LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > D.I.Y Moulded Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Moulds - Need Help Please.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Moulds - Need Help Please.
    Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 9:12pm
Hey guys,

I need help guys. Its my first attempt. Where would you pour from? where would you place vents?

Much appreciated everybody.

Ces.

Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 9:14pm
only the visible outline template is part of the profile. the black triangle is not part of the lure.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 7:41am
For a single split silicone round cone mould
Usually I pour from the lowest point and place a vent at the highest point. I use disposable straws to provide head pressure and a reservoir of material if a few bubbles pop up the vent straw I fill the straws with modeling plasticine and place a straightened paper clip wire for the vent and secure it to the model 
make a j bend with modeling plasticine around the paper clip wire pinch the end a little where it attaches to the model ( a snap off area) and attach it to the plasticine filled straw. Super glue 2 to 4 paddle pop sticks to the 2  straws either side. Your model will be hanging from the sticks on the rim of the cup. And held down by rubber bans I use thick round tapered plastic cups for my mould containers. Put 10 to 20mm of modeling plasticine in the bottom of the cup as silicone shrinks when cured and drops lower into the tapered cup drill a finger sized hole in the bottom after curing dont cut the bottom off as it holds the cup round larger tapers work best you need 10mm silicone above and below your model
use a scalpel or razor cut the silicone through the injection tube to the belly of your lure
You can access your eyelets so they can be overmolded and remove moulded component. 

The black triangle confused me a little, place the vent at the highest part of your model. Give the injection tube 3mm or more clearance from the eyelet. Use talcum powder rather than oily or waxy  release agents. And dust the silicone if you are using resins. It will double the moulds life and it is easier to remove parts. Modeling plasticine is far stiffer than the kids stuff or use warm wax if you can handle the heat or Polymorph is the best from Jaycar of all places,, love this stuff I is good for prototype bibs just pour some hot water on it and shape a new bib. Put a good vertical scratch on the inside of the cup where you think the top of the silicone will be. To help align mould to the cup, the cup may not be perfectly round. The straws will stick up more than 50mm above the silicone, higher the straw the more pressure in your mould. Drill holes in your model 3mm deep just a tad smaller than the paper clip wire
I know you only asked where to vent it Wink So I ventedCensored

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic