LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Blast from the past
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father Son Memories

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Father Son Memories
    Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:55pm
I really enjoyed reading Matt Fraser's post about his recent trip with his young bloke and it got me thinking about my Dad and all of the wonderful trips we used to do when I was a kid. This photo is one of my earliest memories fishing with Dad. I'm 9 at the time, and the Drummer I'm holding nearly ripped me off the rocks and into the pot hole I tussled it out of. I remember even as a 4 or 5 year old being woken up for trips hours before the sun rose, and I'd have to climb into the car through the driver side because the 12 foot Snyder Glas rods matched with Alveys used to run from the back seat right out the passenger front window and were tied down around the front of the vehicle. I'd sit on the rocks all day (until I was old enough to fish along side him) and watch his Luderick float disappear amongst the suds, followed by a subtle strike and a skilled battle which more often than not resulted in another nice 'bronzey' in the keeper net that I was tending to in the rock pool.

He taught me more than I could have ever hoped to learn about fishing as a kid, which included respect for fish and the environment that we all shared. He died tragically when I was still quite young, and every minute I spent fishing with him is treasured. His name was Max.

Danny.
Echo Lures
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 11:55pm
Thanks for sharing those memories Danny. I'm sure your Dad would be happy to see he'd passed on the enthusiasm for fishing to you.

the fish aren't art critics
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 6:22am
Great photo Danny....the smile from both sides says it all.
cheers steiny
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 6:27am
My  earliest fishing memory are of dad and me fishing for whiting at the enterence, but my best fishing memory is is Gramps, dad and me slaying pigs at Bonny Hills in the early 80,s.

As Stieny said, the smiles say it all! Top pic.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 8:57am
What a great photo Danny, to go with your treasured memories. He obviously set you on a good path in those early years. You can see the mutual pride and admiration and the smiles! Thanks for sharing.
Matt
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 9:17am
google a song called "MY FATHERS SON" by joe cocker and have a listen.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:44pm
Great pic danny.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 6:11pm
Great Memories Danny, It's great to spend time with the old man fishing and Max will be still
fishing mate.

Cheer's,Thumbs Up
Dave
Life is fishing!
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 8:44pm
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Mick, I had a listen to that song it's a great one.

Dave I'm the same as you, I used to fish the entrance with Dad as well when we lived on the central coast.

Would love to hear some stories from others.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 7:30am
At a young age my father used to work 2 jobs after losing most of his money in a mining share scam on the Darling Downs so we didn't have the money to travel much to fish. When we were able to then we had to make sure the trip paid for itself in fish meals so we were "meat fishermen". (At this time most of my fishing was catching eels in the polluted creek down the road, everybody else used to kill them as bragging rights but after a while I thought that there was no sense in that).

Dad started rock fishing with a neighbour but I wasn't allowed to go until I turned 13 as I was, at that time very very skinny and quite small and dad was worried about my physical ability to fish the northern NSW rocks. Beach fishing was ok as I was a good swimmer and knew how to handle a rip if I ever needed to. We used to hire out a tinny every now and again to fish Jumpinpin, but once again, we had to bring home enough to make it financially worthwhile. 

Dad died when I was 24 and was also going out fishing on my own or with friends and we have very few photos of those times when and I can't find them at the moment. But I still remember every spot we went fishing and the memories especially flood back whenever I fish Fingal Head.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 10:08pm
Thanks for the story Martin. Good to see you had some quality time fishing together, although there could never be enough I feel.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 6:44am
Great story Martin, I know how it feels like mate, we had the same problem '' no money for holidays.

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 7:28am
Memories of fishing with Dad,

There was little time I had fishing with Dad because he was in WW2 and he was a POW for 4 years in Changi camp. When he return from war he was sick, never really knew him and that's when my uncle step in.

Good memories of fishing the Murray river, Browns beach, local dams and fishing over Kangaroo Island. My Uncle took us clay shooting, duck shooting, that's where my name Mad Dog came from because he had a gun dog nickname "Mad Dog". 

Cheers,Thumbs Up
Dave

Life is fishing!
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 3:30pm
Danny, awesome memories .... every year I take my father (early '80's) and son (early 20's) away for a fishing adventure.

Last few years were Glenlyon, Jindabyne and Groote Is - 2016 planning either PNG or Peter Faust.

3 generations together each year for a week fishing will stay with me as lasting memories forever .... I keep on saying to my Son, don't just remember what your Grandfather looked like, hear his voice, understand his personality and feel his soul and never forget it Thumbs Up

Cheers

Rob

Tonk Lures
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 8:35pm
Your Fathers are all still watching you and waiting for you to pass on what they gave to you .
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 8:58pm
Good words mr murphy
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:30pm
Rob and Shane - thanks for the nice words.

Rob those trips sound great, that's just fantastic.

Shane - I certainly hope so.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
cheffrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheffrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 11:22pm

my father a wonderful man extremely hard working and gave us everything we ever needed but no defiantly not a fisherman

this did not stop him from taking me out. i came home 1day and and he had bought a 12ft flat bottom punt with a 3hp on it 

he would take me out driving the tinny up and down the creek with his radio and race form in hand whilst i attempted to fish. 

its the thought that counts.
You Can't Pull Your Socks up If you Don't Have Any On
madoldeel View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.
fake profile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madoldeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 6:43pm
Thanks Danny for the window into your childhood.Great read & it got me thinking about fishing with my old man way back in the 70`s & 80`s when I was growing up.Flathead,bream,whiting & jew were what we chased.He is now near 80 & not real good so fishing trips are a thing of the past but I still tell him my stories of the stretched fish that got away...Some of the best times of my life now I am lucky enough to have a son who I take fishing.20 this year he is & we fish only when he has days off from work & when he is not hanging with mates.But every day we fished after school, to check the crab pots we put out before school,weekends fishing every minute.We once entered a flathead comp using soft plastic`s,after being told we would not catch as many as the live baits we used to use....at the end of the comp Friday 4pm to Sunday 6pm we got 118 points second place got 3 points...yeap my son & self killed them...still laugh about their looks when we showed them all the photo`s...nothing is better than fishing with your dad or son....have even had the 3 generations in the boat at the same time....& twice the old bugger hooked my head casting soft plastic`s,,,,great times....makes life worth living...
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:22pm
A northern NSW fishing trip with dad, pops and dad's friends. First photo is my father furtherest right, then me feeding my face (always hungry), then my grandfather. Only found these photos when preparing my mother's funeral last year. I was 15 then, didn't start growing until that ChristmasLOL.

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 8:45pm
Great stories lads. Thanks for sharing.

This photo has pride of place on my dresser. It was at our favorite luderick fishing spot on the south coast and was taken on one of the last fishing trips together just before he passed.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:29pm
Treasured memories
madoldeel View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.
fake profile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madoldeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 2:56pm
Just came back from a quick walk of the sand flats with my son....a few good lizards all being set free & ended the session with the boy catching a massive sting ray on 6 pound...unbelievable would of gone 25kgs...walked about 6 kms in knee deep water with only 1 bull shark giving us a bit of a tickle....
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 4:39pm
here's my son darren taken at b.s.f.c junior comp we fished in late 70's with darryl steel and ron henderson
doing presentations 
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic