LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7' 6" Baitcaster Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7' 6" Baitcaster Wanted
    Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 9:57am
Looking for a 7' 6" baitcaster / overhead rod with a medium taper, rated at 6-7 kg's with a lure cast weight of say 3/4 oz ???

Price mid $100's quality wise Thumbs Up

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 10:42am
ooohhhh...that could be hard to fill Rob, off the shelf here anyway. Certainly more options from the US Bass Pro or Cabellas would have some pitching/flipping/frog rods about that $

A quick look at locally available baitcaster rods reveals little of the specs combo you want. Most rods top out at 6'6".

Good luck in the search mate
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 11:02am
Kinda narrow specs for the Australian retail range. What's your intended purpose?

You might compromise less if you built one. Some blanks easily available that are in your ballpark ... which suits best depends on intended use. You could import components for a good quality end-product for easily less than $200 if you have the skills to put it together (or know someone who can).

JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 11:05am
In case it's helpful, blank codes I was thinking about include:
T2FS905T
T2P904
RF2P904
X13-B
MB903-MHX
CB903-Blend

Copy/paste into the search feature here:

Building rods isn't hard, but you need the kit. Building works of art is hard, but making something better than what you'll find in the tackle shop is dead easy.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 11:14am
Rob - I went to great pains trying to support the local industry for the rods i wanted recently.
Rods were for overseas fishing coming up, but I can think of a range of local uses, so that's not an excuse.
We really don't get a look at a lot of the amazing ranges available overseas.  And I'm not talking about brands we dont see - but there is really no reason 'musky' rods built for throwing big 1oz spinnerbaits couldn't be rebadged as 'cod' rods for exactly the same purpose here.
In the end I bought 3 rods from local ranges - and none are exactly what I wanted.
I bought one - second hand, and have since decided not to carry it.  Then I bought 2 in the motackle sale before xmas.
I guess the winning point for me is that I should be able to flog them as locally bought after my trip (if I don't destroy them fishing them above their spec).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend going overseas immediately if the local supply isn't exactly what you want.  The more you dwell on it, the more you are likely to eventually compromise, and the more chance of regret later.
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 11:38am
Having spent the last couple of months downrigging for natives we've been slowing working out the right formula from a gear perspective. That covers, downriggers, bombs, release clips, lures, rods etc, etc and reckon we've just about got it right now.  I definitely needed to upgrade the old Jindy trout solution.

After much research we ended up importing a Loomis Crankbait CBR903 which from a performance perspective is perfect, meets the above specs with a great taper to torque the rod down. Without going into our rig in too much detail we've noticed significant improvements in hook up rates by getting the set-up right and the right rod blank is very critical.

But the Loomis was a tad pricey to import and I'm sure there should be a local solution that is more cost effective. At this stage my mate Pete and son Andy are both looking for a more cost effective alternative, so that's why I'm seeking the info - a sensibly priced native downrigging rod Wink

Thoughts much appreciated and happy to share our research with those interested Thumbs Up

Cheers

Rob

Tonk Lures
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 11:54am
Just head to the "Native Downrigging Rods" section of your local tackle shop and you'll be overwhelmed with options :) Of course I'm kidding because what you're doing is ground breaking stuff.

My own downrigging (trout) experience is that 'torquing the rod down' is not at all critical. Not certain whether that will translate to natives, but everything I'd read about the importance of getting a serious bend in the rod when the line is in the clip seems to be off the mark. Worked that out with some mates using the bottom tracking downriggers, where the bomb was automatically coming up and down in the water column and sometimes had a loop of slack line between rod tip and clip. Didn't seem to affect the hook up rate at all. I know that's counter-intuative.

Using leadcore line a lot led me to making my own rods, because what was available on the market to suit the purpose just made too many compromises. Got that worked out good and proper these days, but the downside is making the same rod over and over again for all my mates.

Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 11:56am
Originally posted by JKR JKR wrote:

In case it's helpful, blank codes I was thinking about include:
T2FS905T
T2P904
RF2P904
X13-B
MB903-MHX
CB903-Blend

Copy/paste into the search feature here:

Thanks for this info - have built a few rods over the years so this is a good option, will definitely look into those blanks Thumbs Up

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 11:56am
FWIW, I agree with Darby. BassPro is probably the easiest fix for Pete and Andy.
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 12:10pm
Hi JKR, we've found with Natives we need to get a good hook set otherwise you end up with a false release and lost fish - it's a mix between getting the pressure right on the downrigger clip so your not trolling around a fish fingerling without knowing it, but getting enough pressure for a solid hook-up LOL  ..... trout  were a lighter hook set I seem to remember.

We've found that fishing really close to the bomb with an aggressive release from the longer torqued down rod used the drag pressure as a hook set almost immediately, resulting in much better hook up rates.

We watched the performance of a number of different length and taper rods last week and the fly up from the extremely torqued down rod set the hooks off drag pressure, before the rod had fully snapped back upwards - resulted in a significantly higher hook-up rate.

Also needed to move to a different gauge of treble, which also made a significant difference.

It's very different from fishing just drag pressure off the rod tip flat trolling, because you have a 'barrier' being the release clip in the middle and what's happening at the lure end isn't always obvious LOL

Gotta say we're enjoying the challenge and the learning and be great to hear from other's experiences Thumbs Up

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 12:20pm
You're making sense. The most obvious difference (making my experience irrelevant for you) is the very short 'drop back' behind the bomb. I'm fishing lures as far as 40 yards behind the bomb more often than not. You're targeting more 'stay at home' fish, using the bomb as an attractor. Clever stuff Rob.

If I was fishing much deeper than I do, or targeting fish other than trout, I could afford to run a shorter drop back too. I do get fish coming up and looking at the bomb (sometimes repeatedly), because I see them on my sounder, but I've found my catch rate improves significantly when I get the lure way back away from the boat.

Was speaking to a bloke I know who fishes the Snowy lakes a lot, and he was saying that he's started using leadcore off his downrigger to enable him to fish above the timber with some safety (i.e. not losing bombs). Thought that was interesting, but probably irrelevant for you given that I assume you're using bibbed lures that can dig down a bit on their own anyway.

Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 12:34pm
Hi JKR, we downrigged Jindy and Eucumbene for most of the 90's and always fished a long way back off the bomb as you are doing - nothing better than a Magnum dodger followed by a Tassie Devil down deep !!!

We are now at the stage where I've got the bomb completely blinged up with reflective tape - we reckon the natives are definitely coming to the bomb as it's an attractor. In fact we've run parrellel flat lines on the outsides but obviously further back and the catch rates on those lines have gone down proportionally. Are the natives being sucked in close and away from the flatlines ?

Certainly interesting stuff LOL

Cheers

Rob

Tonk Lures
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 3:31pm
I see on the mudhole site they sell seeker blanks i used these blanks in the late 80s /90s as 24kg & 15kg stand up game sticks awesome rods &they make bass tapers i just saw very coolClapClapClapClapClapBig smileBig smileregards bob
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by JKR JKR wrote:

What a great site, keyed 'Downrigging Blanks' into the search field and up popped a pile of options - now to work my way through them and keep looking for what I'm looking for LOL

One option:

Seeker SSH832 Steelhead/Salmon Mooching/Downrigger Rod Blank

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 8:05pm
I cant get off it either theres some nice blanks on there cool site boysClapClapClapClapClapClapgunna be heavy on the pocket too id sayLOLLOLLOLWinkWinkTongueTongueregards bob
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 5:56am
Another blank well worth looking at is the Phenix Crankbait --X12-S-Composite-B rated 8-20 mod-fast
LW 1/4 to 1 once- 7 ft 6 in - blank weight 60 gr , now can be bought here in Auss ,
Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 10:00am
Built a Phenix rod recently and had no idea what to expect in terms of quality. Took a punt really, just to get my hands on one of their blanks, hoping it was going to be OK.

Hard to base an opinion of a manufacturer on just one blank, but I really like it and reckon it's good value for money.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic