LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > D.I.Y Moulded Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Polyurethane Foam Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polyurethane Foam Tips
    Posted: 02 May 2013 at 10:10am
Just wondering whether anyone has some pointers on using Polyurethane Foam they dont mind sharing? Never used it before but interested to try it so have some on order. The Manufacturer claims the density is about the same a Jelutong which I use to when making a wood lure. This is a 2X epanding foam, final density about 0.4.

I have a fair amount experience with poly resin and MB's but from what I have heard the expanding foams are another game all together.

Thanks in advance

Angus
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:06am
hello angus, i used a product in the early nineties that foamed about 8 times larger than the amount you mixed, the moulds were set in timber and clamped after i injected the foam in i screwed a bolt in so no foam could get out so it would pack into a hard lure body that floated , also used a product called TC 812 from barnes , no need for packing with this foam and was very easy to use as long as it was mixed correctly and kept away from humidity it had a 1 minute use time so you could inject 4 or 5 lures at a time , it would just foam up to the top of the mould and stop, if it foamed more than that   it was moisture contaminated and no good that is the biggest problem you will encounter with urathanes moisture get rid if that and its all good, pearcey
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:05pm

Pearcey,

yep 8X is a decent bit of expansion, thankfully this one only expands 2x so should be all good with silicon moulds. It arrived today actually so will give it a go tonight.

The TC812 product from barnes is not available any more, but even it is heavier than I am looking for. As with all of them though, moisture is a pain in the but.

thanks again

Angus
disco stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disco stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 6:59pm
I know this is an old thread and going back a fair while, but just wondering about the foam you use for the lures. Is it the softer type closed cell stuff, or a hard polyurethane foam? I have pondered moulding lures out of this stuff as well
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 7:19am
Sturat, theres a big learning curve when it comes to moulding lures , being self taught i think i have made every mistake possible , my advice would be to seek out someone who is pouring lures around your area and ask if you can watch the process , if not i can give you some names and numbers of types of casting resins that are mostly user friendly , cheers pearcey
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 2:09pm
Stu,

It was hard foam, I tried it but didn't like it in the end. I found getting a good skin and finish was simple with the final weight being exactly what I was looking for. Problem I found (which I confirmed with the manufacturer) was that when it got hot the foam would soften. It hardened again when cool but that was enough make me give up on it. Nothing i could do about it I was told, just a characteristic of expanding foams. To test it out I made a couple Barra lures out of it and left them in the sun for the day, just as I would while Barra fishing. The result was that I could bend the lure like a banana. Not something that appealed to me so I stopped using it.

I personally enjoy moulding and would recommend it to anyone but I would suggest you will spend a lot of time figuring it out and spend some coin in the meantime. Let us know ow you go if get into it,

Angus
disco stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disco stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 8:14pm
Thanks guys. Not something I'm looking at doing now, just something I've thought about looking into eventually. Too many other things taking my energy at the moment.

Spewing it didn't end up working out.

I'll be sure to ask away when I start thinking about moulding more seriously, cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic