
and heaps of little ones inbetween!
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Dragonfly4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragonfly4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:52pm
my first post; I believe one of harros protégés may have worked at the arcade store in Brisbane and was a mad keen fly fisherman , name escapes me . . Does anyone remember Terrys drycleaners at Petrie(Terry Ryan) . Just like the barbers shops , he sold tackle and taught fishing as a craft at the local high school . His recommended text book was the anglers omnibus .
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 6:19pm
I only went into that tackle shop once. But the Anglers Omnibus was the first fishing publication I ever bought (fell apart from too much reading {drooling}) but you still see them at antique / 2nd hand book stores.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 6:54pm
Here's one for you, bet there won't be many remember this one, if any. Down stairs at the Town Hall railway station in Sydney, I used to buy my Rock Fishing gear from him in 1968.

Cheers (a old SamuraiLOL)
Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
Paul G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 7:09pm
What a great thread!! (Tho it has been hijacked a little)

I loved going into Wilks sports store and tobacconist in Maitland, typical old fashioned tackle shop, got the slugs for the gamo, lures for the bass, arrows for the bow, and beadies to smoke behind the sports shed after school (yuck!!)

Cheers,
Paul.
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 7:42pm
I worked in the biggest…..but the best was Bob Nivens in Sydney.(about 30-35 years ago)

Baroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 6:41am
BCF - BLOODY COSTLY FISHING.
They are no cheaper than our traditional Tackle Shops.
They are not staffed by fishermen,there is no knowledge of the product.
In the Hunter we have now lost KURRI TACKLE at Kurri Kurri,owned and operated by Alex Mychas.
A man of imense knowledge and willing to chase all over the nation to secure the unprocurable.
Regards,

Marc - STDZ Lures - Catch fish,fish a STDZ instead.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 2:04pm
Samurai, you must be older than me LOL, don't remember downstairs at Town Hall Station, but remember 'Pick O the World' in the Haymarket.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Andy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 4:34pm
Who remembers the 'old' Fisherman's Corner that used to be on the esplanade in Hervey Bay?? Spent sooo many hours in that shop as a kid!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 4:56pm
Pedro's bait tackle tewantin qld....
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 3:06pm
I have only just noticed this thread. I remember the shop at Town Hall Station well. It was called Town Hall Sports and was popular with me because he offered a flat 20% discount on large items of tackle. I also remember Bob Niven's in Campbell Street. Part museum, part store. My favourite of the oldies is the shop from which I bought my first lures, Hank Newman's at Bondi Junction. I still have a Newman 10kg full roller game rod (on a Sportex blank) but alas no "Hank-lon" line (his eponymous house brand) to put on the old special Senator that graces it. Paul is right about the passing of independent tackle stores. Its true in NZ too. McCarthy's was a famous old tackle store in Dunedin that closed a few years back or more correctly morphed into a hunting store. I bought a lovely Gerber "Trout and Bird" knife from them in their re-organisation sale for about $20 NZ - when I asked if they had a box for the knife the fellow looked at me gruffly and told me not to push my luck. I have got to stop but the location of the old Weiss Supermarket in Broadway is still marked by mosaic of an angler and a leaping fish in the upper facade of the building  Regards, Ken.
Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 8:02pm
I still have my Gerber Trout and Bird.....

Lionel
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 8:32am
The old sport store in Smithton  Tas closed down a Father and Son operation, back in its hay day push bicycles were the man income earning pre world war   2
Fishing gear became an additional line in the 50's
Last days before the the business closed they discovered old packaged lures with shillings and pence recorded on them.

Just converted 3/6 to 35cents

Some interesting gear was acquired at the time and some old early reel parts

Regards John

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic