LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rublex Blue Flopy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rublex Blue Flopy
    Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 1:49pm
I have just acquired a small blue flopy, as far as I know they only made large ones with Stainless hooks, I've looked through the Rublex catalogue I have and can't find it.
Question I have were they ever released in Australia or were they only in Europe and were many made.
I am a collector of the flopy and have never come across small or medium blue
Can anyone help with a bit of background
Currently my collection consists of about 60 flopy's.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 1:55pm
GRUMPY 57 ihad a few floppys years ago &have only seen the biggerones in the blue they are a bit rare i think never seen the medium size in the blue & only one small hope this helpsTongueTongueTongueregards bob
grumpy57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 2:06pm
Thanks Bob,
The one I have is the rubber one, I the hard body brought some out, don't think there were many made in small rubber, I think I got lucky getting this one and it's in brand new condition with box and papers
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 2:31pm
IN the box a great score & worth a few bucks too great lures to have i think there coolWinkTongueTongueTongueregards bob
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 3:11pm
Got a couple of these French rubbers in the collection...Wink

Plus a few spickys, pluckys and several large viviffs.
Also have the large blue in sealed cellophane packaging.

My enquiries some years back indicated the common production run was the green, orange and yellow in small/medium/large on the stands as below.

The molding dies began to wear out about the same time, the rublex mob sent down under to Australia, the large blue but for some reason, withheld the medium and the small for the European market.

I think it was not long after, they ceased using rubber and went over to hard body plastic but the local market rejected them.

Some school of thought is the hard body ones are the more collectible owing to low production years butConfusedConfused

Love to see a pic of the 2 blues together...

wadey Big smile
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 4:15pm
I don't own these but thought the pic might be of interest, the lures are in NQ.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 4:38pm
SWEET WinkWinkWinkClapClapClapClapregards bob
grumpy57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 4:44pm
Would love them in my collection, but would be high price,
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 5:20pm
I had a small blue years ago - but it had fully  deteriorated into a mess of blue rubber an a hard bib.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 6:45pm
Can we have a pic please of the small blue?
I got large blue ones and one or two flopys and other models....I was dealing with a french guy for couple of years...sourcing me flopys......ive never seen or heard of small or medium blue....there is a outside the standard, a passionfruit, some with a blue hue to them, but not silver and blue with silver hooks.....keen to see a photo if possible very interested to confirm.......
cheers Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 7:00pm
Maybe in a week or two Jas, their current owner is out of town.
grumpy57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 7:28pm
I have taken pictures but can't work out how to post it
grumpy57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 7:52pm
If you look at the photos of the four above you will see the code BV on the paperwork
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:09pm
pics still not working grumpy...keep trying :)

the BV on paperwork is more interesting... as the blue flopys we got here and on pacific islands were later on...no paperwork just came in a carded bubblewrap'

the older ones came in the original old box....with paperwork...but no colour ID...just the standard info...all others I have in boxes with papers are stamped colour code.

the different color with a blue hue that I was told was called passionfruit...is more green/orange/yellow all combined...sorry but pic makes this look standard green...bad light for it....but obvious difference in daylight with a tinge of blue.

often flopys are different colours...or variations of the same colours,
these 2 orange for example....same color code just different....apparently flopys were hand sprayed, so depending on how the painter was feeling etc, depended on the outcome....late Friday arvo probably was a bit rushed.

below a rare surface flopy with its medium size mate.

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by micknq micknq wrote:

I don't own these but thought the pic might be of interest, the lures are in NQ.

good to see those mick...the bottom right is an example of colour variation....the BV on the paperwork is great....not many of those around in small medium...shame they are deteriorating...bugga.....now I have to search harder!

grumpy57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:26pm
Love the pictures, the small blue I have has no colour code, as far as I know when they put them in blister packs was not long before they stopped making them and around the time Mitchell took over.
I personally didn't take to the hard body,the action didn't seem the same.I've used flopy's since I was a kid in the late sixties and always caught plenty of trout with the orange and did better with the yellow.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:32pm
Yep the blister packs came late, ive got them jn rublex and mitchell blister packs...
hope you work out how to post pics.....look forward to seeing them.
well done on the small blue, I looked for years but allways got told they did not get made, never seen pics either before tonite....cheers
Jas

micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:33pm
Hopefully I will be able to get up close and personal with these blue Flopys and their other coloured mates in the next couple of weeks and I can take some good pics to post up.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:40pm
Thanks mick.....good to see..cheers

micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:41pm
Just revisited the uncropped pic and that appears to be a large at the top, so are the others the medium and small ?
grumpy57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:42pm
Yes you got it right
NQ FISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NQ FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 10:28pm
The surface lure would have been an absolute killer on Bass.
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 12:01am
Gee they're early. First tow clip and you can still read "FLOPY" in the rubber.

Wonder why they never brought this out to Australia?

Cheers, Jim
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:31am
Thanks mick....the top pic large is a good example of the color variations...the true blues were blue and silver only...the one in your pic shows the blend of standard colours with the blue...ive seen these in all sizes ....but the blue silver only in large size....so that pic is interesting...some close up pics would be good in natural light.
Cheers its interesting.
Jas

grumpy57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 3:39pm
The tow clip on the flopy worked very well on these, have tried replacing with different types but it changes the way the flopy swims, even tried a swivel but that made it loose it's action.
I still think the flopy is the best freshwater lure and surprised nobody has developed a new manufacturing process and market them again. That's the original rubber style. It would be interesting to see the process required to make them
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 5:58pm
The first tow clip is perfectly balanced. Often wondered if the lopsided later one worked quite as well.

They both look extremely flimsy but pulled in a lot of 50lb murray cod.

The large blue sold in Australia was meant for saltwater with its silver hooks. Also a heavier duty clip.

To cope with barramundi? Nobody would have used blue in fresh water to chase murray cod LOL

Cheers, Jim
trevron1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 6:50am
I remember selling the blue Flopys in Mossops many years ago. Flopys were probably at the peak of their popularity at the time, late 70's to mid 80's We used to order them in by the gross (12 dozen or 144 in old time talk) The blue was marketed as a Saltwater Flopy, with stainless hooks, possibly made only for Australia. Never really popular, the freshwater one far outsold it.
Trev
Trev
stinger View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 2:12pm
very interesting that surface 1 is it the real thing ,,,,,,
REMEMBER FOOLS RUSH IN WERE ANGELES FEAR TO TREAD
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by stinger stinger wrote:

very interesting that surface 1 is it the real thing ,,,,,,

Looks like Nicho's dots !! 
stinger View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 3:06pm
mmmmmmmmmmmm screw in eyelets ,,,,,,maurie mars eyes,,,,,
REMEMBER FOOLS RUSH IN WERE ANGELES FEAR TO TREAD
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 3:19pm
Guilty :)

Tbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 3:42pm
How can anyone still have original Floppys in boxes, they were too good of a fish catching lure LOL

The few I have are all battle scarred warriorsWink

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 5:20pm
My remaining blue Flopy with freshwater hooks not stainless steel. The other Flopy was my mother's uncles lure. He had a pro fishing reach at Walker Flat S.A. on the Murray. Check out the line burn across the back. Too bad they are deteriorating and quickly as well. I have them kept in their boxes and out of most light.

Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 5:50pm
cool line burns! shame they are deteriorating...will happen to all over time if not stored in cool dark place...good to just hang up and think of how the line burns got there...uncle could tell a few storys about it im sure.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 6:07pm
Uncle Den was right on the river, and his part time job was manning the ferry at night - you guessed it - not much going on so some rods out of the window LOL
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic