LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FG Knot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FG Knot
    Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 8:10am
Hi, has anyone used this FG knot. I am traditionally a double to an Albright man and only had failures when I have rushed tying them (like any knot)It doesn't look any near as complicated as some others I have tried and failed on in the past.

Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 9:20am
Very similar to the GT knot and yes, they work Thumbs Up

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 9:51am
Just checked it out, it's a neat looking knot. I've never had any troubles with the Albright which is why I've stuck with it however the FG looks very solid
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 2:09pm
THE nail knot& shock leader knots are allround good stuff never had one let go yet WinkWinkWinkTongueTongueTongueregards bob
justlooking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote justlooking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 3:13pm
Best knot ever !!!
Great for small diameter lines joining
big leaders !!!
Goes through the guides so much 
better than most !!
Go early - Stay late.
BTD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BTD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 7:50pm
Been using the fg for about 4 years in tournaments and social fishing !! If you don't know this knot Lear it !! If you don't you are not serious about lure fishing !!
BTD LURES
reelsandlures63 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reelsandlures63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 3:40pm
it is the only knot I use now and I have not had it fail as yet
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 11:25am
Thanks Gimme  very interesting

Would a dab of that Loons UV knot sense ensure smooth end where the line is cut off.

It seems to be popular  product at the moment (loons UV Knot) up here for trout traces and marking fly line when fishing in the dark.

Regards John

gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 5:43pm
Hi John, what is this loons uv stuff you are referring too as I am not a fly fisho.

Cheers
Col
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 8:48pm
Hi Col

They use a dab on their leaders and also on their fly line to warn they are fast approaching the leader.

Like super glue , but  less dangerous , can be manipulated with fingers in sunlight and goes hard , only need to use a couple of drops, stands out like a pimple on your skin helps when your fingers are frozen.

Regards John
irish View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 12:26pm
G'day.

Thanks for that I have just lurnt a new knot!

Cheers.
Irish.😄
goldtrev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 10:50am
Great knot.  Thank you for the post.
goldtrev
Fishalot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 12:16pm
Always good to learn a new knot, thanks for the info.
NQ FISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NQ FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 9:32pm
Have been trying this knot for the last couple of months, no problems yet.
Bad days fishing is better than a good days work
Cheers chris
goldtrev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 4:25pm
Hi,  have not been fishing for quite a while and have not used this knot.   Any updates?  Is it as good as it looks.   Love to hear from Steven, reelsandlures63 for his opinion in our conditions.

regards  Barry
goldtrev
Fishalot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 5:31pm
Have been using this knot for one and a half years, have caught quite a few one meter Murray River Cod and have not had a problem with it.Clap
Pegasus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 6:45am
I have been using FG knot last few years- very slim line knot and super strong. Few ways/methods of tying and finishing.
Johno100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johno100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 2:34pm
Yep been an albright man for ever but like this and the recomendations has sealed it. Am about to set up some sticks so will try 
Cheers
Addicted to lures ................and fishing of course !!
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 8:42am
this knot is great but doing it on a kitchen table is a bit different than in a rocking and rolling boat with wind,i agree it is slim and bulletproof but too bloody fussy for me and time consuming ,I use the slim beauty and it has been brilliant for me landing many a fish without a breakage eg fouled hooked 8ft bullshark,small black marlin,127cm barra .and it is brilliantly quick to tie .ill leave the FG alone to people with better eye sight lol.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 2:18pm
Has anybody had a problem with this knot untying. I havnt had it fail but I've had the tail come loose on the braid and start to untie. What am I doing wrong?
Dan
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 3:06pm
Yeah mate i have, gone back to bimini twist and albright knot myself !!
Cheers Steve R
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 4:49pm
I used it with suffix 30lb braid to 80lb leader for 18 months and was great. I then changed to fins (as that was the line used for a tournament) and then the untying started. I possibly wasn't doing enough hitches to start with but you could to 10 hitches but at the end of the day a hitch isn't a locking type of knot. I thought maybe I wasn't finishing it properly. Maybe the suffix "locks" better when it's hitched?
Dan
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 10:15pm
Try slim beauty I fish it with all braid sizes and no probs with any
Zads42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zads42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 9:30pm
I've been using the slim beauty for over 10 years and never had one fail and easy to tie in the boat and even at night with a torch.
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 7:12am
spot on there ,easy to tie and you can doit at night no probs ,
Jacks View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 8:20pm
I found some lines held while others slipped. Tried tying tighter with no luck. Scuffing the end of the leader helps considerably,but only us it now on the heavier leaders.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 5:55pm
It has slipped on me a couple of times. So now I have gone back to my own knot - not as slim but it hasn't failed me with any line.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic