LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Timbers for lure making
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Huon Pine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Huon Pine
    Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 6:30pm
Huon Pine

Scientific Name:  Lagarostrobos franklinii

Distribution: Australia

Average Dried Weight: 35 lbs/ft3 (560 kg/m3)

Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .47, .56

Colour/Appearance: Varies from light yellow to golden.

Grain/Texture: Grain is straight or sometimes wavy. Texture is fine and uniform. Moderate natural lustre.

Workability: Generally easy to work with both hand and machine tools, though wood with wavy or knotty grain can be slightly problematic. Glues, finishes, and turns well.

Odour: Has a unique resinous odour when being worked.

Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, has been reported to cause nose, eye and throat irritation.

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:13pm
I am looking for some first hand info on using huon pine for lures. Is it mainly used for nudes, or does anyone use regularly?

I got sent a big block of it directly from Tassie, sealed with wax. I tried cutting and shaping it today and it was quite green and furry to work. Also heavier than most timbers I use. I am thinking I need to remove the wax and dry it out? Any tips on using huon pine appreciated. Thanks

Matt
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 12:33am
Matt, I've had no problems using Huon. Good luck on trying to dry it out as I've found that even well seasoned Huon is still quite waxy! It still works OK as long as you seal it well. All Hueys lures are made from Huon and they seem to hold up OK...
Fysshe
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 12:25pm
Thank Ian, Waxy is a good way to describe it, it certainly clogs up sandpaper quick. 

I kept sanding today, and finally got it smooth, and the grain is quite stunning up close. Very fine grain.

But I won't be doing another one in a hurry, as it took close to two hours to sand to a standard that would take 10 minutes on other timbers. 

I am going to remove the wax on some of the block and try to dry it out for a while. 

Cheers,

Matt
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 12:56pm
might be a good idea Matt,Ive never had a problem with the Huon being furry like that.the only preal problem ive struck with the stuff ive got is that it is sometimes not very bouyant
that's no how ye make porridge!
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 4:20pm
Thanks Chris, yes it is a bit heavy. Its nice to try out different timbers, still learning as I go. 

Cheers,

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic