LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going weedless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Basswhisperer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basswhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going weedless
    Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 11:25am
Well spend all week working on the idea of fishing weedless for flathead in paticular. Almost a way of replicating the way they fish for saratoga in places like corroboree billabong. Whilst we don't have the exciting tropical species down south, it looks like a funway to fish.
       Hit the water Sunday monring no wind dead calm maybe to calm with a making tide. made locating weed beds diffiuclt. I eventually found the broken ground I was after and drifted with the tide firing casts into the weedclumps and stopping my lure on the sands flats. After 10 minutes I hooked up to a small flathead. Great hook up on the wide weedless hook, never going to loose him. Fun way to fish!
      I fished normal whipping techniques also on standard jig heads as a way of guaging the effectivness and caught nothing. So not only was it fun it was effective. Will post pics when I get a chance

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 5:53pm
One thing to do with any nylon weedguard from the US, trim about 1/2 of it off the front, they are designed for US weeds, mainly Hydrilla and also for the big hits of US Bass. I have missed a few OZ Bass when they don't smack the lure hard, trimming the fibre count down seemed to make a big difference in the hook up stakes.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basswhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 8:04am
Hi guys bought some gamagatsu 2/0 weedless hooks last night. They were cheap as there was a 15% sale on. Have rigged up some squidgy fish weedless and incorporated a small ball sinker into the loop knot. I will post some pics later.
dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 8:33pm
Yeah I've used weed guards before and they work really well. Perfect for chucking on a betts spin.

The other option is the weedless frogs, they are a bit weird when you first start using them, sort of like the first time you threw a spinnerbait but geez they work well and the hits are ferocious on them. You can chuck those things just about anywhere. Deep in reeds, or worked over lilly pads they are brilliant.

If you find a decent source of the owners or gamakatsu's with weed guards let me know. I need some more.
tupong View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 12:34pm
I've tried a few different styles of weedless jigheads and presentation styles and one of the best is the Owner Ultrahead Finesse ball jighead, mainly targeting bass and E.P's in heavy cover,a mate put me onto them.

Have heard good things about some of the weedless jigheads that are used in the states that have weed guards but havent got around to  ordering any or getting the molds too make em. I've been looking at getting this mold for Bass and E.P's

regards mick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basswhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 12:05pm
Hi everyone,

I have been revisiting the idea of going weedless again for a viarety of species. Spurred on by watching a segment on the fishing DVD with Steve Starling. I have been purchasing a variety of weedless hooks to play with.
      Has anyone else gone down this path and had andy great sucess.?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic