Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Powell Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2013 Kads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Kads
    Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 7:34pm
I was hoping to be well advanced with this year's Kads, but the extreme heat, strong winds and the chance to go fishing (finally!) have put that plan back by about a week.

I've only got a few more Kads to carve (mainly the large ones), but 90% of the lures are glued, sanded and ready for undercoating.  I can handle about 30 lures per batch, so I have started undercoating 10 sets.  This year I have made the mini Kad to go with the 2" & 3" Kads, if they are wanted.

This is the 5th year that I've made the 2" & 3" Kad sets, so I thought that I'd do something different to make this year's Kads a bit special - they are all 'round bums'.  They look like this:

Here's the 10 sets that I have just started undercoating:

The 'round bum' Kads are a one-off, so I hope that those who ordered Kads this year are OK with my decision.  Maybe, if I'm still making lures in 5 years time, I might do the 'round bums' in the 10th year.

Totally unrelated to my decision to make the round bum Kads, is the fact that this is my 30th year of making lures, so it's nice to do something a bit different. Big smile

I was hoping to have the Kads finished by the end of January (I think I said that last year! Dead), but it now looks like 12 members (there are 2 nude sets) will get their Kads before the end of January. The other 6 members may have to wait until about mid Feb.

Cheers

Travers
bdowdy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdowdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:50pm
Nice mate ill have a set in purple / black in each size when you come up for fish ....hint hint lol
hunting and fishing the new england
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 3:31am
Looking very nice there Travers..round bums look good Thumbs Up..Mini kad as well if so pls Travers

Mick!!!
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 7:48am
Travers could you take a photo of one of mine and follow it through the paint stages please.That would interesting. Debbie D
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 8:09am
Quote This year I have made the mini Kad to go with the 2" & 3" Kads, if they are wanted.

Mini kad with the 2" and 3" set? I like that!!!
Might have to come up and pay you another visit Travers...hhehehe
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
lest_55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lest_55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 8:30am
  Travers,
               The round bums look good ClapClap..Better throw in a Mini Kad for me Wink
                                                           Cheers LES
redfish11 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 9:41am
Travers,

Please put a Mini Kad in with mine as well.

Allan
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 11:19am
NICE very very lures there ClapClapClapClapTP TongueTongueTongueregards bob
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 11:32am
Originally posted by handbrake handbrake wrote:

Travers could you take a photo of one of mine and follow it through the paint stages please.That would interesting. Debbie D

Deb, once the undercoat goes on they all look the same Confused, but I can tell you that the Red Cedar 6" and 5" Kads, in the photos, are yours.  Your 4" Kad, in the second photo, is carved from White Beech, there's a 90% chance your 2" Kad will be Brown Beech and the Mini Kad will most likely be Red Cedar.

I did take some photos, during construction, which gives an insight into how I construct all of my lures. These photos may form part of the 'story', that you seek.

Bibs scribed, drilled and ready to cut out.

Twisted wires and bib ready to fit and glue.

Superstrength Araldite syringed into holes and twisted wires fitted.

Fill bib slot with Araldite and cover bib with glue, prior to fitting.

Clean up.

Then, after the glue has set, there's a lot of fine sanding to get the lure ready for undercoating.

Travers

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 11:39am
HOW fine is the last bit of paper powelly 150 ?Big smileBig smileregards bob
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 12:01pm
WinkTravers send me banking details again please and mid february is fine by me mate regards B.J. Looking bloody great as usual and round bums are cool certainly a feature point for future conversation........Clap
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 12:08pm
They are looking good Travers but I must say they look a lot better in the flesh having seen them many times now Wink so you don't want to go fishing with me till you get these done is that right Big smile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 12:13pm
Thanks for the pics Travers....love the shots that show how the lure goes together.
cheers steiny
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by RAVA RAVA wrote:

They are looking good Travers but I must say they look a lot better in the flesh having seen them many times now Wink so you don't want to go fishing with me till you get these done is that right Big smile
I will gladly take up Travers's spot Gary hehehehe LOL
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 3:38pm
"my 30th year of making lures,"

Congratulations on your 30th anniversary of lure making Powelly NewYearand thank you for all your advice and help. 

The fat bum lures look nice and look forward to seeing pics of them painted. 

Cheers Rick 

Fish Choking Lures :)
froggy06 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote froggy06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 3:43pm
Beautiful stuff Travers , i look forward to my " 2014 " set and joining the gang Thumbs Up
dingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 4:12pm
Great stuff Travers.Put me down for a Mini mate.
Love to see all the Kads together when done. A special photo with some very different colours I bet.
Can we reserve a 2014 spot Travers? or does our number remain ours until surrendered.
Congrats on the 30 years.Clap
gdm
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 5:06pm
Congrats Travers on 30 years buddy.
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by dingo dingo wrote:

Great stuff Travers.Put me down for a Mini mate.
Love to see all the Kads together when done. A special photo with some very different colours I bet.
Can we reserve a 2014 spot Travers? or does our number remain ours until surrendered.
Congrats on the 30 years.Clap

G'day Grant

Mini Kad is locked in. I'll actually make one for each of the orders and paint them the appropriate colours. They will be $35 and if they are not wanted, that's OK.  They will be signed and numbered.

Sorry, but no automatic future orders, unless requested.  Some members have put their name on a perpetual list and will keep their same number.  This year, you are #9 and I've penned you into #9 for 2014.  If you want it to go beyond 2014, you will have to let me know.

Cheers

Travers
kris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 7:03pm
Put me down for a mini kad and a spot on next years list. Can't wait to see mine painted! Congratulations on 30 years too!
dingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 7:34pm
Thanks Travers all sounds good.You shouldn't have a problem with any unwanted Mini Kads.
gdm
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 8:02pm
Nice Travers . . . looks like the Mini-Kads are popular and I like the round bum idea.

MXB
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 8:17pm
Very nice travers, and congrats on your 30th year, that's dedication or is it facination. LOL

Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 8:20pm
If you have a spare mini fat bum in the color and pattern of the black over yellow guppy's you put up late last year that were auctioned. 

Please put me down for one - Rick 
Fish Choking Lures :)
manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 8:37pm
Hi Travers. I'll have a little one as well if possible. I take it the nudies will have fat backsides alsoWink ????
Manny
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 1:21pm
The "Test lure" Confused.  Looks like it got at least 1 bite LOL

Definitely one for the mantle piece only!

Travers
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 1:34pm
Congratulations on 30years of luremaking! Travers my request for a progress photoshoot is undercoat, then at least stripes main colour and scale. It's got to look different at every stage.  Debbie D
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by handbrake handbrake wrote:

Congratulations on 30years of luremaking! Travers my request for a progress photoshoot is undercoat, then at least stripes main colour and scale. It's got to look different at every stage.  Debbie D
No problems, Debbie.  I'll take your 6 Kads and hang them away from the others.  That will make it easier to take progressive shots.

Travers
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 2:28pm
Congratulations on 30 years Travers! Do you have any idea on how many lures you have made in that time? I thought it might be interesting to know.
cheers steiny
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 2:38pm
Congratulations on 30 years Travers , I always enjoy looking at your lures, and if ya want to paint the one with a bite out of it , I will pay ya for it . Thumbs Up
Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 5:16pm
looking good travers.
Ian that was going to be my request but in a nude.....just beat me too it!
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 5:32pm
Congratulations Travers on 30yrs of making lures, you sure do make a good lure......Thumbs Up

Lionel
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 7:08pm
Travers, 30 years of lure-making, congratulations are very well deservedClapClapClap.All that saw dust, glue & paint fumes, and no accidents with fingers etc?? Well done on all those 1st class creations!! Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 2:02pm
Thanks for all the Beer on 30 years of whittling.  No fingers lost or seriously damaged ...... yet!  Not sure why I've kept carving for that long.  Probably just trying to use up the endless supply of trebles and split rings LOL

Well, ...............  you know what they say about the "best laid plans"? Embarrassed  I was aiming to have the first batch of Kads finished by this weekend, but the extreme heat, high humidity and even some thick foggy mornings have prevented me getting the last undercoat on.  Probably wouldn't have mattered anyway, because it's just wet, wet, wet this weekend.  Still, it's a much better scenario than flooding rains (although they may come tomorrow!) or bushfires.

The reason that I was trying to get the Kads finished this month is because February and March are our most humid months.  So, we'll play this one by ear.

I knocked out a couple of nude round bum Kads, last month, to see how they would look.  Unfortunately, I tried dipping the 3" in clear lacquer and ended with 'bubble coat'Cry.  I've sanded it back, a bit, and sprayed clear on but it's still not right.  Won't be dipping lures again!

The 2" Kad is King Billy Pine, the 3" & Mini Kad are Aust Red Cedar

Cheers

Travers
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:18pm
g'day travers missed this post before...Congratulations on 30yrs of lure assembly mateClapClapClap Gee that billy pine looks cool ay???? Anyway all the best.......B.J.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic