LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Favourite Lure by species
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FLATHEAD lures whats your FAV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 8:01am
By far the most productive hard bodied lure I use and have used over many years is the Manns stretch 10 in fluro bloody pink.
In soft plastics the Cocahoe Minnow (4") , Berkley Power Baits (Power Shad) and the Squidgies Flick Baits.

Regards,

Marc - STDZ Lures - Catch fish,fish a STDZ instead.
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 11:34am
Marc, All great lures, for sure. Can't wait to try some of BOBs on Channel Flatties!
My point previously, was Spoons have been in use, on flatties in the channel since the late 1800s. They have, only recently,(last 20 years) been displaced from favour, allowing all other forms of lure and fly a crack at the title. So for well over a century, the tally has been building, and with stocks dwindling, the chance to knock spoons off their pedestal, is becoming unrealistic!
Luv em or not, spoons rule the Archives! Let me welcome you, I'm new too! If ya crazy, you'll fit in!
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:04pm
Biggest lizard I ever seen was a dinosaur measuring in at 1.4m 350mm across the head,,as it was pulled into the boat the motor was started boat brought to the shallows old mate climbs out of boat to swim the fish,,fish was caught near the RIP BRIDGE near WOY WOY late 80`s,,the old bag swam away to keep laying eggs,,the same bloke who caught that one has a very old photo of a flaty in a bath that went 6 foot 2 inch,,I have seen the photo it was old & dodgy but the lizard had head out one end of bath tub & tail out the other end & jet black,,when I was about 8(36 tears ago) there was a massive flathead on the wall of a south coast fish & chip shop that was 5 foot plus,,Gary
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 2:39pm
ANYONE ELSE with a story of the monster lizardBig smileREGARDS BOB
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 3:53pm

Really any of the Squidgy range up to 100mm, but my favourite is the wrogglers in black/gold.

Also love using a blade that a friend made - Chilli Blades Thumbs Up
Pete would know what i'm talking about.

Cheers

James
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 4:53pm
WROGGLERS nevr heard of these any pics???????regards bob
mullowaymatty View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullowaymatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 10:30am
squidgy 80mm black n gold
Bassman88 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bassman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 11:21am
I'm a powerbait minnow man myself as well.
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

WROGGLERS nevr heard of these any pics???????regards bob
Only just noticed this post after getting a bump.

HAHAHA Bob i meant Wrigglers LOLLOL
Sorry for the typing Wink
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
Andy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 1:19pm
manns 5 plus in flouro pink. Awesome.
Baroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 3:05pm
Manns stretch 10 in flouro pink, awesome x2.
Regards,

Marc - STDZ Lures - Catch fish,fish a STDZ instead.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 3:39pm
BOBS grave diggerWinkLOLLOLLOLLOLregards bob
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 6:24pm
yep Manns stretch 5+ by far, rapala glass shad #4

regards George
frehley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frehley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 9:04pm
manns 5+ in grey ghost or the pink.and the starlo and bushys soft plastic shad in 65mm!!!
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 6:39am
Well what good timing this thread is , I have just finished a 3 to 4 kg spin rod that I want to try on flathead , now up here --- nobody--- fishes for them , and when the tourists from down south come here they only want Barra or Jacks . I have seen plenty around so I am going to target them , I am not sure how big they get to up here but I will find out , I hope I get some before the rains come .
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 7:44am
Good luck Red
If not much people are targeting them up there, hopefully you get into some big ones Wink
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 7:45am
It's funny I've heard the Flatties on the Gold go ape over the Mann's stretch +5 and +10, the super shallow water I fish down here when I do actually target them which is pretty rare these days I use the humble Berkley Frenzy FS-6 for only $3.50 at Big W no Flatty is safe in less than 1m of water. A mod or 2 to get it suspending or sinking and you'll take them deeper. Estuary Perch favour them too also seen or had Bass, Trevs, Whiting and Bream nail them too there aint too many diving lures a whiting will nail. My most productive Flattie lure would have to be a Berkley 2" Powerbait pink grub you can't get them anymore but they still make the 3" which ain't bad either.
Small Scale Lure Creations; Lure making on hold ATM.
aprie View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aprie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 2:42pm
Squidgy Fish 70-100mm in Silver Fox with bigger jigheads (like Mr Twister) work well.

On the flats - Sammy 65s or bigger Topwater lures

PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 6:40pm
Any 2 metre diving lure fished in 1.5m of water will do the trick LOL. My fav trolling lure for flatties is a pink and black Tilsan Bass. If I'm fishing fly a Rattle Rouser. Cheers Pat.
Fool to the bream
Montah Steel View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member
Hobbled Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montah Steel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 7:12pm
so many plastic users on a lure making forum. im disgusted............. lol

whatever works i suppose.

was hoping to see a wall of responses from some of the brilliant hand made lures we see on the forums.
muckawa View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muckawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Red Hunter Red Hunter wrote:

Well what good timing this thread is , I have just finished a 3 to 4 kg spin rod that I want to try on flathead , now up here --- nobody--- fishes for them , and when the tourists from down south come here they only want Barra or Jacks . I have seen plenty around so I am going to target them , I am not sure how big they get to up here but I will find out , I hope I get some before the rains come .
any photos yetEmbarrassed
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 1:12pm
Must add my rabbit fur "Jumping Jacks" into this thread which are loosley based on other type lures that rely on a coffin shape blade that pivots off the head.........Marz lures come readily to mind as do Taylor made lures from Pt Macquarie.......Rob Taylor has a few models that just slay flathead and my best tally was 43 legal flathead trolling at forster a number of years ago in 21/2 hrs......The biggest a monster female which I was too slow to grab boatside bare handed and watch it bite through the leader and swim off.......Of course I must mention the old Killalea 5cm snarls in red......By far the best hardbody lure on flatties I ever owned......I want another one if someone has some for swaps?????......regards B.J.
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 5:12pm
Chatterbait style BJ ? Tried a CB early in the season for bass and even though I didn't catch a fish can really see how those things make a lot of vibration. Cheers Pat. 
Fool to the bream
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:42am
Anyone here have a picture of that lure made to target flathead, I think for the Swansea Channel, it's a hardbody with an unusual shape. Reason I ask, I saw an unclear pic of one somewhere here and think I may have one in my 'unknown' box.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 10:38am
Hey Ian, flatties up north. I have seen a few but not very big. A mate of mine that used to live in Townsville said that his  biggest as around 2 kilos and he hadn't seen a bigger one up that way.  He was blown away by the size of flatties I put him  onto around Brisbane way.
Grants guide to fishes, as far as I could see, states that the biggest in northern waters max out around 2 kg which is why us southerners don't really chase them up that way.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 10:59am
Ian, my biggest up here is 75cm about 2kg, bit I have been stalking a bigger one that I've spotted a few times free swimming that would've been 85-90cm!! Shocked At first I thought it was a Shovelly but when he turned to follow a softy, I could see what he really was!!!
Fysshe
morro31 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morro31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 2:01pm
manns 5-10 in pink next best I like is green then gold
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 7:10pm
do they still make the Manns stretches?
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 9:11pm
Yes I just purchased some from Manns in the USA on the internet. Google Manns Baits Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 11:16pm
Captain, would that lure be a Swansea Flathead Lure???
My favourite, smoking hot, flatty lures.................BOBs.

DARK LORD
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:32pm
cant argue with that MalThumbs Up
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by bilge bilge wrote:

Yes I just purchased some from Manns in the USA on the internet. Google Manns Baits Billj
cheers BillThumbs Up
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

cant argue with that MalThumbs Up

May get some on yours too, Chris.
DARK LORD
HOPPY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 2:03pm
Nice catch Alistair, Love your comment "shouldn't matter what side of the river your on" Big mummers produce a lot of little flatty's, And that can only be done if every body sticks to the catch and release program. Well done Regards Hoppy.
HOPPY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 2:08pm
All I'm saying about that comment is title reads ( LURE LOVERS)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic