LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > RMG
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cod Rellik

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cod Rellik
    Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:19pm
Sourced this 'painted stick' from my recent "Hunter Hustings" trip last weekend.

wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
stinger View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:28pm
nice pickup old fellow was it in wagga wagga
REMEMBER FOOLS RUSH IN WERE ANGELES FEAR TO TREAD
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 10:41am
Probably made from Jetalong Gary, shame the paint didn't seem to adhere to well to this timber, same happened to a 'barra' model I had. Started cracking even before seeing water, lovely shape, but I think RMG had problems with this timber.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 6:16pm
I have a few of these lure and one in particular has the cracking in the paint work that you are talking about. Is there anything you can do to stop the rot or is a repaint at some time the only option ? Regards, Ken.
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:55pm
Jelutong is a great wood for lures, you just need to have the right undercoat. Grey Automotive primer turned out not to be it, but to be fair sometimes it took a long time for problems to raise their heads. Kept out of water, it should remain stable?
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 10:15pm
You are dead right there Paul - safely sitting away from any waterLOL.

wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 6:29am
GOOD onya wadey thats A CRACKER of a lure there mate ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapBig smileBig smileregards bob
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 9:35am
Don't want to hijack wadey's thread but Pauls post raises a question.

"Jelutong is a great wood for lures, you just need to have the right undercoat. Grey Automotive primer turned out not to be it"

Paul for the benefit of those here using Jelutong to make their lures, What turned out to be THE RIGHT undercoat system???

Cheers Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

Don't want to hijack wadey's thread but Pauls post raises a question.

"Jelutong is a great wood for lures, you just need to have the right undercoat. Grey Automotive primer turned out not to be it"

Paul for the benefit of those here using Jelutong to make their lures, What turned out to be THE RIGHT undercoat system???

Cheers Brad
Pm sent
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 10:03am
I use a sellys allround wood sealer one coat seems the go &its clear also works for meWinkLOLLOLLOLBig smileBig smileregards bob
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 11:00am
I've got one here that's never seen water and it had a couple of very small hair line cracks in it (none when it left the mainland ) I thought I may have been from the flight but now its been sitting in a display case in the shed , its cracked ALL over it looks terrible

I'm putting it down to the cold air in the shed but its the only lure in the Cabinet to do this.

Rick   
Fish Choking Lures :)
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 11:03am
In my couple of years using Jelutong I found a little problem
with it...WinkWinkWinkwhen the timber yards get it in from the importers
it's still green and full of moisture hence the timber is still growing
I found that when you finished shaping your lure and ready for paint
whack it or them in some cases into the microwave for twenty seconds..WinkWinkWink
take it out and you can feel the moisture coming out of it..if it seems not to be
enough put in back in for another twenty let it air dry to get the moisture off
and then put your sealer on it... forty seconds is nothing these days..LOLLOLLOLLOL
 I should write that book Hey...SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 11:14am
GREAT tip tooch i use an old infered bar lamp ive had from day one seems to do the trick alsoWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 11:20am
Seems like alot of frigging around to me, just give Jelutong a big miss, plenty of other good Aussie timbers out there. If RMG had hindsight, I'm sure he wouldn't have used it.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic