LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rattles, deep knock knock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rattles, deep knock knock
    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:39am
All the recent Krewfische sporting a rattle inside are made in the fashion of using laminates. Like Beetle said, a bit of work. The reward is worth it, plus the nude lures are eye catching. The added benefit is playing with the buoyancy, thus adding a timber that provides a solid action.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and self explanatory.
Beetle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:04pm
I make my low-tone rattle lures by using a laminated type construction. Instead of carving the body from a single piece of timber, start with a thinner centre piece and two veneers to go on each side. Temporarily glue the laminations together using some spray adhesive, cut out shape, clean edges with sander to get side profile. Then separate the laminations. The centre section holds the hook hangers and has holes drilled through to make the rattle chamber. Permanently araldite one side back on. Pop some ball bearings or split shot into the hole/s, then glue the other side on being careful to not get any glue in the rattle chamber. Once cured, shape lure as normal. Tadaaa! One lure with nice, low pitched rattles. A bit of work, but a lot of fun and worth it in my book.
New Signing View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Signing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 4:38pm
Thanks fella's good to know im on the right track
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by LOBBY LOBBY wrote:

heading to Glenlyon Dam this morning for three days so will try the rattles out.
we want pictures of the fish LobbyThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
LOBBY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 7:43am
heading to Glenlyon Dam this morning for three days so will try the rattles out.
DON
LOBBY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 9:57pm
I use a 22 case with rim filed off and a couple of BB shot as rattles. They are made of steel. I cap the ends with 6mm ali punchouts and seal the hole in the body of the lure with a dowel plug. This seems to work for me. LOBBY.
DON
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by New Signing New Signing wrote:

I haven't produced any lures with rattles as yet but it hit me the other day while out shooting. I have basically an endless supply of useless 22 brass casings.

I was thinking i could just bore out a hole in the lure guts, place a lead pellet or two in the casing and glue the casing into the lure using araldite. Has anyone tried this? if so did it work? or am i pioneering my way to failure? LOL
its an oldie but a goody mate works very wellThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 7:02pm
Clay shooting and that's where I get the rattles from sometimes.Wink 

Cheers
Dave

Life is fishing!
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by New Signing New Signing wrote:

I haven't produced any lures with rattles as yet but it hit me the other day while out shooting. I have basically an endless supply of useless 22 brass casings.

I was thinking i could just bore out a hole in the lure guts, place a lead pellet or two in the casing and glue the casing into the lure using araldite. Has anyone tried this? if so did it work? or am i pioneering my way to failure? LOL

Very common way to do it.
New Signing View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Signing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 12:19pm

beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 7:18am
Quote didnt go with it.
So its not really that funny anymore.
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 7:17am
It's funniest because you're name is nutter.
jebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 7:55pm
Interesting Ron, thank you
Cheers
Justin
retiredron View Drop Down

Local Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 2:20am
Hi guys,--Did some investigation into sound (distance travelled underwater) with the fisheries dept. in Moreton Bay some years ago.-I just supplied the boat. The best result was--
Two lead balls approx. 1 cm in dia.
sound travelled past a sound station at 50 yards away.
Two steel balls similar size
Flat out reaching sound station at 5 yards
Remember low sounds made by whales travel 100's of KLS.
Sorry cant remember any of the other results.
RON
greybeard
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 3:32pm
Scott, I put this post up in 2010. It explains how I put rattles in my lures.

Cheers

Travers
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 8:11am
I go with Pete I have just completed a bunch of blanks for Barra and Jacks etc,these were split then a hole was drilled a bit bigger and twice the dia of the steel ball in length,nice clunking sound comes from this chamber
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 2:28am
Ive used rubber a slug mounted 2/3 forward of the axis of movement gives lo thud rather than a rattle 
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by rally44 rally44 wrote:

Try lead sinkers for a dull clunk clunk sound.Steel bearings and Gal/S.S blanks for a higher pitch,(for balls to hit against).Try 1c/2c coins for dull ,lower noise.Let us know how it goes! Cheers Richard.
Scott-
I'm with Richard and have never used tubes with tin ends, .22 shells or glass rattles--I like to split the lure and make a round cavity in either side of the blank (with a round rotary burr)  then just enclose an undersize lead ball in there, this is the dull rattle--keep an eye/ear on it though, when you add the top coat the resonance will rise a little------------there are some pictures on here somewhere.
pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Dave View Drop Down
Assassin Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 10:40pm
Hi Nutter  i use 22 shells in different lengths i think if i  were making bass ,  trout  lures id use ali tubing like Shane said experiment with what u have i use stainless bb and ive used glass with good effect a walk through craft shops can be a gold mine the old  mitre  11 is another good  spot. hope my bablings help. cheers Dave  
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 10:09pm
THUNK THUNK...STEEL BALLS cos they roll better and LEAD end caps Wink
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 10:04pm
Try lead sinkers for a dull clunk clunk sound.Steel bearings and Gal/S.S blanks for a higher pitch,(for balls to hit against).Try 1c/2c coins for dull ,lower noise.Let us know how it goes! Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 9:53pm
i think timber balls would make an interesting knock....worth playing with.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 9:40pm
Scott, you should stop there , now go and get some brass balls of different sizes and try , you will be surprised by the deeper sound , go on , off you go WinkLOLLOLLOLLOL you can also choose the material for the end caps to make a different sound " thinking "Ermm
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
nutter View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Nutterjuck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 9:22pm
I'll just stop now
Nutterjuck Lures
Simple, done well

nutter View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Nutterjuck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 9:22pm
EDIT EDIT

my owns balls. Don't like used ones
Nutterjuck Lures
Simple, done well

nutter View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Nutterjuck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 9:21pm
Looks like I need to play with some balls
Nutterjuck Lures
Simple, done well

Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 9:19pm
To me, timber balls make a clicking sound.
Maybe hard rubber balls, but bounce may then be a problem.
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
nutter View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Nutterjuck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 9:15pm
Cheers,
Yeah was thinking along theses lines but was just putting this out there to see what others have played with. Thinking of trying a timber bead to get the deep low tone knock I'm after. Not looking for the normal tiny rattle most mass produced lures sound like.
Nutterjuck Lures
Simple, done well

Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 9:13pm
Using Shanes idea, above, split shot, closed up should make a deeper note.
Sideways, because action will throw shot to ends of tube, produces louder knock.
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 8:58pm
Scott, try drilling or milling a hole in the body of the lure in question and insert a piece of plastic tube in it and glue ,then fit a cap over one end and insert some ball bearings into the tube and cap the other end ,smooth over ends with araldite (24Hr ) usage of glass, brass or metal balls will give a different effect even the size or mixture of balls will sound different ,you choose your desired effect.Wink
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
nutter View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Nutterjuck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 8:50pm
Been asked it I could produce a walker with a rattle in it. Over the years I've played with fly rattles and really did not like the results.
Looking for a deep knock knock sound. So what/how/materials/techniques should I be looking into???????

Thanks
Nutterjuck Lures
Simple, done well

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic