LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Echo creations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 11:04am
All good Raffey...
Just curious what you were using.

They look sesational...Definitely love the finish in them.

I guess we'll see a stall next expo? lol

Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 7:10pm
G'day Saito,

Apologies mate - I missed your reply. Thanks for your comments. I doubt I'll have a stall any time soon but you never know - July is a long time away
It's tough because I get bored with repetition and I usually dislike doing a colour pattern more than once. I do however have half a dozen individual lures that I would happily spray again if need be so I might do a big batch of copies in the future.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 7:25pm
I had a bit of spare time yesterday so I sprayed up a handful of new colour patterns. I was happy with all of them, and thought I might throw this ultra deep Merrit up as it is a bit different as far as Echo looks go. I felt like creating a vintage look and on the list of criteria were reversed irises, a simple semi original pattern (hopefully), and a couple of complimenting colours that I attempted to blend as well as I could.

I will pull this out over summer and use it as retro intimidation when fishing with mates

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 8:12pm
good freshwater colors....good colors all round.
nice
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 8:36pm
I cleared this little rainbow trout pattern today, and am hoping it produces the goods next trip to Jindy

Happy with the way it worked incorporating the old lace pattern onto the flanks of the baby Merrit to divide the pink and blue segments that little rainbows often have.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 8:47pm
Interesting
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 7:19pm
I really enjoyed spraying the Merrit pictured above in old school colours and basic patterning. So much so that I decided to do a few more models in that old style.

Warilu. This particular one I have planned for the Clyde River to try for Jewfish on the slack tide.

Jinjulu

Gimlet

Deep Marlock

Ultra Deep Baby Merrit

Happy with the yesteryear look across the models.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Alljo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alljo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 8:31pm
Your work is outstanding lace master keep up the awsome work.Great old school look and again the eyes the eyes!!!!!!!@
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 8:34pm

Cheers Graeme
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 9:03pm
Danny

I'm in awe yet again...

Outstanding...

JOKER View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Shane Love Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 9:29pm
Your work is so clean & sharp.....quality work on each of your creations those that get em r lucky mate.....cheers Shane....
Whatever
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 8:19pm
Glad you like them guys, thanks for the comments they are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 8:33pm
I sprayed up these two deep Marlocks yesterday, and thought I'd post them while they still look new (or while they still are in my possession) as they are going to be trolled through some deeper spots in a larger south coast river soon. Big tailor and duskies haunt the area so if one grabs on I suspect the lure is coming back a little less pretty.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 12:35am

Cheers Graeme
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 12:21pm
Raffey this vintage lot are such a great set of lures. The paint jobs and finishes are great and the little lace trout is beautiful.

Well done, mate.

Got a question about your hook hangers, are you doing them yourself or are they screw eyes you have purchased? I only ask because I'm considering what way I will pursue in the future and they look great.

Thanks mate
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 3:12pm
Beautiful work Danny! I especially like your paintjobs, Its great to see all your various patterns, colours and styles. I can see you are still experimenting and getting better all the time.
Thanks for showing us!

Matt
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:29pm
Thanks guys - I think it's a good idea to amalgamate all of the lures I decide to post into this one thread. It's better record keeping for myself and easier to track for others. I've noticed P.J., Hazmail, and M.Z. have done it for their lure creations and techniques, while John (Screamingreel) has a fantastic story through his updated posts on the fishing at Eucumbene. Happy to keep posting if you like seeing them.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:51pm
Hi Ces.

The hook hangers are screw-ins mate. They are the only thing apart from split rings and snaps that I don't make myself. I drill a slightly smaller hole than the eyelet in the timber before it's primed and painted, poke a little dollop of glue into the hole then twist the eyelet in. Too bigger hole and you're relying on the glue itself to hold it in, too smaller and you'll split the wood - especially at the rear hanger of tiny lures where the timber tapers off. Some would argue that you don't need the glue for screw in eyelets, however I don't want the eyelet moving at all. As soon as it moves, it breaks the seal between the sealer, primer, paint and clearcoat etc and the raw cedar is exposed to water. It seeps in, expands the timber (only has to be a slight expansion) and cracks the lure from the eyelets long ways up and down the lure.

I think this is the advantage of twisted eyelets as seen in older lures like Paul Kneller's Deceptions. I have come across a lot of his twisted wire Yabbies, Shrimp and Cherax and they have never had any cracks/splits in them. There is a big solid dollop of glue at the eyelets of his lures (and often around the bib) making it as close to 100% watertight as I would ever want if I was fishing them. These lures are up to 25 years old and a lot have been fished hard before I got them.

Others might not see it like this however that is my take on it. When eyelets have moved a bit on my lures (anti-clockwise) the lure ends up splitting. When they have remained rock solid, the lure has stayed near mint (apart from a bit of hook rash over time).

Hope this helps mate,

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:55pm
Thanks Matt. Seriously can't stop looking at those Crays you made mate. One of the best things ever   

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Raffey Raffey wrote:

Hi Ces.

The hook hangers are screw-ins mate. They are the only thing apart from split rings and snaps that I don't make myself. I drill a slightly smaller hole than the eyelet in the timber before it's primed and painted, poke a little dollop of glue into the hole then twist the eyelet in. Too bigger hole and you're relying on the glue itself to hold it in, too smaller and you'll split the wood - especially at the rear hanger of tiny lures where the timber tapers off. Some would argue that you don't need the glue for screw in eyelets, however I don't want the eyelet moving at all. As soon as it moves, it breaks the seal between the sealer, primer, paint and clearcoat etc and the raw cedar is exposed to water. It seeps in, expands the timber (only has to be a slight expansion) and cracks the lure from the eyelets long ways up and down the lure.

I think this is the advantage of twisted eyelets as seen in older lures like Paul Kneller's Deceptions. I have come across a lot of his twisted wire Yabbies, Shrimp and Cherax and they have never had any cracks/splits in them. There is a big solid dollop of glue at the eyelets of his lures (and often around the bib) making it as close to 100% watertight as I would ever want if I was fishing them. These lures are up to 25 years old and a lot have been fished hard before I got them.

Others might not see it like this however that is my take on it. When eyelets have moved a bit on my lures (anti-clockwise) the lure ends up splitting. When they have remained rock solid, the lure has stayed near mint (apart from a bit of hook rash over time).

Hope this helps mate,

Cheers,

Danny.

Thanks Danny. Helps alot mate. Very detailed response and just the info I was after.

Cheers,

Ces.
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 11:49am
No worries Ces.

I think you'll find all the information you'll need on this forum, either by going through previous threads on lure making or simply asking questions. I was still doing aeroplanes with my food in the 80's when parts of the Aussie timber lure industry started booming so I can only imagine how difficult it would have been for new lure makers - no search engines or forums, and I'm guessing a fair bit of it would have been closed shop and very hush hush. I'm yet to meet a lure maker. Everything I've learned has been from posts on this forum, speaking with it's helpful members and to some extent collecting lures. It's a great era to be learning in with all of this information at your fingertips.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 1:00pm
You are right Danny , lure making back then was a secret society but its good to see some old lure makers sharing there knowledge on this forum for new lure makers to perfect the art of lure making and thats what it is, an art, its great to see that you have made some awesome lures just from information from this site , and to state the factThumbs Up cheers pearcey
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 4:58pm
For sure Pearcey. The wealth of knowledge on this site contributed by seasoned luremakers is immense. I hope it always remains active for everyone to use and doesn't disappear, taking all this irreplaceable information with it.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 2:37pm
Since the last trout trip to Jindabyne, I've been itching to get back there. A good way to pass a bit of spare time was to spray a few more lures in anticipation of the next adventure.

The Jinjulu was very successful so I've added a couple more. The metal bib in trout waters is new territory for me. It has a reasonably clean and narrow upright action which, combined with a natural looking paintjob, might just be ok.

This deconstructed rainbow trout Gimlet has been given a slightly deeper bib to hopefully get in range of those big daytime brownies sitting lower in the water column.

The action, depth and fish catching ability of Rob's 1.5mm lexan bibbed Mini Tonk is outstanding. It got to fish that my deep bibbed baby Merrits couldn't get anywhere near. It's encouraged me to try and get even more depth and high frequency out of my smaller lures. Here's two baby Merrits with new ultra deep 1mm bibs. I like the action on them. Time will tell if trout do

Ready for next trip. Rob's Mini Tonk is heavily outnumbered sitting bottom right in the box. Rob you will just have to send a couple more down here to ensure a bigger representation

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 4:06pm
More nice lures Danny. Really great work.

I have found everyone on here to be very generous with their knowledge when asked and of course there's a depth of knowledge already recorded in the posts on the forum. It really is a great source of lure making know-how, a place to learn lure about appreciation and there's a good vibe on here.

thanks everyone.

And thanks Danny for posting. Inspirational mate.
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 4:07pm
Beautiful lures Danny lovely work. Regards Chris
All my braids gone!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 6:22pm
Very nicely finished - well doneThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 6:51pm
I am a big fan of the striped lace pattern you are using ATM. Nice work Danny!
cheers steiny
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 9:10pm
Thanks Ces, Chris, Martin and Steiny.

Yeah Steiny I'm happy with that pattern too. Have never seen it anywhere else so hopefully it can become the quintessential Echo pattern.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Alistair View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alistair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 10:06pm
First time I have seen it on a lure so as far as I know it is an original Echo patternThumbs Up

Alistair.

Comfort the disturbed - Disturb the comfortable.
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 7:29am
danny
they are too nice to have fish chew on them !!!  i would just want to sit there with a glass of wine & look at them !!!  ClapClap
cheers
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 5:02pm
Cheers Alistair - stoked with it actually. If you spray up enough patterns I guess you'll find one that clicks.

Thanks Bazza. A couple of them got chewed and chipped yesterday. A big brown did quite a bit of damage to one of them. Worth it though

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:32pm
So you should be stoked mate, lovely looking bunch of lures right there Thumbs Up Cheers Paul.
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 9:30pm
Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 12:05am
I have never done much fresh water or creek fishing, and until I came in here I never realized that there was so much lure making taking place
The quality and finish displayed on these lures is nothing less than outstanding and from the comments displayed they swim and catch fish
This is amazing and the work once again Outstanding
To prove my stupidity and ignorance I have to ask do you do this as a business or just a hobby.
Pleasure to see your work
Kim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic