LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Putting a bend in lexan bibs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Putting a bend in lexan bibs
    Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 12:32am
I would like to try putting a bend in a couple of my lure bibs to see what effect it will have on the way the lure behaves. Any suggestions on how to accurately go about it? I was thinking of getting a heat gun. Would I be wasting good bibs or have some members had good results with trying this.
Appreciate your help.

Pilly
Timber King Lures View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 6:17am
Depending on what sort of bent and where on the bib is what i found.Some situations its best to use a little heat but dont put too much or the bib will start to bubble.Other situations is Cold forming, hold bib in a vise with wood placed inside jaws so it wont mark it and use pliers,fingers etc to bend.Do a few and you'll get the hang of it.
I have bought myself a heat gun and a small blow torch just for this a few months ago.Heat bib till you think it will start to bend and no more.When you did a few you will get the hang of it.Just remember,NOT too much heat or it will bubble on you.Hope this helps.
nando.
PS.IF YOU USE A BLOW TORCH MAKE SURE YOU WAVE THE FLAME AND NOT LET IT STAY IN ONE SPOT.Experiment on some off cuts first.Once you get the hang of it its quite easy Wink
Timber King Lures View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 6:27am
Forgot to say,i mainly use my blow torch as per above post.
small blow torch $30
refill canister $5
heat gun $70
have fun Wink

nando
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 3:35pm
l was wondering by heating up the bib , what would it do to the strenght of the bib and to get my lure to dive to about 4m what angle should l bend it ?
thanks boys
                  cheers wrapper
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 3:44pm
HI Guys, you should be able to bend your bibs with a good old set of pliers without too much trouble .I've bent thousands of lures this way and the thought of bending them with a torch or heat gun is just not right to me I think you would cause the lexan or poly to go brittle with the heat....WinkWinkWink....Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 4:26pm
here's a suggestion that I used with my boats console screens which have a fairly tight curve.
Wait till the better 1/2 is off with the girls and use the oven.
I was using 6mm polycarbonate and set the oven to 180deg, left it in for about 5 minutes and then started bending with a wooden former and some old terry toweling to protect the hands.
I have also used the same method on PVC sheet and that needs slightly lower temp, so with thin bib material, I would try a couple of offcuts first to get temps and time right.
Bending when the whole object is warm is actually less stressful to the radius than spot heating, or so I was told by the plastic guys who use ovens to make all those lovely brochure stands and stuff.

darbs
TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 7:25pm
Yeah.. my Bro-in-law made wooden and sculpting foam moulds and then placed perspex on the mould and heated them in the oven. As they became soft they sank down into the mould themselves. He use to make body surfing hand fins like this.
darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 8:15pm
Hi all .
I have bent a few lexan bibs over the years and have done it only with a pair of long nosed pliers laid across the bib and gently bend with fingers does not seem to affect the strength.
Regards Darcy. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic