LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THIN BRAID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THIN BRAID
    Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 10:06am
whats the thinnest diameter braid you can purchess on them market in4+8lb range??????????Big smileBig smileregards bob
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 11:31am
maybe Nanofil or castman by YGK in Japan
The Journey is the Reward

Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 12:00pm
Your not getting THIN on us are you Bob.?????61
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
vermiculite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vermiculite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 12:17pm
Tasline gets plugged on the kayak fishing forums, havent used it myself but people seem to like it. There are some comparisons on their page also www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 12:54pm
THANKS boys will look into that&dont you start LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLWinkWinkWinkregards bob
amdoubleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amdoubleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 3:08pm
4lb braid, better eyes than mine Bob.
Padgey View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Power Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padgey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 4:02pm
Don't know about that pound size, the 40 lb that I`ve just started using is about the same size as some 15 lb that I`ve got , OHDRAGON/ WX 8, made in Japan, I think it go`s down to the size you`re after, I`ve found this great for casting have not had any problems with it, cheers Bryan. 
HANDCARVED and HANDMADE TIMBER LURES
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 4:07pm
THANKS boys 1000 size reels with shallow spools fishin poppers over sand &gravel etc for whitting chears WinkBig smileBig smileBig smileTongueClapregards bob
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 4:20pm
Bob, buy Aussie made, one of the best braids around.
Platypus Super-Braid
Breaking strains and equivalent monofilament diameters
2 lb (0.5 lb mono),
4 lb (1 lb mono),
8 lb (2 lb mono)

I know personally it works on small 50mm poppers, we use over the flats with a good rod length of flurocarbon to offset the braid colour in yellow.

I have seen guys fish the Berkley Ice Crystal Fireline and they seem to like it..it comes down to 1lb rating.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 5:58pm
THANKS brad iam a fan of of that brand in the mono  ClapClapClapClapregards bob
Benno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:39am
SAS braid tasline is meant to be the thinnest. That Paulus guy is part of it. I'm still waiting for a sample. http://www.justfishingtasline.com/#!sas-tournament-series/c2c3
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 2:10pm
I THINk we"ll go with the berkley NANOFIL looks like value for ya buck TongueTongueTongueregards bob
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 7:22pm
I use 4lb Sunline Super PE and damn happy with it. I've read quite a few negative reports about Nanofil on the breaming forum so maybe do a search via google on feedback from people who have used it. Cheers Pat.
Fool to the bream
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 7:31pm
THANKS pat will do Big smileBig smileregards bob
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 8:04pm
Pat and Bob that Sunline Super 6lb has some serious casting distance unlike any I've ever used but there is a con the wind knots are frequent with surface lure fishing and they are very difficult to unpick I was casting to the backing in less than 3 months and spent a lot of time trying to fix the knots. I went back to fins it's not the thinnest but doesn't ever let me down :)
Small Scale Lure Creations; Lure making on hold ATM.
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 8:23pm
I rate Fins braid and agree with Darbs...the platypus superbraid is great - very strong.
cheers steiny
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 8:47pm
I need the distance without the windknots  WinkWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 12:14am
With really fine braid, wind knots can be a problem. The trick is to keep your leaders short and fine so it clears the runners quick and doesn't bunch the braid in the guides. Also throw your bail arm over manually and start the retrieve by lifting your rod tip so you don't lay a couple of loose loops, the biggest cause of "Wind Knots!" Get a try of the Daiwa Interline rods, in 3 years I have never thrown a wind knot or popped a leader, the only way to go for ultra light braids. Sunline Rockfish is extremely fine so is Toray Saltline, Cheers Paul.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 5:47am
THANKS paul will look into them alsoBig smileregards bob
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 10:13am
I'll second the recommendation for Fins.  In 4lb I don't use anything else any more. 
If you want a budget option, it's not particularly "cool" to say so, but I rate regular fireline way higher than the crystal and I think it is excellent for the money.
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 2:37pm
I have been using Berkley Egi Master Braid for a good while and have found it great on baitcasters and threadlines,Its very thin and supple not to dear .Lofty
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 2:39pm
SEEMs to be alot on the marketConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedBig smileBig smileregards bob
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

whats the thinnest diameter braid you can purchess on them market in4+8lb range??????????Big smileBig smileregards bob

Use 4lb mono BOB Laff

Cheers
Wal

Illusion Lures
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 8:40pm
Thinnest Ive used was berkley WHIPLASH.....but it was crap.....
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 12:55pm
ANY new braid on the market yet??????????? ive been useing some red hunter sent me down  its fantastic ill  let ian on one one thing ill be wanting some more in the white EmbarrassedEmbarrassedBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 1:10pm
Just out of interest, with the fine Braid being used, what type of knot do you guys mainly use.
Any problems, slippages, failures, leader coming adrift.

Regards John
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 1:35pm
HEY, BIG BOY!!!
I STILL only use MONO in small range(1-3kg)
The shock absorbtion of Mono helps.
Big W now stocks Stealth Braid, did consider this for some weeks, but bought Mono anyway.
$21.00/150m, fair price.
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 3:07pm
JOHN   I use afew knots the best ive found is the albright___shock leader knot ---& i dig the nail knot but use that for flyfishing mostlly & use the same knots on mono too mal ties a few knots what are they MAL/////????Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 4:18pm
John, this is a post I put up a while ago. I still use this knot for attaching all of my mono leaders to braid.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 4:25pm
Blood Knot down a hook shank, the Boys get me to tie it behind my back, I think they are betting with their mates. Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up (been doing it in the dark, up to 100 times a night, for tooooooo long)
Double Uni knot for joining leader to main line, being Braid or Mono, coupla extra turns for Braid.
Cats Paw, for Swivels or Snaps.
Spider Hitch for Doubles.
Most other knots, though have their place, are not applicable to my everyday fishing.
Thanx for putin me on the spot, ya big lump.
Nail knot for Fly line, but, do you carry a needle???
My youngest is 8y/o and is proficient in tieing all of the above.
I DARE you to challenge him!!!
(wear a cup) OuchCryOuchDead
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 4:27pm
I surely hope it doesn't get caught in the runners, Martin.
DARK LORD
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 4:40pm
They easily slip through the runners. I use a spider hitch, with less turns around the thumb to make the loop in the braid. 

When using mono, I use the full spider hitch and a cats paw to attach swivels or snaps.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic