LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishing Report Eucumbene this Weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing Report Eucumbene this Weekend
    Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:40pm
Last 14 -16 days water has dropped around 7-8 foot in dam.

Fishing has been very tough for everyone.

Finally a reversal in fortunes, through share persistence, I was the only one fishing in Yen's Bay Friday night and picked up a 57.5cm brown buck  Netted ,and tippet parted company with fly, very very luck for me.

Convinced a retired local to join me  Saturday night left by 6.50 pm Had one 6 inch rat (small trout) released and one 60.8cm and one just a shade over 59 cm. My new partner did not get a bump.

That is fishing

Regards John

Friday nights effort 57.5cm

Saturday evenings surprise packet, two nice fish both females Yen's bay.

Attacked 4am this morning on a high ,not a bump, no  fish movement, calm weather and not too cold.

That is fishing.

Sunday evening to go. Wind south easterly not a good sign for this evenings efforts. Gloves will be required.

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:28pm
Nice stuff John.Fortune favours the COLD
The Journey is the Reward

Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:48pm
Nice fish,John.
Is it too early for the river?
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:55pm
Nice fish JohnClap.                       Are you in that shop / servo on the right as you head into town from Jindy?
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 8:11pm
Well done John!
cheers steiny
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 12:43am
That is some great and healthy looking Trouts John. Looks like you finally have found the way at Eucumbene. Congrats on that mate Thumbs Up 
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 11:31am
Martin Yen's Bay is to the left of old Adaminaby , Lake Eucumbene.

Lost a nice fish last night it thrashed around before heading into shore, just could not strip fast enough and lost tension on the hook. My mate from Saturday night landed a very nice Rainbow after 10-12 minute tussle, and missed another one.

We have not seen the rainbow in the Bay for at least 3 weeks

A lot of shrimp in the shallows swimming about.

Only 3 4 degrees last night gloves not required

Regards John

jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 12:42am
Well done mate you seem to be kicking butt
THE CODFATHER
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 8:33am
Living the dream john...too cold for thongs?
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 12:25pm
cant wear thongs at Eucumbeme Jas the wombats steal em .
John what fly's have you been using?,ive fished Yens bay but not with fly's some good water around there,good fish mate keep putting up the pics
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 10:15pm
I will put a photo up Chris it is worth looking at 

Missing both eyes now rear end feather destroyed, thread coming adrift  Little of the fly left, but still fighting the good fight

Battled a nice fish this evening on it fought well then  had the urge to race into shore and regrettably could not strip fast enough and lost it. Pricked another one but very short fight with it.

Ready for an early attacking in the morning before our -4 weather approaches and perhaps our first snow

regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 4:06pm
Monday night's effort on the very damaged fly.

Chris ,Lost two last night on same worn out fly, photo follows.

Found something similar in Jindabyne yesterday thought I would use Black texta if necessary and change colour.
I think i found size 10's  and the one I am using is an 8

Two tiny black bead eyes now gone, small chenille black body very sparse,cotton dressing hanging under body, black feather barely holding together but the trout seem to like it

Line poking out near head that was used to secure eyes .

Regards  John

61-3cm on Monday night my largest since arriving here.

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 5:52pm
Nice John - left for Adelaide @ 10.30 today,so didn't have much time to waste- In Nerrandera now- Glad I didn't come up your way with snow likely- I reckoned if I did I would still be in Tumut.
Pete

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 6:51pm
Shame you dont have more off that fly John. Seems to be a Winner. Some very nice Trouts you get.. In the late 80´ties i made these two models a bit similar to yours, and caught a lot off Sea-Trouts in my favorit Fjord in the fall and if no ice a bit in to the Winter. Started at night when the light faded,and some ouers. The Fly had to be stripped very slow
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 11:21pm
p.j. It seems the shorter the rear end, the better the hook up, only  used and caught in the dark.

Everybody pulled the pin early this evening with zero results.

I lasted till 9.30 and picked up 2 Rainbow the regulars will get a surprise tomorrow when report tabled.

This retirement lark is not too bad.  Adapting well.

Regards  John
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 11:35pm
Well done John,glad to see someone is catching fish
THE CODFATHER
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 6:03pm
Bloody old codgers, catching ALL the fish in retirement before I can become an old enough codger to retire and catch all of the fishCryWink
Martin-

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 6:34pm
Good to hear you are having a good time John. Now regreds moving to Eucumbene i can feel Smile Keep posting those great reports mate Thumbs Up
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 9:23am
Everybody (4 different groups) pulled the pin very early last night, around Yen’s Bay Lake Eucumbene
Winds around 35 klms into your back,fly casting a little difficult, white waves out front. Sleet commencing to fall with light rain hitting the back of the water- proofs and waders.  (Gloves on, two pairs with fingers exposed.
First lot of snow recorded on the higher peaks for this year

Rewarded with a nice condition 48cm rainbow,( caught on the black distressed worn out black mud-eye fly) had just placed trout into boot and it  commenced to pelt down. Had to pull the pin

Fired up to go back at 4am  Checked my  weather station readings before dressing.

Gust of  64-68 klm winds blowing at the house,South- easterlies  trip cancelled .

Working on gear for this evenings attack, hopefully the weather will have quieten down a bit.

Some photos to come

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:28pm
Yes I know what you mean about it getting cold, I had 14 degrees going to work one morning last weekWink and this morning was a cool 20 degrees going to workLOL.

You must be bloody keen, but with trout like thatClap..... I reckon I could cheer you one from the warmth of the carBig smile
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 10:52am
Tough fishing  conditions continued up here last night. Two locals were out and about , checking out if anybody was fishing.
Light rain ,turning into misty sleet most of the time.
I had tried spinning for 40 odd minutes wind was used to get some long cast in.No enquiry.

Tried flyfishing with wind in back I am a right hander ,I managed but a left hander who stayed had to resort to float and fly.

We were extremely well rugged up long johns, heavy trousers and waders, singlet, long sleeve top, warm shirt, jumper, half coat, full light weight Katmandu ski jacket and half size quality weather roof jacket, two pairs of gloves.

Comfortable ,warm,  three head tops, over and around  head light

Just before we decided to pull the pin had  a bump and  I nailed a 42.6cm Rainbow tried  for a further 20 minutes but no luck.

I had made an early appearance by my self just after four am,yesterday morning  in slightly stronger breezes/winds with plenty of white water but not at touch. Gave it a good 2 and half hours.No enquiry at all. Only have to travel  7 klms.

Thirty nine trout on the fly since 22-02-2015 and two weeks we caught nothing, they must have gone on holidays.

If you put in the hard yards you can get the results.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 7:05pm
You're a die hard John, that's why you get resultsThumbs Up
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 11:51am
Braved the elements last night, although the weather slightly better and a tad more comfortable, but not an enquiry.

Well there is tonight to look forward too.

Regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 1:22pm
keep the reports coming mate,i'll have a dig around later and see if I can find your mudeye fly pattern on the net somewhere,i'd be keen to tie you some.good luck for tonite
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 1:47pm
hows this one?,its used at Eucumbeme a fair bit so I thought it could it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXvRNo0rz2E
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 3:52pm
Thanks  Chris
Interesting  U tube Placed it in my Favourites.

I reckon I used the shorten version ,just several black breast duck feathers over rear of hook, tied to several wrappings of say black chenille slightly teased. with Black beads used for eyes for lightness

A brown belted the day lights out of it as soon as it started to drift down to the bottom after landing on the water.

Fishing it relative shallow water ranging from 6 -4 feet

Regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 6:53pm
i'll tie you a few up in the next couple of days mate
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 9:07pm
Thanks Chris
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 11:45am
Flies arrived in mail this morning Thanks Chris

Will be exercised this evening.

Six days now, afternoon and evening  averaging 3-5 hours each evening and not one enquiry.

Two locals also making appearance on 4 evenings with local knowledge and experience ZERO results from all fishing

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:15pm
Eight days not a fish or a bite, fishing  every  evening starting around 4pm.

Today 75 klm winds recorded on our  house weather station, consistently 40-60klms this arvo

Some rain ,cold, four coats on three wind cheaters and rain coat, very comfortable and warm.

Very first cast on the Snowy minnow in very rough waters a very good conditioned Brown trout 47cm
which jumped about and performed with a lot of vigor.

Did not take the landing  net so exercised care and enjoyed every moment.

Rain ended the session and would have not been practical to use the fly with the strong winds although 
plenty of cloud cover to hide the moon.

Now keen to tackle them at 4 am if this wind dies out.

Not another soul about had the whole area to myself

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 9:09am
Two locals pulled the pin early last night  wind blowing around 30 /35 knots into our back then turned southerly just on dusk ,. Caught a 53cm  ((2. 2kilos)) excellent condition brown, just as they were leaving in  their cars on the local Snowy minnow lure.

A compact lure, and heavy to handle the windy conditions..

Had just moved and cast in the spot where one of them was fishing , 15 minutes earlier.

Nailed a 51 cm buck the previous evening in the  same area on the fly , but conditions at the time does not always suit everybody.  I was the sole fisherman.

Will place some photos up this evening.

Very heavy frost this morning  -6 overnight
Regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:27pm
you are certainly keen mate
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:47pm
You need to hang on tight John with those winds blowing,there isn't much of you mateWink
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:44pm
A great thread this John, love reading of your dedication. Can you also post up photos of that Snowy minnow lure too thanksThumbs Up
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 9:20pm
Martin  a close up of the Snowy minnow.

I understand it has been around for 30 odd years  i believe a mixture of metals ,heavy enough to punch into the wind and light enough to keep in the top part of the water column in the evenings.

A well condition brown 53cm long and 2.2 kgs a little horse caught on the minnow last night just before dark 5.35pm

Regards John

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
  Share Topic