LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishing Report Eucumbene this Weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:17am
John how much does that Snowy Minnow weight. Asking as i have a lot off different Cilicone moulding masters of  Danish metal Coast Lures, made fore very long cast and most of them working the top part of the Water. Will take some fotos and place them under Danish Lures
Cheers Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 8:26am
Tempted to jump in the car and head down now john! Some lovely fish there mate....how are you consuming them? And are they washed down well with something to clear the pallet?
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:10am
Never caught a trout...but that looks like a nice one. Well done John!
cheers steiny
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:08am
nice chunky fish mate well done
that's no how ye make porridge!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 5:36pm
Cool John thanksThumbs Up. The lead slug (not an alloy) they use at Kanchoban is just like a tailor spinner with a feather bound on the back. Apparently you get one with a small but full uncut feather as the trout don't like the sharp edge of a cut feather. This slug is cast into the fast running water below the outlet at the dam wall.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 6:25pm
Trout must be wierd...they hit a metal lure but dont hit one with rough feathers,.thats what makes fishing so interesting.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:58pm
Yeah that has me stumped as well. The office at Kanchoban caravan / camping park sells them and the lady was apologetic that she only had cut ones left.
Martin-

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 8:36pm
When I was in Tassie, my fishing buddy caught 6 fish for the day, I caught none--one 'cracker' came right up to the boat and looked at me, turned around and swam away ---I think dress and appearance has a lot to do with it--
John is still wearing his LOUD 'Queensland Tropicana' shirts up there-- trout don't like that.
I have always been able to work out what they don't like, but still trying to work out what they DO like .
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:50am
(Pete)
You might be right there Pete but  under all the other layers of clothing they would need  x ray vision.

Acquired my first velcrow pair of gloves tight and only finger and thumb tips exposed, is there a method available to make them a little more supple, like warming them or boiling in water,marinating them in orange or lemon juice.

Martin do have a one of those lures interested to see it.Sounds like you could make your own.

Jas saved  around five in the mid 40's range a local is going to add to his when he does his next lot of smoked trout they are then vacuum packet in the right gear . He has a very elaborate smoker
spent a small fortune on its erection and all the necessary bells and whistles.

Temperature gauges inside and out cooking bricks, special chimney . steel plates , hanging rods, and there is probably other items I have missed. It is like a small garden shed above head height all brick,can cook/smoke meat in  it as well.

p,j I will send through some precise measurements and weights later in the day.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 3:39pm
p.j according to my postal scales 8 gr  47mm long
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:23pm
Here is the only one I could find, seems like they had 2 feathers and one was not cut. Some how the feathers are stuck in that round "nob". I can't see how the feathers would have survived molten lead contacting the quill. (sorry about the photo but my camera is a tempermental cow).
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:24pm
Photo taken from the side of the missing feather
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Here is the only one I could find, seems like they had 2 feathers and one was not cut. Some how the feathers are stuck in that round "nob". I can't see how the feathers would have survived molten lead contacting the quill. (sorry about the photo but my camera is a tempermental cow).</span>
they look like mallard feathers Martin,is it a single hook setup or does it have trebles?
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:01pm
Thanks Martin

If over that way will try and pick one up

Have not seen them being used over here.

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:10pm
Nailed my best condition trout this evening.

55.6cm long 15 cm deep, 2.6kgs a real chubby fish

Female and not carrying any eggs for this season. one medium size yabby in the stomach, actually swallowed the minnow with hook caught right down on one of the gills.
Unfortunately bleed .
Not a happy chappy jumped all over the place and took a number of runs.

Had the place to myself as well.

Tried the fly but a bit too much moonlight. 

No activity on the surface which was a little unusual.

Regards John
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:19pm
Sounds like you have the place worked out John, keep up the good work.

Big-Pete
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:35am
Sounds like a nice fish john....is that from that little stream near the bridge?
is it still to cold for thongs?

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:56am
Getting better Big Pete

No Jas  in Lake Eucumbene itself

The river fishing closes early June ( public holiday weekend) but the Lake remains open all year.

A tad cold for thongs this morning -6C  (((  Just check the weather station screen again says feels like - 8.2  C.

I have decided to pull the pin on a trip this morning and try again this arvo/evening

Spoke to a chap  yesterday that has been up here close on three weeks with some mates (sharing the expenses)  paid out $2200-00 for accommodation for 4 Fish, mainly spinning and fly fishing.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 7:31am
15cm deep , excellent condition  length 55.6cm

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:32am
WOW that is a stunner John. "WHAT ARE YOU FEEDING THEM MATE, BEING THAT FAT" LOL Got to Wonder if it Gerts so Cold, the lake freezes so you can go ice fishing ore is this the coldest weather you get.
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:32am
Very nice trout, John.  Do you smoke them?

When I lived at Dunedoo, I caught heaps of trout at Coolah and used to cold smoke most of them.  Used River She Oak sawdust.  Highly recommended.

Beer

Travers
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:20am
Travers have 5 trout awaiting smoking.

I have been told the Rainbow seem to be better smoked than the Browns.

p,j When the snow arrives I think around -12C should pull us up.

No lake freezing here mate, not like your area.

Now that I have my own weather station, it takes a recording every 5 minutes so will have accurate record this winter what our coldest temperature was recorded here.

We also receive very strong winds here, being elevated, and that was the reason for the weather station.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

Sounds like a nice fish john....is that from that little stream near the bridge?
is it still to cold for thongs?

It's a sliding lure Chris, so whether you use a single or a treble is up to you. A barrel sinker with feathers bound on would be cheaper and easier to make. These are thrown around the river under the dam wall when water is being let out. With how fast the flow is, and the speed of the retrieve needed, I don't think there is any action involved apart from the feather - which probably something to do with the better success rate with uncut feathers, maybe gives a bit of a better movement of the feathers?
Martin-

Hutto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:51pm
John,
I hot smoke not cold smoke but my preference is Browns over rainbows. The browns have more crustaceans in their diet hence a golden orange flesh and in my opinion are more tasty whereas the rainbows feed more on water daphnia and insects, their flesh is a paler colour and flavour more subtle, but we all have different tastes   

A few of my mates have been up to Old Adaminaby lately. They had good success trolling tassies at 8 metres.

Another mate was at Tantangra last weekend and said it was too cold to sit around the fire at night. He awoke to find icicles forming inside his swag and the morning temp was -10. Too cold for me

I fished Narooma instead, far more comfortable temperatures
Hutto
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:28pm
Yeah John, lovely brown, you are certainly paying for it with the cold--hang in there.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:42pm
Lost a nice one this evening on the fly, came home for some tea and just heading back, before this rain band hits, later in the week.

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 8:30pm
Resumed fishing Lake Eucumbene Wednesday lost a small one tossed the hook.

Rugged up like a poplar bear this arvo, cold, light wind , misty rain, snow falling on the higher peaks,
nailed a very nice Brown , full of yabbies in excellent condition and colour possibly a non breeder this year.  56cm long and just on 2 kg's

Cannot wait for tomorrow to do battle again , a small challenge to get thae Magna in and out of the Lake a little slippery.

Regards John
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 8:50pm
Well done John, not a bad start after some time away.

Would love to catch up for a fish with you one day soon. If you fish as thoroughly and professionally as you run a lure auction then I'll be even more impressed.   

Cheers,

Danny.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 5:22am
Photo to come.

Water levels dropping out of Lake Eucumbene quite fast at the moment bearing in mine how large an area it covers.

Danny at the moment you will need to be well rugged up, and with gloves, other wise you will lose feeling in your hands and fingers,
An up market raincoat, and  a flask with what ever preparation suits your fancy. (strong or warm)LOL
We are experiencing a little of the  Tassie weather at the moment 4 seasons  in one day.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 10:53am
In good nick 56 cm 2 kg.  Full of yabbies

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 4:36pm
very nice brown john pan fried or smokerBig smileBig smileregards bob
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 5:12pm
Smoke that sucker Thumbs Up
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 8:28pm
Tough day at the office today NWest winds between 30-45 klms gusts.  Fished into and side of wind.
Rain passed through this morning , rain coat not required.

Four cars came down and fished during the arvo on the sheltered side with zero results.

Fished  for 4 and half hours only one fish and only one enquiry.

59cm 2.6kgs excellent condition , full of fresh yabbies.

Possibility of snow tomorrow.
Regards John

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 10:54pm
That is a good looking Fish John. Thought about your clima right now is about same when I fish at winther time. I see you are using ordinary PVC waders. Here i am using neophrene Waders at Winther time. Thy are very warm especially wading in the Water.  Can you get them your place, cud that make it a bitmore comfy Smile
Knaek & Break
        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 11:23pm
Hi p.j. I had the neophrene gloves on whilst casting just too cold otherwise, took them off to handle the fish
Yes they are available
Never tried the neophrene waders have a pair of ski overall, over the jeans for added warmth and two pairs of socks on, warm as toast just the face gets cold and red, when the strong winds blow, ordered a cover to help shield the face.

Regards John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
  Share Topic