LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Art of Fly Tying
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flies from your vise - Share what you have been ty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tak35bne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tak35bne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flies from your vise - Share what you have been ty
    Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 6:59pm
Just thought I would start this to see what everyone has been tying, I will kick it off with a few from my vise recently.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 7:16pm
DIGGIN the black headed grover thing  very cool flys broClapClapClapClapClapClapWinkTongueTongueTongueregards bob
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 7:28pm
There was no GOAT on Sesame Street.
Very nice Flys!
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
Digitalis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 8:26pm
I don't fish flys, but I do like the bottom one picking up the ultra voilet!
Matt.
It's only a stick untill it has TEETH MARKS in it!!!
tak35bne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tak35bne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Digitalis Digitalis wrote:

I don't fish flys, but I do like the bottom one picking up the ultra voilet!
Matt.

Its a UV Polar Chenille Minnow. It has a flat pearl braid for the under-body then the Chenille is palmered around the hook with the fibers stroked back on each wrap to give the effect it has.

Trout tramp View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trout tramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 9:03pm
Very nice I take it that the eye's on fly number four glow in the dark
It would work well and would work well on the uv polar minnow also
I tie a similar pattern to your polar minnow with uv materials and the glow eyes for chasing sea run trout of a night or for when the sea runners drop out into the deeper water/ main river channel
Cheers
Trout tramp
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 10:06pm
Nicely presented "bend back " fly too , love olive green WinkClapClapClapClap
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
tak35bne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tak35bne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Trout tramp Trout tramp wrote:

I tie a similar pattern to your polar minnow with uv materials and the glow eyes for chasing sea run trout of a night or for when the sea runners drop out into the deeper water/ main river channel
Cheers
Trout tramp

I don't think the eyes glow, its called a scruffie charlie. I suppose on most flies of this ilk the eyes are just enabling the fly to ride hook point up (same as the white clouser with the black lateral line).

The UV Polar Chenille Minnow is just a baitfish for tailor and the like, there is no weight tied to the hook shank on that one.
Digitalis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 10:16pm
There very crisp photos you've taken! I don't think fishing is your only strong point?
Matt.
It's only a stick untill it has TEETH MARKS in it!!!
Trout tramp View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trout tramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by tak35bne tak35bne wrote:

Originally posted by Trout tramp Trout tramp wrote:

Cheers
Trout tramp

I don't think the eyes glow, its called a scruffie charlie. I suppose on most flies of this ilk the eyes are just enabling the fly to ride hook point up (same as the white clouser with the black lateral line).

The UV Polar Chenille Minnow is just a baitfish for tailor and the like, there is no weight tied to the hook shank on that one.
No worries mate its just that they have that lumo appearance to them and look the same as some I have used in the past. You tie some very good flies Clap. Thanks for sharing the photo's
Cheers
Trout tramp
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 3:16am
What brand of vice is that it looks a neat set up some great flys in there
Thanks Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
tak35bne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tak35bne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Strangalures Strangalures wrote:

What brand of vice is that it looks a neat set up some great flys in there
Thanks Rick

Rick, the vise is a Griffin Montanna Mongoose, I actually gave it away a week or so ago to a mate of mine as I have just taken delivery of a new Dyna-King Barracuda Deluxe.

The Griffin was a strong vise, no probs at all but my mate needed a vise so I got a newbie and gave him the Griffin.

Dave

EDIT: I will post a pic of the new vise later this morning (when I wake up again........lol).
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 9:15am
Cool thanks , it would nice to see the set up you use
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 9:32am
Dave I like the effect of the first fly with the black /stem/ body how does it come up wet, looks an idea white bait fly, one of the best I have come across. Great tying.Thumbs Up
Thin black plastic tubing used I presume.
The boys chasing the sea runners on the west coast of Tassie, would put it to the test there.

Would be interested to see some more, when you find time

Regards John
tak35bne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tak35bne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Dave I like the effect of the first fly with the black /stem/ body how does it come up wet, looks an idea white bait fly, one of the best I have come across. Great tying.Thumbs Up
Thin black plastic tubing used I presume.
The boys chasing the sea runners on the west coast of Tassie, would put it to the test there.

Would be interested to see some more, when you find time

Regards John

John, its an all white clouser that has from memory black krystal flash tied in both sides as a lateral line. If you want PM me your address and I will send you half a dozen.

Dave
tak35bne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tak35bne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Strangalures Strangalures wrote:

Cool thanks , it would nice to see the set up you use

Here is a pic of my fly tying bench, tying some all-white clousers for screamingreel......:)

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 3:58pm
FANTASTIC fly bench wish i was that neat ive got half my room full of dead road killLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLWinkClapTongueTongueTongueregards bob
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 6:41pm
Like the Light and the disposable system, mine was attached to the side of the table I like the idea it is closer when cutting material.
Great bench,  not  overly cluttered. Everything in its place.

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 7:31pm
That's one nice set up you have man you make me feel messy thanks for sharing , there's a lot of guys that appreciate good flies here.
Cheers Rick
tak35bne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tak35bne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 2:50pm
Latest from the vise, my first attempt at a Fish Skull Deep Minnow, not quite happy with the proportions so back to the vise and in the bin for this one........:)

tak35bne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tak35bne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 6:01pm
I also started playing around with spinning deer hair today, never tried it before and I can see why its a pain in the ar$e, here is my first attempt.

Dave

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 6:02pm
Very hard on yourself, I sure the fish would not mind

Looks great in the photoWink
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 8:51pm
Agreed!
Sharpen your snippers if they wont do you proud!
Check the minnow in water, it may turn out to be better than you think.
DARK LORD
tak35bne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tak35bne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 12:24pm
Got some EP 3D Fiber from Fishhead yesterday to have a crack at the EP Shrimp. I had tried this pattern before with standard EP Fiber and the 3D fiber makes a lot of difference.

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 1:37am
I have tied a lot off Muddlers, and as a first one yours is just fine. Nice trimmed and all Thumbs Up
Don't now if you already have done it. But you can easily apply the hear at two sessions. Just push the first layer firmly back, and then aply the Next. Less hair makes it more easy to get them spin round the hook. Also use a fairly strong tread, so you don't break it pulling them round
That chrimp would fore sure go fore some Trout on ouers coast here
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 8:48pm
Dave , the proportions on the skull minnow aren't so bad, just a little more body may have set it off better but that is just my opinion , maybe you should let the fish tell you otherwise WinkWinkClapClapClapClapClapClap
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:20pm
Played with the Carp this evening, couple of huge explosions, no positive hook-ups.
DARK LORD
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:53pm
You've got to get the fly IN the water you know Oh Dark One WinkLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Mr Viper Mr Viper wrote:

You've got to get the fly IN the water you know Oh Dark One WinkLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Yeah-Yeah, I know!!! LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
I did leave one in the grass behind me, somewhere! OuchWinkWinkWinkLOL

Do you have a suggestion, Mr Vper, of which fly I should employ for this task???
DARK LORD
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Mal Vader Mal Vader wrote:

, couple of huge explosions,
probably from the vindaloo you had for tea last night?LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLWink
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

Originally posted by Mal Vader Mal Vader wrote:

, couple of huge explosions,
probably from the vindaloo you had for tea last night?LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLWink

Nah!!!
Me da cook, and a fair 1 at that! ClapClapClap
Though, throwin extra onions in Chow Mein, does make for smelly breeze!!! DeadWinkWinkWink
DARK LORD
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 5:48pm
For those ugly Carp you may try some little Bass Vampires ,you know , those ones you don't posess yet LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Just say the words ,Yes Please Master WinkApprove
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 6:32pm
This has had a couple of close calls, made by BOB.

DARK LORD
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 9:09pm
Tongue MESSY YEAST PLASTER!!! WackoClownConfusedShocked
DARK LORD
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 11:58pm
Is that the one you use on carp Mal? is it weighted?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic