LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fly Fishing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FLYS FOR FLATHEAD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLYS FOR FLATHEAD
    Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 3:49pm
WHATS ya fav flatty fly??????????regards bobBig smile
GB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 9:57pm
Deep Clouser ...Pink body ,red tail , red and chartreuse wing          Gaz. 
be anxious for nothing
Mattya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 11:39pm
The chartreuse and white one, with a black lateral line tied in.
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 5:40pm
That's it I am heading to some sand flats the end of the month.   Might just have to make some of those pretty little things.  Thanks for the blog fellas.

Gordon
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 5:45pm
THINK i may tie some little shrimp patterns with lead clouser eyes in that red &white colour & do the sameBig smileBig smileregards bob
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 6:55pm
I like to use crazy charlie's, pink things and bend backs, the hook points ride up so less snags. As long as they get to the bottom and work in hopping motion.

Big-Pete
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 1:08pm
ANYONE ELSE target flattys with the fly?????????????????Big smileBig smileregards bob
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 6:07pm
A mate of mine used to use pink things up Townsville way when he got sick of barra, the reef fish or the pelagics - he had a tough life up thereLOL
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 6:21pm
THATS a great fly the pink thing they work very wellClapClapClapBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 6:26pm
I haven't yet, but KEEN AS! Cool
Tangle up a coupla extras, BIG FELLA, I'll happily tag along. Thumbs Up
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 9:48pm
The Rattle Rouser is usually my first choice then either chartreuse/white or orange/white clouser with heavy brass eyes. I'm currently tying some RR at the moment after starting them a week or so ago ConfusedConfused. I tie the rattle in the mylar body then epoxy over leaving for a couple of days before tying in the wing. This few are just having a bit more time between stages Wink as I've been tinkering with the snakeskin lures again. Here is another fly I've had success with on flathead the Wiggle Minnow a floating fly but I fish it off a fast sink 350 grain line so that it dives to the bottom on the strip then floats up wiggling as it goes. The only problem this method has is you can line the fish with the sinking line running along the bottom. A very versatile fly.
Fool to the bream
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 9:44am
The completed Rattle Rousers tied on #2 Gama B10S hooks. The bucktail wing is the main thing that inverts the hook to travel upright without dumbells but a coating of epoxy over the mylar/rattle helps also. This fly was developed for fishing over weed beds chasing Redfish in Lousiana, USA so good for shallow water flatties but just as easily fished deeper with an intermediate or sinking line. A floater however gives it the best jigging action for maximum rattle and bucktail movement. Cheers Pat.
Fool to the bream
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 12:50pm
WHAT a great idea them rattles are ive got some here somewhere never used them a sink tip would work well  thanks patb great stuffClapClapClapClapBig smileBig smileregards bob
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 6:31pm
Would the body bulk effect castability, I'm thinking my 6/7 may not carry these well.
Upsizing gear, is not really an option for me. Maybe smaller sized flies would suit better.
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 9:17pm
Mal castability would depend a bit on the line you are using. If you had a dedicated trout taper you would find them a bit jerky if you try to throw very tight loops. A short leader e.g 4-5ft on a clear sink tip like a SA Wet Tip Clear or better still a RIO Outbound Short or a bass style taper shouldn't be a problem. As far as bulk in the fly the bucktail slims down pretty well when wet and not much different to a clouser  just lighter in weight. As the saying goes "less swish more fish" meaning minimise your backcasts - 3 max. 2 is better which goes back to the type of line you use and technique.  I've cast similar but heavier flies on my #4 weight e.g. size 2 bass vampires using an intermediate line you just need to adjust your casting stroke. Cheers Pat.
Fool to the bream
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 10:44pm
My style lends itself best to no false casts, just simply repositioning.
Sounds like I may be able to handle them without too much drama.
Will have to give them a crack (pun intended)
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic