LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Balsa Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Balsa Project
    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:37am
Hi

Good morning !! Smile

I am taking my lure making hobby to next level, so far I have been using scrap timber specially pin from wood pallet for making lures.

I made my first set of 3 balsa timber lures and tested them today and got the desired result of wobbling action side to side – head & tail. (Length : 80 mm, weight : 14 gms, bib : Square 26mm x 26 mm, Angle: 30 degree, lead : 3 gm)

Purchased some basic tools & material to begin with like Dremel Tool set ( Non branded), Polycarbonate  sheet ( Amazon store) ,Varner scale (Desert cart online store),Balsa timber (locally purchased with great difficulty).Cry

Made a plan on paper for the project – lure design, belly weight location (which did not worked so trail and error method), bib angle and based on the same cut out template from empty bottle of milk. Transfer the same on balsa and cut out the rough shape.

I can use this project as guideline for working with balsa for future. With the remaining balsa timber in hand I can go ahead with another 10-15 lures with the same dimension.

Look forward for views and suggestions / advice.

Regards,Raghubir

Test video link:https://youtu.be/1DuILB3OXow

Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 9:58am
Great effort so far! You have all the tools needed! It's good to record what you're doing. When I first started, I just made a lure and tried it in the water. But if I had a good swimmer, I then had to reverse engineer it and try to replicate the design! Keep at it and you will certainly have success! No criticism, but if I were you, I'd get some 1mm poly for the smaller lure bibs and 1.5mm for the larger ones. Cheers and keep up the good work...
Fysshe
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:03pm
nice start to your lure making ,look forward to finish product
it a lot better world if you just smile
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 7:37pm
Waiting to see the end product, looking good so farClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 6:45am
i like your blueprints Raghubir very well drawn and your lures are coming along nicely.definately a good idea to put your plans on paper first as Fysshe said,wish i'd done that with some of mine too!Cry.Keep putting up pictures as you go along mate Thumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
sudanraghu2210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:13am
Hi

Chris, you have become expert by now in lure making and you don't need to have a plan. Nice to hear from you after a long time.

Everything went on as per the plan with the expected lure action, the only thing where i failed was placing 2 weight   (one front and one back of belly eye). Instead only front weight gave the expected result while the lure is prefectly balance with the hooks and sit upright on the water surface. (infact i was trying to be as pefect as Paul Adam who always acheive the plan results.

Ya sure will keep on posting subsequent pics as i move further on the process.

Regards, Raghubir 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:26am
Good morning Martin

Yes sure, i am planning to finish them before i travel to new castle by end of june.

It is indeed a great experience of working with balsa timber. Initially i thought that it is very soft (expensive too Wink ) and may break while cutting and carving, but that was not the case as i move on.

Sorry for my delay in replying as i was very busy and frustated while drilling one single belly hole for the weight with dremel Cry it took lot of time drilling.( used dremel tool first time ).

Have a great Day !!

Regards, Raghubir

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:36am
Hi

Ian Good morning !!

Sincere appology for delay in reply. 

You are correct while keeping the plan you can replicate the design if your pilot design acheive the desired results. Initally i thought of 1 mm poly but later changed to 1.5 mm thinking that 1mm will be too thin and might break. Now everytime i am repending my decision while cutting the bib slotCry its a pain. ( learning by mistakeSmile )

Thanks for your views.

Regards, Raghubir

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:42am
Hi 

Allan Good morning !!

Sincere appology for delay in replying, yes i was having nothing when i started making lure . Now i have almost all the needed tools for making lures at ease.

Ya planning to finsh before i travel to new castle.

Thanks for be there for the encouragement.

Have a wounderful Day.Smile

Regards, Raghubir
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 6:39pm
Wow Raghubir, You got the goods now mateThumbs Up Love the plans you made, 
I draw them on paper first and sometimes I don't do what you have done bloody fantasticThumbs Up

Keep up with the great work and look forward to seeing them painted.

Cheers,
Mad Dog Dave
Life is fishing!
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:22pm
just a thought  with your plans that after you have finalised the finished drawings you might want to do what i have done and cut an exact replica of the final shape of side and top of lure, out of thin polycarb sheet of lexon.this enables you to have a copy that will not get damaged .this will give you the easy way to copy your next set of lures .
it a lot better world if you just smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 5:16am
Hi

Allan !! thanks for the suggestion.

I did made design cut out of top and side for transferring graph book to timber with empty plastic milk bottle (transparent bottles which i discard every day). Could you suggest a way for replicating  the thickness front, center and back.

Thanks, Regards Raghubir

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 5:27am
Hi

Dave !! Good morning.

Thanks for the motivation which keeps driving my hobby.Smile

Once you attain expertise in design back by number of years of experience & success, you do not need a detailed plan. I feel its good for the beginner like me to have all steps on paper before execution. 

Hope you are doing great in Expo, wishing you all the best.

I saw your finished lures in other section and was not able to reply back since i am restricted. They are too good,Thumbs Up i like the finish - fantastic skills as if it is done with machine.

With regards, Raghubir  

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by sudanraghu2210 sudanraghu2210 wrote:

Hi

Dave !! Good morning.

Thanks for the motivation which keeps driving my hobby.Smile

Once you attain expertise in design back by number of years of experience & success, you do not need a detailed plan. I feel its good for the beginner like me to have all steps on paper before execution. 

Hope you are doing great in Expo, wishing you all the best.

I saw your finished lures in other section and was not able to reply back since i am restricted. They are too good,Thumbs Up i like the finish - fantastic skills as if it is done with machine.

With regards, Raghubir  

Thanks Raghubir and keep up with the great work mateClap

Cheers,
Dave

Life is fishing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic