LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Favourite Lure by species
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

favourite carp lure??????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by weaver weaver wrote:

I must add the the barb layed below my fingernail and the fish straightened the back split ring ...... it hurt like hell but not as much as pulling it out

Weaver, I have been there and done that, not a pretty sight.
Baitman
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:44pm

Edible? or not, carp r great fun on light gear n bass lures. Heres one my brother caught in the Hunter

Illusion Lures
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 3:46pm
I see all those carp caught on lures and wonder what the difference is between the carp there and here . The carp in the U.S. are rarely caught on lures . They won't hardly touch them . 
You and I can make a positive difference in someones life every day if only for a moment.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:11pm
Plugcasting with Dynamite works good.
The Journey is the Reward

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:32pm
carbite, was it a popular form of fishing equipment back in the 50' and 60's, dangerous ,and reacted to water.. I think it was available through the mines in Tassie at the time.
regards John
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 11:23pm
I've used it . I still have a carbide lantern . But I don't think I can buy carbide for it any more .
You and I can make a positive difference in someones life every day if only for a moment.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 6:44pm

I don't think our Asian or European members would like these suggestions seeing as they adore them so much. But, as like anything, a pest is a plant or an animal out of place and these fish are well and truely out of place in Australia.    All the same, would love to dynamite mum's lagoon LOLLOLLOL

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 8:51pm
we had carp in the creek behind our place prior to the flood beautiful fish some were real pretty colors .they would take niether bait lure or fly,i hate em!
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 11:35pm
We are allowed to fish trash fish like carp and gar with bows and arrows . So there is certain sense of, for want of a better word (revenge ) in that  seeing as how they just take up space other fish could use to grow bigger.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 11:19pm
Chris, I would be guessing those were Koi Carp, liberated by some well meaning but ill informed person. If a population interbreeds they slowly trend back to the original grey of the base species which is the Euro Carp. but along the way there are many varigated colours and patterns.
There was a similar population below North Pine dam, but I haven't been out there since the floods to see if they are still present.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Padgey View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Power Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padgey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 11:44pm
when i lived in vic many moons ago a dutch lady lived next door to mum+dad and she would take all the  carp that we got, and loved em, can`t say i have got them on lures, worms, corn, still good fun to catch,but then any fish is fun to catch, back then carp was about the only thing you got, on a trip down to the murray river last december, not one carp, 30 cod, 25 trout cod, 5 yellas, between 5 of us a good days fishin with good mates,cheers Bryan. 
Pressy Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pressy Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

we had carp in the creek behind our place prior to the flood beautiful fish some were real pretty colors .they would take niether bait lure or fly,i hate em!

Hey mate, might have been a different carp? Were they the ones that didn't grow much larger than 40cm and could be colours like orange, red, black, white or a mixture? Because if so not the crappy mud suckers they are talking about. Only ever caught one european carp and it put up one hell of a fight, caught about a dozen of those others (after the floods for some reason they school up, change to aa brown colour and turn from being herbivorous to carnivorous) and even when I hooked them (caught one at 42cm) they wouldn't pull line, they would just feel like you were getting bites from baby redfin. Drag them in and the only fight you got was if you wound them in quick the water pressure on their bodies would cause them to glide sideways in the water. Not much fun at all!

Cheers, Joe.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 7:14pm
There are a few differant types of carp in our waters, called by differant names but still a carp - koi, european, roach, tench, mirrors, and more that I can't remember. Check out this photo of a koi carp pond in a ZOO on the Isle of Wight in the UK.
THEY WOULD LOOK GOOD ON THE END OF AN ARROW WOULDN'T THEY?
Martin-

goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:20pm
TNT ,,Gary
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 1:38pm
You can sell those Koi in the states for pretty good money . People put them in there garden fish ponds . My Uncle had a bunch in his . They started to disappear . he thought they were being caught by racoons . Never did tell him How good a trot line bait they made .
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:50pm
HA HA HA good one Trent. I've seen quite a bit of colouration in our waters but not like this. After a while they just breed out to that yellow colour.  Are you having a problem with those silver carp in your waters - the ones we see on youtube jumping into boats?
Martin-

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:22pm
ClapLOVE RACCONs bro possums with balls cool asClapREGARDS BOB
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 1:47am
Had a racoon as a pet once . Loved grape suckers . By the time he was a year old he got mean as a snake . Had to let him go. You got to admit though those carp come in beautiful colors.
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 8:01am
Love the recipe Verlon!
cheers steiny
Haynesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haynesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 3:52pm
They take any Bass lures in Tallowa Dam and they hit like bulldozers.  Great fun turning their heads on Bass gear.  We love it and also target them in another local dam here...see below

www.inlandangler.com.au
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 4:14pm
well there you go never thought that a carp would take a lure, fly maybe , then it wasnt so long ago that you couldnt catch a bream on a lure or was it, i agree any fish caught on a lure or fly is fine by me , just chuck the carp on the bank for the crows to eat, pearcey
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 8:26pm
Amen brother.

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 8:41pm
i'm cooking the next one i catch,very curious about how they really tasteLOL
ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 8:44pm
Verlon I have no doubt and that hook in human flesh is just WRONG!
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:38pm
Chris I have tried em most ways over the years caught in both muddy and clear water and they still tasted like muddy mush Dead perhaps I was cooking em all wrong Confused as I know some people done here that love eating em but not me!!!!!
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 5:51pm
I bought a smoked fish in Sth Aust called "bream", turned out to be smoked "freshwater bream" alias carp - and it was bloody beautiful.
Martin-

Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 3:57pm
martin    i have hot smoked eel before but smoked carp Ermm ill take your word for it mate that it tasted great if you didnt know what you were eating i suppose thats why it was called freshwater bream, pearcey
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 9:23pm
At one time here in the states a company tried to sell carp in a can . They called it fresh water tuna. They pressure cooked it and seasoned it with salt , black pepper and a hint of garlic . Smelled pretty much like a tin of cat food . That is as far as I got .
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 1:54pm
ok now your starting to put me off fellas especially you ToadyLOL. hey Pearcey ive tried smoked eel too its beautiful ,i knew an old German bloke who caught and smoked eels (yeh he used a big rolley paper),he also gave me some smoked salmon one day which was magnificent except i found out later that it wasn't salmon but lungfish.old bastard! ( R.I,P Ted WinkBig smile)
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 2:05pm
Chris I hear you mate...I went to a good mates place for tea,salmon rissoles never had them before so why not when in ROME & all that crap...well man were the sweet as I ate 14 of them,,,as I choked down my last one ..my mates wife,says Gary have you ever eaten sheep brains before,,I looked at her & said shit no what type of freak do you take me for,,,at which point my mate jumps in & says a really hungry freak Gary..I looked from one to the other when the realization hits me SHIT I just ate a FLOCK of sheeps brains,,,man I ran outside & chucked my date up,,,,PLEASE DO NOT FORWARD THIS ON TO TERRY & PAULIE THEY WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND,,,,I ate there again but it was always food you could look at & say yep that is pizza,,,,Gary
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 2:20pm
oh my chrisShocked lung fish , a bloke wanted me to take him bass fishing in wivenhoe dam but i said we only catch and release but you can have as many forktail catfish as you want he agreed i helped him skin and fillet and he loved them said they tasted great, pearcey
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 5:47pm
"then it wasn't so long ago that you couldn't catch a bream on a lure or was it"...... thanks Dave, you make me feel young Thumbs Up
I used to tell these young fellas on the BREAM tourney trail of catching bream on lures back in the 80's...... and they just didn't want to believe it wasn't a 'NEW' idea LOL
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Pearcey Pearcey wrote:

oh my chrisShocked lung fish , a bloke wanted me to take him bass fishing in wivenhoe dam but i said we only catch and release but you can have as many forktail catfish as you want he agreed i helped him skin and fillet and he loved them said they tasted great, pearcey
i met a bloke down the river one day who used to trade one good sized catfish for a six pack with his Vietnamese nieghbors, have you ever tasted forkies ?,i cooked one up once but it was very flavourless ,i think maybe with some spices or chillie it'd be ok,nah yuk!.better than brains though GaryLOL
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 9:50pm
i got chucked into a butcher shop when i was 14  years old no good at school  had to mind were you steeped with them old butchers but i did grow to like offal ,brains , kidneys , and such still eat them today, pearcey
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 10:09pm
I figured it was carp once I got it out of the packet - still good. Smoked eels - yum, jellied eels - peuk. Liver, kidneys, yeah baby. As kids we used to eat ox tongue sandwiches - never any left.
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic