LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Durable clear that preserves 3D details?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Durable clear that preserves 3D details?
    Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 1:31pm
Hey guys,

I've been inspired by some of the great and artistic lure makers on here, particularly Chris (Fugly Lures) and Matt (Barambah Lures) and have decided to have a go at making something that has a lot of 3D detail but also swims.

I'm planning on a noisy top water bait (walker & maybe fizzing popper) which should allow me a little play with the hydrodynamics of the shape, so I'm confident I can achieve a good swimming action with a little tinkering.

My question for the brain trust is, what would you use as a top coat for this type of lure if you wanted to preserve the 3D detail on the lure? Think of detail that is only slightly deeper than say, hand carved scales but unlike scales, filling the detail with epoxy would ruin the finished look of the lure.

These will be resin cast for two reasons, I have no desire to carve what I have in mind every time I make a lure and I want to fish them, so the clear doesn't need to be as bulletproof as a product that you would use on an individually carved wooden bait.

I appreciate any advice you have on this guys.

Cheers,

Ces.

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 3:23pm
When you say filling the detail with epoxy will ruin it what do you mean?
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

I reckon he means he wants something that doesnt fill in the grooves etc , he doesnt want the texture to be filled , catching what I am throwing ?  Big smile
I like pretty painted sticks
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Jeff Jeff wrote:

Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

I reckon he means he wants something that doesnt fill in the grooves etc , he doesnt want the texture to be filled , catching what I am throwing ?  Big smile

Yep. Pretty much right, texture and detail.

Nicho- In order to for the look of the lure's imitation of the object to be convincing I want to stay away from pools of shiny epoxy setting in the recesses of the details. In fact, a matte finish would probably sell the illusion even better with this idea.

Thanks guys.

Ces.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 2:44pm
i dont want to give away how i do my satin finishes on an open forum but i'll send you a pm a bit later Ces
that's no how ye make porridge!
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 3:19pm
Thank you very much Chris. i really appreciate it.
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 11:58am
Hi Ces,

Just wondering how you went with your lure finish, as I also use 3D Printers for my prototyping work, and as you said you can get that extra detail sometimes.

My you I still have to say that I cant beat the time / effort and finished result of a well crafted timber lure -
Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Lycan Lycan wrote:

Hi Ces,

Just wondering how you went with your lure finish, as I also use 3D Printers for my prototyping work, and as you said you can get that extra detail sometimes.

My you I still have to say that I cant beat the time / effort and finished result of a well crafted timber lure -

G'day Lycan,

I'm still working on the master mate. It will probably take me awhile. At the moment, I finish about 20 lures a year due to the normal commitments. I am actually hand modelling the master, not using a printer. I have shaped the design on top of a lure blank and am pretty close to finishing it but will need to develop some molding skills and pump out some buoyant blanks before I even look at trying the top coat options.

I was just planning ahead, although I'm pretty excited about getting this one through the R & D stage as I know I'll get a real kick out of catching a fish on it (hands together, eyes to the sky).

I agree with you about the special quality of a hand finished timber lure, however its becoming increasingly clear that for my situation, resin casting is probably the way to go. Particularly if I want to produce enough lures to be able to only fish my own (and the occasional LL member's lureWink) .

I'll post up the finished lure when it happens and let you know about how I go with finishes but it could be a little while mate, sorry.

Cheers,

Ces.
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 2:51pm
Hi Ces, 

Very nice to be mentioned alongside Mr Fugly, I just use a 2 pack clear automotive paint. 

One trick could be to spray a your base coat, then do a contrasting colour on an angle so that you highlight you scales/groves etc - before clear coating. 

Makes the most of your patterning/details

Good luck

Matt
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 11:13am
Originally posted by matt fraser matt fraser wrote:

Hi Ces, 

Very nice to be mentioned alongside Mr Fugly, I just use a 2 pack clear automotive paint. 

One trick could be to spray a your base coat, then do a contrasting colour on an angle so that you highlight you scales/groves etc - before clear coating. 

Makes the most of your patterning/details

Good luck

Matt

G'day Matt,

thanks for the tips about your clear process and painting. The finish on those Dragons is beautiful.

I can't believe I'm going to put this on the internet but when I was a kid I played a little D & D and got into some model painting because of it. I imagine that I will be hand painting much of this lure, drawing on some skills I haven't used in over two decades. I didn't have an airbrush back then, so I will be using it for base coating and initial highlights but the bulk will be with a brush.

Going to have to get something done on this. Dont want to be the 'gunna' guy on the forum.

Cheers mate,

Ces.
samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 12:54pm
Very Nice lures Matt, what brand 2 pack are you using?

Warren
Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 12:56pm
Haha, my brother and his mates were into D&D way back, staying up until stupid hours of the morning. I never got it. But know what you mean with the pieces.

Good luck with the paint brush, I haven't gone there. But I know a guy at Nerang that does awesome fibreglass fish mounts and all the scales and detail are handpainted - does an amazing job.

Good luck

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic