LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SMALL reels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMALL reels
    Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:54am
GOT one of them BAZZ great bass reel i dig trollin &casting small lure on her tooEmbarrassedEmbarrassedBig smileregards bob
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 6:04pm
my smallest is a calcutta 50 xt baitcast reel - i have had for donkeys years - a real little gem 
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 4:28pm
THATS cool john never seen one of them before very niceTongueTongueTongueregards bob
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 1:54pm
Bob you have mentioned small and micro reel

You just need tiny fingers to use it, and small reel mount.

Machined. 

Regards John

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 1:13pm
SWEET paul Big smileBig smileregards bob
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 12:55pm
Pay a thought to shimano bantam 2000ULS they where not as small as a pixy but very close I found the above and a 2 speed beastmaster its larger brother very near new for $85 and $95 respectively at Ned Kelly's bait and tackle in port macquarie 3 weeks later they had 3 generations of cronarchs the dearest was $125 when I get back to port I will check for you BoB
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 10:01am
ANY new micro small reel on the market????????regards bob
gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 7:11pm
Just noticed a Callcutta 50 XT for sale on Gumtree in the Forster area for anyone looking for one.
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:28pm
SWEET bro the patriarchs are asweet reelWinkTongueTongueTongueregards bob
dynamite1 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamite1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 5:25pm
BOB ,banax make a very nice little baitcaster called Syren,I use the Pflueger Patriarch XTLP 10 bearing and 190 grams its very sweet
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 4:40pm
HAD a good look at the quantam EXO bait caster nice reelsWinkWinkWinkBig smileBig smileregards bob
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 8:06pm
SWEET DAVEBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 6:58pm
Bob, the old ULS is an a discontinued shimmano. Low profile, and 6:1 when nearly all baitcasters were 4.8.1 at best. Great little reel in its day, used mine for spinning bonito and frigates land based. Caught a lot of fish on it, and it never let me down.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 4:38pm
ULS what brand is that pauly//////???regards bobBig smileBig smile
BigPauly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPauly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 4:07pm
You cant beat the old ULS 2000. They might be old but they are still better than most new ones.

Cheers Pauly
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 2:54pm
Nice , I still like my ABU,S.
peter
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 1:37pm
WHILE i was at the dam with lofty he had some very nice small LEWs reels in threadline &baitcast sweet little reels indeedBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 7:56am
I have both Calcutta XT 50 and a Daiwa 103 CVZ (Japanese spec) reels. They both work well as light weight baitcasting reels. You can go smaller again, as demonstrated by the Shimano Club Demi reel picture below alongside the Daiwa but that is unnecessary. God only knows what and how small the fish were that the Japanese went after with the Demi. They must have been tiny. One issue to keep in mind with the Shimano XTs is that they have a perforated side plate, as shown below. They do not like saltwater getting inside via those holes and for that reason I restrict the use of mine to the freshwater. Choosing a reel is in some ways easier that choosing a complementary rod. Small lures and soft plastics have become the domain of the light weight spinning outfits and for the most part the makers of baitcasting rods have left them to it. My rod is an older Loomis made on what I think is a fly rod blank (or part of one) and it works quite well. Regards, Ken.

bikerooter View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 11:38pm
The new diawas are pretty nice with their level wind disengagement but i would back my 17 year old calcutta XT 50 to out cast it with small lures. My mate in Townsville seems to find them overseas and we nearly all have an XT or the straight 50. I did have an old 10X SG..it was as small as the XT but weighed more than the claimed 185 grams of the 50. Good luck..buy what you can afford.

sra
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 3:57pm
KEN i have"nt purchest a reel as yet mate too many bills so ill hang off for a while i thinkWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
PERRIN80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PERRIN80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 8:11am
What did you end up with Bassnbob ?   reading the above reply's there is a mixed response on brands ... i personally have four top end bait casters from ABU , MEGA BASS & DAIWA but the steez is the most refined reel i own & it sits low on the rod.
Though as lefty said there not exactly cheap.
zeno5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeno5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 1:30pm
I see your point, its not a big fish reel.. For barra etc l use chronarchs or curados.. But it is fun on the sooties
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by zeno5 zeno5 wrote:

Horses for courses l guess.. My MGX has handled every thing thrown at it inclüdíng dozens of 45cm plus sooties... Im happy with it
Mine dosnt like big barra, infact, not even medium ,(80,s) barras.

Infact, it dosnt even like some big cod lures......

Almost brand new, feels great untill its under load, casts nice, feather light, just ok when under load, compared to my millionaire Z,s, Calctta TE,s, Zillions, J Dream, REVO, Curado,s and old Cronarch.
zeno5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeno5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 9:46pm
Horses for courses l guess.. My MGX has handled every thing thrown at it inclüdíng dozens of 45cm plus sooties... Im happy with it
Lefty View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 9:38pm
If your only going freshwater the diawa steez is compact and 148 grams its very light. But has a big price tag.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 9:16pm
WILL be lookin hard at the daiwa range iam thinkingWinkWinkBig smileBig smileregards bob
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 8:18pm
Hey Bob,
The Daiwa Pixy's are basically the same size as a a Daiwa Alphas both really small and smaller than the Shimmy's (but I never compared its size to a Calcutta 50), with the Shimmy's the 50 size Core, Curado, Chronarch and Scorpion 1000xt are the same size and all really nice and I find them more comfortable than the Calcutta 50 only because the Calcutta sits a bit higher. To put them in order as the best casters of light lures in standard form I'd go Pixy, Alphas, Core, (Curado - Chronarch - Scorpion 1000xt these 3 are the same) then the calcutta. The Pixy is fresh only and the others can be used in the salt.

Another one to put in your hand is an Abu Garcia LTZ it comes with 2 spools and I think the shallow spool would be dynamite for light lures.

If you plan on going second hand, any of these reels can be found for about $160 and a micro cast or shallow spool will allow you to cast super light lures a very long way (except the LTZ they're pricey but it has one anyway) checkout http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/ I have an Avail spool for my Scorpion 1000xt and my Citica 200e, I reckon the pixy with this shallow spool would be hard to beat. http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1595

Small Scale Lure Creations; Lure making on hold ATM.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 7:43pm
Ive got an MGX, not really a fan of it, infact, i hardly use it.....the only thing going for it is its light weight, its gutless....
zeno5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeno5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 7:23pm
The ABU Revo MGX is brilliant.. Amazingly light at 154 grams but is quite expensive
gottsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gottsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 7:19pm
How about the old Shimano BSS 2000 ULS?

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 6:33pm
I think shimano curado comes in a small extra lite one also so these some on the market thenBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 6:03pm
Lews Crappie Reel is the smallest baitcaser I have, even smaller than the smallest ABU or even the olf Shimano 50's......its a crap pie reel though, no spool disengage bar, bangs your knuckles as it spins on the cast, no real drag to speak of, does have a clicker and weighs SFA.......

But I think your thumb is wider than the spool BOB LOL
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 5:59pm
YEP iam off to the tackle shop WinkWinkBig smileBig smileregards bob
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 5:41pm
Bob, the pixy is pretty small, saw papa smurf casting one, and it looked small even in his little blue hands.
They weigh 160gms, compared to a zillion at 235gms, a curado is about 200ish grams.
they are a pretty nice bit of gear. They also have a new one, not called a pixy, think its a T series or something which looks like an udated pixy.
redfish11 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 5:40pm
And if you ever come across a Shimano CT50 XT for sale, grab it with both hands!
It is one baitcaster reel capable of throwing ultra light lures.

Allan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic