LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishing Report Eucumbene this Weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 29>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 8:46pm
Yes Per 
Our Fisheries Dept need to get there thinking caps on, we desperately  need some big changes to occur.

50 odd Pelicans three seasons ago parked at the mouth of our main spawning river for a good two months or so  certainly did not help.

Regards John
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Our Fisheries Dept need to get there thinking caps on, we desperately  need some big changes to occur.

They need to consider changes (even if temporary) that might not make anglers (and industry) too happy.

I've been releasing all rainbows caught for some time now. I reckon this should be mandated, including for all fishing comps, and the impacts measured after three years.

It won't be popular for anglers who like their fish in a barrel, but I'd close the spawn run for three years and measure the impact on browns in three years.

Possession limits are commonly exceeded by anglers. People think they're basically in the clear if they don't exceed daily bag limits, because Fisheries don't enforce possession limits. I'm not suggesting they should start randomly raiding caravans, rental properties, and local anglers' homes, but Fisheries and industry stakeholders could do worse than implementing an education campaign about possession limits.

The extraction of rainbows from the wild spawn run, to breed up in the hatchery, has its detractors. People think intuitively that they (Fisheries, the hatchery) should produce more fish because catch rates are down. However, it may be that increasing the harvest from the wild spawn run is driving down catch rates regardless of the number of hatchery-bred fish that are released. It stands to reason that there is a careful balance required, and also that hatchery-bred fish may be less resilient (i.e. low survival rate than wild bred fish).
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 10:14pm
You are right on the money John.

These are poor conditioned fish released all caught on the same lure, , but on different days.

Fished in dirty rough water.

Many hours for small rewards, but I suppose that is what retirement is for,

Two different parties fishing in the area for 2 and three week periods. 

Left last couple of days.

Accommodation ranging from $80-00 to $120 per night per group

First party two fish not sure what sort of effort they put in. $120 per night. Two week stay.

The other two spent about 16 days full on fishing out of three weeks  spinning and fly fishing ,had the use of a boat to reposition  themselves and then continued fly or spinning.

I fished with them a number of times.

They reckon they got 68 kept 5 or  so around the 40 cm mark released the rest 3/4 caught at Tantangara travelled daily did not camp stayed till 11pm one night, did put in a solid effort had 25 years experience  in the area, neither  are keen on trolling.

Numbers/campers have dropped off dramatically probably due to word of mouths experiences by different fishing parties.

Regards John

just over 30 cm in better nick, rainbow, released

Couta head on trout 51cm

Same fish the foam distorted the shape.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:43am
In recent posts I have alluded to whispers of some trout meetings expected to occur in the state of NSW.  

(I thought they were due to start late Jan/early Feb.)

Last night I received some writings on the matter.

This morning I found a link on the DPI NSW site confirming up- coming Meetings.

Some of you might be interested in attending in your local areas.

Paper referred to     ""Trout Strategy Workshops Agenda ""

To be held in May  2018.

Times:    Start at 3.45pm and conclude 8pm

Main areas Armidale, Bathurst, Jindabyne.

Regards John

JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:12am
Thanks John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:44am
Fished with a Mexican (border hopper) comes up from Vic and normally stays for 4-5 weeks twice a year. 

Retired and enjoys his spinning and fly fishing.

This season is about the worst he has come across.

We tackled Tantangara last night ,waited for it to quieten down after the Easter break,
fished hard till dark
The Mexican nailed a nice trout on the side fin on a wonder wobbler, the metal lure had the right action
on the day.

Clipped used as a lot of lure changing to get something to happen.

I tried the dry fly had no success with the lures had two enquiries in the wind on the fly , by the time I struck they were long gone.

Zero for me.

Portal feeling the full effects of the lake falling.

Entrance to river is at the bottom of road. A mere trickle flowing from the portal to the river at the moment.

For those that venture up in May  good mud boots required .

Three Pelicans have arrived so far.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:18am
Finally a bit of really rough weather up here.

Found 9 and 8 trout on two separate days in a very tight area, tossing 2.6 to 2.8 gram lures in very shallow water and extremely strong winds.

Waded up to my knees in the white water waves, lost a few bringing them in over the shallow  weed beds, gave up after a few losses and returned to vehicle for a short handled net to assist capture.
Kept two.

Nobody else wanted to put up with the conditions, with the visitors electing to fish with the wind in their backs, in clearer water, but  still cold, and no fish.

Full of yabbies

Non spawner but in great nick 48 cm

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:47am
good to see you getting a few John ,Eucumbeme looks pretty rough in that first pic.Do you recon that gets them feeding?,i guess it makes sense as aquatic life gets displaced in conditions like that
that's no how ye make porridge!
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 11:07am
You are amazing John 

"To boldly go where no man has gone before"                                                                                                                         

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 3:43pm
Great to see you getting some Trouts again John
We also need a bit wave action here in our Fjords fore the best Trout fishing. But not that much i must admit

Knaek & Break
            Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:48am

Back to normal yesterday arvo out for 3 1/2 hours.

Not a sign of a fish. 

Bright  calm and very light  breezes on the points.

Lake still falling rapidly

BOM advises 30.6  for Eucumbene as at 16 April.

Fly fishing has been so poor at least at our end of the Lake very few fishermen trying it at the moment.

We had three /four trying the fly over 3/4 days  and not so much as one enquiry, one fly fishing through to 1 am.

Just a further note on the area at the moment the cement ramp is out of the water at  Old  Adaminaby

The local fishing Club has $11000  odd to add an extension. if the lake continues to fall.

Anglers Reach on the stones appears to be a better area to lodge a boat at the moment.

If having a trip and bringing a boat have a mate available to pull you out if we happen to get any rain ,a lot of the edges are muddy sink holes. (bottomless)

Rain alters the travel arrangements around the lake very very quickly,

Several visitors parked to close to the edge  on a slope and had to get a tow..

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 11:12pm
Just an up date on Tantangara.
Portal flow halted at the moment.
Road corrugation has appeared on the  corners after an increase  in traffic on the road.

Once again some small pot holes have started to appear.
Does not hamper travel at the moment , just a reduction in speed  is required if you are towing anything.

Fishing well in the evening , at the moment,we seem to do better if there is a ripple on the water.

Fish becoming active after the sun has set behind the hills. we are getting an hour 40 minutes before dark before they seem to close down.

A couple of nice browns the largest 48cm
Four released,  caught by a visitor from Canberra, he camped overnight.

I raised three and released two
Still well worth a visit.
40 minutes from Adaminaby if you miss the horses, deer, eastern greys wombats, rabbits, goat ( one tethered along the road ) and wallabies.

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 11:18am
Looking forward to fish Tantangara again John and Also Cramps Bay.
Should have 4x4 by then, the pot holes won't be a problem but those rabbits better watch out.
Those trout caught on fly?

Cheers,
MD
Life is fishing!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 1:05pm
better watch for those mobile speed bumps up there Dave(wombats),hit one at speed and it'll tear your front end out even with a fourbyLOLWink
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

better watch for those mobile speed bumps up there Dave(wombats),hit one at speed and it'll tear your front end out even with a fourbyLOLWink

Better get one with a bull bar Chris Wink
Life is fishing!
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:00am
Good to see a couple of good trout again John
Sounds like you Australian needs a tank to drive around in, with all the "car killing" game running around the roads

Knaek & Break
       Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 11:52am
Originally posted by p.j. p.j. wrote:

Good to see a couple of good trout again John
Sounds like you Australian needs a tank to drive around in, with all the "car killing" game running around the roads

Knaek & Break
       Per
the wombats truly are that bad Per,especially where John fishes!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 12:41pm
Been plenty of trucks having their front ends re-arranged by those wombats-like hitting a mobile rock
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:45pm
I will take a picture tomorrow of part of the side of a car and a dead wombat just collected 400 yards from the local Post Office lying in a drain beside the road..

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:44am
They scurry out so quickly sometimes, and at the last second. My mate had the front end of his new SUV removed on our way back from St George's Basin last year. Don't forget to check the pouch on the poor old things.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 7:03am
Local council rep must have removed items.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:25pm
Well I had the pleasure of meeting with John on my tripping around. A change of plans saw me hunting him down and we met again at Tantangara. I stayed there for a couple of nights enjoying the 4 degree nights and sub 20 degree days. I also enjoyed the one trout, a nice little 27 cm brown trout. Hey John, I met “Rooster “- Joey, had a couple of drinks with him and watched his mate pull in 3 browns from 27 to 35 cm in using Powerbait. Not much else was happening. A couple of graders came to clear a track wherever the tunnel is going in to connect Tantangara to Talbingo.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:38pm
Back from Eucumbene this arvo zero results 
Surprised by visit from Martin Wednesday fished at Tantangara that evening
with Martin one small rainbow caught and released.

Tracked down Martin,s vehicle but no Martin ,he is as tall as some of our trees, not easy to miss.

He was lucky enough to get a trip on a neighbours boat who was camping near by after only arriving at the lake approx an hour earlier.

Lucky devil.

Cool tonight also expected to hit one.

The car was absolutely chock a block full with equipment.

I meant  to add Martin did not have any service with his Optus phone in the area, so annoying could not receive or send  calls or messages.

Regards John

rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 10:25pm
Still needs a B... haircut.LOLLOL Richard
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by rally44 rally44 wrote:

Still needs a B... haircut.LOLLOL Richard
    HA HA Ha - NAH
Martin-

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 7:53pm
Martin you still look the same old bloke even with that hair.LOL
Did you go to cramps bay? 
Good to hear you are having fun on your trip and be great to catch up at the Lure ExpoThumbs Up

Cheers,
MD
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 10:27pm
I amped on that first big peninsula across the dam from the boat ramp
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:24pm
Went for a walk towards the end of the Lake at The Portal.

A month or so ago posted photos from the  edge of the Portal outlet.

Water down around a KLM and a 1/4 at the moment.
A further 4 foot drop should bring it close to the low point last year.

Regards John

Looking back at the accommodation about half way down.

Bottom end of lake now started to get a bit muddy to continue.

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:27am
Looks lower than last year?

cheers
MD
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:25pm
Went up to the top end of Tantangara  with a visitor to the area yesterday.
had not seen where the Murrumbidgee entered Tantangara previously.

River to far away as all the  side tracks closed by the Parks rangers.
With water up around 21.5 % the reservoir has spread its self about.

The round trip through the Port Philip shows road closed at both entrances photo shows the amount of water still over the road preventing access.

Not a fish sighted this trip.

Regards  John

Boat launched other side.

The river should be at the bottom of these two small hills, still very wide I could not cast across to the other side.

To walk around the bay looked a good 3 klms and still unknown how far round the corner where the river narrowed into the reservoir.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 3:17pm
Received our first dusting of snow this morning.
Plenty on the surrounding hills.
Rather cold. winds to 30 klms  gusts to 40klms this morning whilst fishing at my favourite site.

60 klms gust due this arvo. It appears  only two of us are turning up to do battle this arvo.

One small rainbow caught photographed and released, plenty of dirty water about.

Came across one large yabby having a few words with PJ's lure.

Caught a nice brown last night and handed it to a visitor to take home with him.

Several pairs of gloves required due to wind chill factor.

Regards John

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 5:30pm
BRRRRRRRRR John sounds a bit cold fore a swim with that wind.
We finally got some good weather here up to +23C.
Yabby taken off the bucket list aswell
Seems like my lures catch it all
And a Brown to top it all

Knaek & Break
        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:00pm
Love the yabby and still in shortsLOL

Cheers,
Mad Dog
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:08pm
The snow continued to fall on the surrounding hills around the lake all afternoon.
persuaded two visitors to leave their fires and do battle before the strong winds arrived.

We fished  hard in the cold, I wore three pairs of gloves wind chill factor high, chest waders afforded me some comfort.

Two rainbows off to Canberra caught by me chock a  block full of small yabbies.

One nice brown landed by the other visitor, thankful that he made the effort as had drawn a blank under his own efforts.

We had very light sleet falling intermittently which should fall as snow this evening.
The very strong winds had not arrived before i left, a further bonus.

Regards John

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 12:00pm
our screamingRagnareel is backWink.good to see you getting a few John and thankyou for the king Billy I will make you a few lures from itThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 29>
  Share Topic