LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Books and Publications > Vintage and Collectible Books and Publications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Erskine Interview Jan 1990

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jack Erskine Interview Jan 1990
    Posted: 28 May 2013 at 7:18pm
Found this 5 page interview with Jack Erskine the Tackle Maestro  Fishing News Jan 1990

First two pages which includes a wall of lures.

regards John

Small technical issues resolved .  (My lack of computer skills)

Enjoy

Regards John
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:02pm
Fantastic stuff.Thankyou John.
The Journey is the Reward

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:05pm
I will add the other three pages tomorrow.
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:20pm
Great article...looks like some Reidys 'big barra' lures on the wall !
cheers steiny
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 10:14pm
Thats a great read and picture, had the pleasure of meeting Jack a while ago when Barry stopped by home with him, lovely bloke. Thanks for sharing.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 10:51pm
Great John, thank you--looking forward to the next edition.
Never knew he grew up in Wollongong, I probably busted a few of his lines down there LOL.
Bloody legend.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 11:03pm
Gee John your'e a tease, that's like seeing the first episode of "Number 96', can't wait for the next page.
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
PeterMack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 8:08am
Great read - thanks John.

Peter McC.
Regards Peter Mack.
tupong View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 8:49am
Great read.

regards mick
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 8:51am
Looking forward to part 2 . Thumbs Up
Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 9:12am
I am getting the pages ready, but the thread/ site will not allow me to place under the photo need help from Tony to place in order, being PM Sent

Regards John

Once again, Tony to the rescueThumbs Up

Thanks

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 9:47am
Three additional pages added   Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

regards John

kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:26am
Thank you for such an interesting post. I thought I might add something about Jack's pre Cairns days. In the early 1970s I was one of those school kid tragics who used to look in the windows of tackle shops and get all excited about tackle that I could see but not then afford. I started making my own rods around that time. Jack Erskine was already an established name in rod making having had a hand in some early Jarvis Walker designs. My father (now in his mid 80s) still has and uses a solid glass Jack Erskine Deluxe spinning rod matched to an equally aged and venerable DAM 221S reel. Jack Erskine and Bill Fitch in those days had a rod making workshop next door to one of my favourite tackle shops called Fisherman's Paradise/Fishermans World in Sydney's Haymarket area. It is now long gone but John Bethune amongst other luminaries sometimes worked there. The Erskine Fitch workshop was a long, skinny room with not have much exposure to the street beyond an unmarked doorway. Fortunately for me, Jack and Bill took pity on the enthusiastic but then near penniless school kid, providing recipes for more than one rod, tips on what to do next and professionally cutting blanks to permit someone dependant on public transport to get about. I still use a blackfish rod they helped me with. Based on an old Sportex 663 blank it dispensed with a few luderick on the Central Coast just last weekend. This thread and those fish reminded me again of Jack and Bills kindness to me. Regards, Ken.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 5:27pm
Hi Ken
They were the good old times when  a little thought and guidance, and a bit of kindness, went along way.

Regards John

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 10:46am
Great article, thanks John. Someone mentioned Reidy's Big Barra lures on the wall pic, interestingly I've just learnt Jack called and requested Jeff Reid make some of his 'timber' lures to stock in the shop, this was around 1982.
So they're out there guys, in Cairns and in tackle boxes LOL.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:06pm
Jack was a legend amongst the early pioneers of LBG and High speed spinning off the rocks with, Ron Calcuctt and co.
A lot of the newer generation dont realise how many of the grandfathers of Australian gamefishing/sportfishing cut their teeth on the rocks of southern NSW.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Three additional pages added   Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

regards John

Where John????
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:46pm
Pete, underneath the original post total of 5 pages now.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:20pm
Thanks John--Only had to lookOuch.
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:03pm
Great read John- I found out two interesting things, we grew up in the same town and we have both fished for Striped Bass in Missouri, problem is my best was about 2-lb, not 20, never knew they grew that big LOL.
Shame he died so young, sounds like he would still have had a lot to offer.
Also great 'back story' there Ken.
Thanks again John.
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic