LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Messing around in Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

floor in my tinny

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: floor in my tinny
    Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 10:22am
i know this has been asked/done before but any help/tips are more than welcome. i'm ripping up the old floor in my boat( was nema board, buckled warped and shrunk, absolute crap). now going to use 15mm cd a-bond ply sealed with everdure. have cut a piece of cardboard for a template for ribs and shaping of the side. how much do you reckon to allow for painting/ sealing, (couple of mm on each cut?) will be painting it with decking paint with anti-slip sand mixed in and it will have loose fitted carpet on top. useing 20mm stainless cup-head selftappers with 20mm washers to fix. bearers are 350mm apart, with another bearer running length-ways 1200mm from the starboard side for the eadge of the sheet to have support. area of the floor is approx 1.8mt x 1.5mt. all good ideas will be paid for with beer at my place and you must drink powers gold ......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Flashshad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flashshad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 1:02pm
I have done 4 floors with ply and everdue I only all about 1 to 1.5mm around the edges. On my last floor in a 3.66m Bluefin Rascal I glued the carpet down but didn't wrap it around the edges of the ply.
Dave
One on fake is better than ten on bait!!
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:10am
i'm happy with this.don't need to paint it, 5 wet coats of everdure. 100% better than before.used 12mm marine ply. got it for the price of 12mm non-structual ply. no wonder masters are going down the shute.....mick .....mick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:19am
Looks good mick....are you glueing carpet?
loose carpet is annoying flaps around bunches up etc.
painted deck with sand etc, not too bad if painted white or light grey....but really can get very hot underfoot in mid summer sun in a open tinny.
nobody drinks powers beer.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:31am
just loose carpet jas, it can be taken out to completely dry. i'll see how it goes for movement or sliping, if it does i'll grip sand paint it. AND ONLY REAL MEN DRINK POWERS.....MICK
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 10:39am
the marine carpet doesnt stay wet its porous and drys completely just as fast as the bare floor would...old blokes like you should glue it down, trip hazards are a high risk at your age...especially after a few unpowered powers.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:10am
When you guys are ready to evolve Wink                                        LOLLOLLOL

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:54pm
rum turns the meek and mild into ferals!!!!......mick
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:32pm
I've never gone feral on rumLOL..then again I not really mild and meek.

Mick get some of those HD snap clips put in at canvas maker, then you can remove the carpet and it wont slide (not that I have had that happen) on the ply.
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

That's because they are noyt ready to evolveLOL
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:08am
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

you blokes are talking about me aren't you?,shut up Nicho!
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:32am
LOLLOLLOL
Martin-

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 7:10pm
Neat job Mick, I'm about due for a new floor, the old one is all over the place, crap Chinese ply that Quintrex uses behaves like old beer cartons in the rain.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

you blokes are talking about me aren't you?,shut up Nicho!

now that you mention it LOL

Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 8:13pm
I did my floor some time ago and I used spray adhesive to glue it down, do it out side. Spray both the carpet and the wood and stick it down straight away, this way when you want to remove it you can and simply re-spray and re-lay.
Spray adhesive wont stick it down as strongly as quick grip, but that is a good thing.

Big-Pete
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 1:42pm
i know what your saying jas, but when i throw the castnet (prawning) , mud and fine weed gets into the carpet. it may dry but it stinks.leave the boat in the shed for a couple of days wahooooo. when i get home , hang the carpet over the fence and hose it off, good as gold. thats why i don't want to glue it down. pete, the ply i got from masters was aussie made stamped mahogany. it's the first time i've used everdure, but i followed directions from a bloke that had used it for years and years and it seems to me to be good stuff. time will tell.....mick
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 4:51pm
Mick, you won't go past everdure, its the only thing I will use unless I thin down epoxy resin. If you did at least the 33% thin and 50% thin coats and got the edges as well, it will last longer than you or I will.

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 6:45pm
was told not to thin it brad, it can be, but it's as thin as water. five wet coats both sides, edges. soaked it up like a sponge. don't get me wrong, you have obviously used it, just was told the thinners also breaks down the power of it. see how it goes.....mick
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 7:08pm
Mick, Sold it to boaties for years and used it myself for nearly 30 on boats and outdoor wood furniture. Depending on the timber, thinning isn't really needed, but if you look at the directions, 1st thru 3rd coats are thinned at various ratios, and the final coat is neat. After that you can put just about anything over it.
If it soaked in well you will do alright with it. Some plys have a really solid glue line and won't allow full penetration.

Brad

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 9:00am
yep especially marine and form plys (same glue in both)
that's no how ye make porridge!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic