LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fly Fishing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FLYS 4 JEWIEs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLYS 4 JEWIEs
    Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 6:21am
WHAT large flys should i tie for larger fish in the hunterriver & newie harbour or should i make them poppers  insteed oflarge clouser style ////bait+==slmies yakker mullet & herrrin  thankyou  bobBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 6:43am
Bob mulloway in are partial to garfish in the estuarine situation here. Small garfish at that. We have been recently using shallow running minnows, Daiwa double clutch,successfully in an attemp to imitate garfish. Fish to 1.om. The mulloway actually slurp the Gar like a Barra boof. I have a fly, tied locacally to imitate garfish, which I should use but will take photos and post it, on LL later today. A garfish fly might be worth a try.
billj
The older I get the more I learn.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 7:24am
Large clousers in pilly colours would be the go Bob
something around the 3 to 4 inch mark...WinkWinkWink.
I made up some Jewie flies a few years back they had
white polar fibre for the body and white holographic
shenile for the body they looked like a bottle squid and
pulsed as you stripped them through the water...SmileSmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 7:27am
Bob photos of lures and fly. Although you didnt mention garfish I suspect they might be present and worth a try.

Top lure 8cm xrap floater,  2nd lure Double Cutch 7.5cm body.(small lure but very effective on 1.0m fish)

Hope that helps Billj
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 8:23am

THANKS BOYS thats a start the fish in the harbour are allways full of mullet & yakas so i think a bit of black& yellow might do alsoBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 9:01am
Bilge don't forget solid black flies very large clousers or similar have also been documented in South Aussie press for accounting for port river mulloway! A big black fly popper would probaly work universally! regards B.J.Wink
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 9:45am
Great thread and I've been thinking about this for awhile and reckon you guys are onto a winner here. Bottle squid or squid flies should be considered but will probably attract kingfish around here in Sydney. But I like the garfish theory and if the fish are full of mullet and yakka . . . match the hatch.

Personally I'd be using a sink tip or intermediate line to get these flies down and would stay away from poppers. If the fish are 'gulping' use lightly weighted or neutral bouyancy flies. Black back, olive tones over silver/white up to 4-5 inches . . . I'd also consider tying doubles with a reverse stinger hook as an experiment. Sounds like fun on a 10-12wt with a nice fly reel with heaps of backing. 30lb shock leader.

Gonna try it myself and yes black flies are good as are white flies!!

MXB
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 10:00am
Brian, your right on there, Ihave used black rubbers for jew at Murray Mouth, and black surface lures what a silhoutte.
 billj
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 10:03am
I will post some squid flies later on my way out to lunch. Mxb you jolted my memory I had forgotten I had them
billj
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 10:09am
the  stinger sounds  the go  would ya use mono or wire on it and tie it in first/////  AS iam seeing small hammers & bronzies on the surface with all the flood waters at the mouth of the hourbor???????BOBBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:41am
I'd use a heavy mono for the stinger Bob and tie it to the hook before tying the fly,maybe youd snell the
stinger so it would'nt foul as much in the tail fibres,i recon a big clouser as Pete suggested but tie it as a whiting rather than a gar and maybe put silicone around the head so that it pushes water and vibrates a bit. ive never thought of flyfishing for jewies before,they get em on soft plastics so why not a fly?.good stuff BobThumbs Up
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 6:08pm
YEAH sounds good chris a mate got one 26kg last may havent heard anything but jew on fly since so cant beat em join em BOB the fluff chucker ........LOLLOLLOLLOL
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 8:33am
Puglee has it but I also would consider tying the stinger hook as well with something light (feather and mylar) or the wire/mono extension. Then add as an extension of the main hook body. Here's a few that I tied a few years back - tandems or doubles with reversed stinger hook;

These ones use an extension of plated game wire that is doubled and looped through the eye. One has a bead attached and sometimes I will also coat with a plastic sleeve to keep it straight. Hard shell monos work fine too like Mason and Platyl

MXB

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 9:36am
Hi Mxb, That's the sort of thing I was on about...ClapClapClap
they've got jewie written all over them...SmileSmileSmile..Pete.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 9:44am
YEAH thats the pig plenty of body is that marabou at the front of the fly????ClapClapClap
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 9:57am
MXB
Is the eye attached with a super glue or do you use some other sort of method.
Does the eye last the distance or do you need to take a couple of spares to replace it if lost.
They really look great are  they Mustard Stainless  8/0 or 9/0 back hook and 5/0 to 6/0 at the front, not sure if the front hook is stainless from the picture back hook does look like stainless.

Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 10:03am
Big smileTHE front hook looks to be a bit bigger than the stinger JOHN ????
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 10:11am
bassnbob
I thought it was the other way MXB will have to clarify. Maybe it is the angle of the photograph.
Optical illusion?????

Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 10:45am
MIGHT BE a different pattern maybeBig smile
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 12:29pm

Good pick up .

I think you are right

Regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 7:50pm
nice bit of tying MXB,they look like they'd have a nice pulse when worked with all that fluffy dressing .I dont
think it'd matter how you glued the eyes on John you always end up losing them anyway either to rocks or fish.
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 10:48am
OK . . .I'll answer the questions in order;

The front material is rabbit zonker strips, arctic fox and some marabou

The eyes are held on with epoxy (5min) and as others mentioned are the first things to go so its irrelavant except that its amazing how long they can stay on for!! Sometimes just make a mark with a black permanent marker for an eye.

The hooks are different as some spotted. In fact the front hook has an extra short shank and large gape. Two of the flies use an old Tiemco hook from memory in about 5/0 size with gape of a 6-7/0. Rear stingers are stainless and normally use a Maruto hook or a Mustad 34007 in about 3/0-4/0. I have tied these on hooks to 9/0-10/0 with 6/0 stingers. Should be noted that you can't legally use stainless hooks when marlin fishing so check fishing regulations if going for IGFA records on fly.

Yes they pulse and sort of shimmy a bit.

Rear extension should never come out and is locked in/overbound on the front hook with appropriate thread + epoxy (full strength). I will also use game crimps just in case. I suppose a big toothy critter might be able to shear it off.

Probably best used on a 12 wt fly rod to handle the weight and bulkiness of the fly. My weapon of choice is an old 12wt Sage RPLB+ 3 pc with Fin Nor #3 or Hayden or Abel. Something with a proper drag system as this will stop you snapping rods with drag control.

Not sure if I answered the questions or not but any variations on the above will work

MXB

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 12:17pm

THANKS MXB the hooks 34007 there the ones IVE tied all my large fly on in the past good price & a pretty fair hook to boot... ILL be using my 13/15 mega with a PENN no  4 international with fast sink tip to give the jew a sportig chance ......NOT ill be pullin the heads off i hope  ,,regards bobLOLLOLWinkWinkCoolCoolCool

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 5:39pm
Thanks MXB
Explained everything.
Regards John

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

THANKS MXB the hooks 34007 there the ones IVE tied all my large fly on in the past good price & a pretty fair hook to boot... ILL be using my 13/15 mega with a PENN no  4 international with fast sink tip to give the jew a sportig chance ......NOT ill be pullin the heads off i hope  ,,regards bobLOLLOLWinkWinkCoolCoolCool

mate your going to have arms like popeye after a few trips out with the 13/15,much better than going to the gym eh?Wink
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:31am
SHE's the big bangger chris just hope i dont get ahernerer from casting the pigWinkWinkLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:33am

The bigger ones were tyed by my good friend Manny and the smaller ones were tyed by me for the school jew.

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:56am
Hello Bob, They'll catch jewie mate...Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
Great work guys...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:29am
@Bob . . .

You'll be fine with the 13/15wt and will be ready for the big boys if they take a fly . . . go Popeye!!

Good flies guys and they will work for other fish too with some of the brighter colours. Here's a few more to give you some ideas;

These are both about 4/5 inches and are like a massive tarpon fly which looks a bit 'Sqiddy'

Call this one the Green Marabou fly

Deep Goo Goo with spun deer hair head - based on a Sar-Mul-Mac but with tan colours

Deep Greenie

A couple more

And another tandem in pink colouring

MXB

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 11:47am
MXB there crackers ill be tying some of them patterns for sure thanks buddy..regards BOBBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileWinkWink
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 1:44pm
bloody good thread this!,theres some really nice unique looking flies coming out of the wood work chaps!Clap
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 9:28am
Wink Ahh just saw my new barra /cod fly a deep greenie. Now the $64.00 question can I buy one from you MXB,
               B.J.Wink
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 9:44am
MXB
Nice thick bodies.
I came across  these eyes yesterday for the first time.
CARE :For age 3 and above
Regards John

doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 9:54am
Wink Ahh Spotlight stores you've gotta love em don't ya? B.J.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 11:39am
Woolworths $3-00 for a 100 not all have eye brows though
Regards John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic