LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Blast from the past
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fishing old school

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fishing old school
    Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 6:25pm
i learnt to fish with handlines, same as a lot of others, but it's gone by the wayside.some times when i've got a fair idea i'm going to be into the fish, i'll leave the rods at home and take only the handlines.it's said that handlining is more of a feel thing, but you've also got to keep your eyes open and watch for that slight change in line tention and movement.i could ramble on but i had a few reels made by a very good lathe worker a couple of years back, they were top reels so i had a few more made last week. they are made from silky oak, first lot of reels were made from a silky oak i cut down about six years ago. ken does the rounds of the markets and had a couple of extra reels, but they took too long to sell so he didn't make anymore untill mine last week. if anyone is interested pm me. one size i've got will take 500 mts of 40lb, loaded one up today with 55lb schnieder for my swains trip, took about 400mts.will post up some photos if any interest.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 6:30pm
The pro coral trout guys are always after wooden hand reels - they covet mine when I have a livey by the pylons on the Cooktown wharf.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 12:35pm
Handline fishing will beat rod and reel anytime just look at any pro snapper boat in S.A. You won't see rods there and if you do its because some know it all deckie has got it on board and then when the snapper really turn it on no doubt the skipper will be screaming put that useless Blah blah blah away and grab a handline . By the way I used to use 80lb string and after a few 13kilo fish my hands would be cut from the line and bleeding well and stinging from the salt....How I miss those days/nights,still got memorable line cuts in little fingers from trophy sized snapper,personal best 37lb from the Santa Anna wreck, middlebank Spencer Gulf middle of day......
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 3:03pm
Mick excuse my ignorance but would you put braid or mono on a hand line. Just for general use like laying one over the back of the tinny for a flathead.

I had a comment some years ago from a bloke in Cardwell, as I came off the Jetty, carring all my fancy rods and reels. Mate he said, "I can catch anything you can catch out there with a handline"

Food for thought hey.

Gordon
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 3:13pm
Still got a good collection of handlines, some timber and always have one in the tinny(80lb) just in case, would love to see the pictures of your new ones Mick. Used to always use them for bottom fishing but when fishing 60 metres they tend to get you down after a while.
Gordon you would be putting mono on the handlines mate, braid especially thin braid will cut you to the bone unless you have some pretty fancy gloves,
Cheers Steve R.
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 3:19pm
mono gordon, if you tried handlines with braid you would end up a few fingers short. even with finger stalls it would cut through. years ago the old man got some mono called mimi-cry. really thin for it's breaking strain but found out the hard way not to use it on hand reels, ok for rods.......mick
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 3:23pm
all over-cast here now steve. i'll take some photos when the light is better........mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 7:54pm
Best way for a barra off a jetty or snags is a live bait on a handline.

I was fishing off the Southport sand pumping jetty a few years ago. A northener came along with a handline, got a live yakka and lowered it next to a pylon. A couple of young guns with all the fancy gear walked up to him and asked him what he was after. He said a jewie - they laughed at him and he said "this is how we catch barra up north". They laughed at him again and said "no barra around here".
Half an hour later this bloke hauls up a 25 kg jewie and these young guns jaws dropped. They hadn't caught anything in 6 hours of fishing - good to see.........you don't have to be pretty to fishWink
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 9:07pm
Grew up fishing of the local jetty using a handline....usually a coke bottle with mono around it...or an old cork handline...about the size of a dunny roll centre.
still got them in the shed.
used to get chopper tailor, best bait for tailor is tailor.
2 years handlining on swains reefs for trout sweetlip reds etc....50lb mono in shallows...80lb for deep stuff....cant beat that feeling of ac15kg red giving you a run....hooked 100s of big sharks...tigers hammers bronzies.....up to 12 foot or more.....no hope stopping them....scary but fun.
mackeral go like shit and its an art to stop line wrapping around hands feet as it peels out like lightning.....cuts to bone...especially after a week or so at sea, hands go soft from being wet and cut easy.....actually had thick callouses on index fingers from the line....
the best days were as a kid...run home from school...grab a bucket and handline and run to the jetty....then the run home to make it back before dark...to save a kick up the arse for being late...I got a few kicks too as the best bite is allways at sundown   
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 9:36pm
I still use handlines - but mostly for the blue swimmers in Brissy Waters (no traps allowed)
Occasionally still drop a livey out on one for jew - but have never actually pulled a jew on a handline... Plenty of big girl flatties, big pike, and the odd little shark have come in hand over hand though.
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 10:16pm
My first hand line, I can still see it. It was green cord wrapped around a piece of cork, I recon 12cm by 8cm and 1cm thick. We soon wrapped it onto a bottle or jam tin. No fancy knots needed back then.

Brisbane river near the Uni, Bream and Catfish. I still hate Catfish today. They catch the dam things all over the world by the look of it.

I have modified my fishing to avoid catfish. Rarely catch them on lures.

Gordon
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 5:18am
we used to fish behind the tennerson power house on the brisbane river. my old mans old nylon cord line, brake cable off a pushbike for a wire trace and two 10/0 hooks in a catfish that we cut down the back and turn inside-out. walk out onto the wall where the warm water came out of the turbins and back into the river. the concrete wall was only about a foot wide, but two or three of us would hang on for dear life when we hooked the big bull and whaler sharks that hung around there. some were six to eight feet long, and some we had no chance with. all good fun, look back and think , if we fell in , you would end up as shark-shit, no way of getting out , the walls were ten feet high.....mick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:34am
I hate catfish
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 8:28am
A good way to stun them Nicho is with a short length of garden hose. You know when it has become old and stiff.

Gordon
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by GBG GBG wrote:

A good way to stun them Nicho is with a short length of garden hose. You know when it has become old and stiff.

Gordon

ClapClapLOLLOLLOLClapClap  You will get Nicho liking hoses very soon Gordon ClapClapLOLLOLLOLClapClap
Martin-

lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:34pm
If u drop c and h out of catch fish u get catfish
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 1:38pm
here are a couple of the reels ken made for me. all ready to go to the swains next week, one rigged with eighty , the other with fifty-five....mick
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 3:23pm
Very nice Mick !!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 6:10pm
i give them a soak and rub with lanox, found to be better than lindseed oil. lanox has lanoline which is good for timber preserving.....mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 7:23pm
LANOLIN - keep the sheep lover away from them..............Gary-down boyLOL
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 7:44pm
old mate jim, good friend of mine had his kitchen done from an old shearing shed that was abandoned out the other side of dirranbandi. all the floorboards and beams and posts, cleaned up it looked good....mick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic