LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishing Report Eucumbene this Weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 5:48pm
That brown looks to be in much better condition than the previous run of slabby browns.

Is it a spawner, or as fat as it looks?

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 7:52pm
Hi Chris

Thanks to Martins efforts and Hazmail (Pete) to store, everything worked out well.

JKR  I was was not close when it was cleaned but will make an enquiry tomorrow, much better nick though than what we have seen for a long time.

Tried to rally  the troops today, but no takers.

I was the only one on the Lake in our area, gave it a good shot, but never saw a fish or have an enquiry.

Regards John

Just light drizzle, not as cold as yesterday but around 5c to 3c

Part of our food problem can be seen in this picture , dirt,and  stones, no grass or  trees any where near the water.

In the evening no insects also no bats. 

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 9:01pm
that is a nice chunky brown John. Next year I ink I'll leave my trip south a little later, and maybe combine it with the Lure Expo if it is in June again. I'll just have to remember to pack more of the cold weather gear
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:25am
Was able to confirm the brown was a non breeder.

Very good condition compared to what was available previously.

Reports to date are poor for  the number of fish moving up the Eucumbene river to spawn.

Due to poor season less fisherman chasing them.

More showers / heavy rain would be welcome.
-4 to -5 mornings kicking in more regularly. No snow in area yet.

Trout fishing meeting at Jindabyne this arvo/ evening  (3-45 to 8pm) heard yesterday 80 have registered,one  travelling from  Canberra,

I believe Lake Eucumbene is at the level it reached around 6-8 August last year already.

If the water continues to leave till we get some decent rains it will be a very low lake this year.

Scored another rod ,reel, lure lost during last season, exposed as the lake dropped

Regards  John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:26am
Away for four days " trout withdrawals symptoms kicked in"

Rugged up, due to cold spell and snow fell overnight in the surrounding hills higher up.

Worked hard in the conditions, only found one fish, 61 cm ,released, large head lacked condition for this time of the year caught in very dirty water in the  shallows 

just before dark.

Lures were weed prone, but that was were the fish were.

The tougher it is the more enjoyment you get if you find a fish.

regards John

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:51pm
Good to see you back and back into the rough conditions again.Also good to see it snowing down there and you be able to get the ski's on to pick up the mail.LOLWink 

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:24pm
Attended the Trout Strategy meeting on Thursday at Jindabyne and will pop up an article that issued today in the Monaro Post that cover it very well.

Scored some very detailed Fresh water (non tidal Maps on river systems for NSW.

Fish active in the rough weather once again at Lake Eucumbene. 

It seems to me at this early stage due to the lake low water conditions many of the fish are not spawning this year.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:38pm
I hope the writing is large enough.

I am not sure how to make it any larger

Maybe of interest to those who frequent the area
Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:35pm
LOLThe island I refer to when the water is rough and the fish are on the chew feeding on yabbies.

Should not have to wait that  long to walk across to it.

Lower than last year  NOW               May 22  26.5 %

Regards John

Yens bay and cemetery getting very  very low.

Note the soak, very important for fly fishing when the water rises.

Also know as Mad Dogs corner where he caught a lovely rainbow and had a double cramp seizure eventually in both legs and played in the mud until he finally received some relief from the pain.
LOLLOLLOL

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:25am
I love cramps bay even if I had a episode of the cramps in both legsLOLCensored Censored
Looking forward to my next visit and hopefully catching a nice Rainbow they are the best on light gear.

Cheers,
Mad Dog
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:02pm
That is getting very low John. I may be able to squeeze in a couple more days camping around there again after the lure expo - now to find those thermals in my container Ermm
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:03pm
would I need snow chains in that area or is it only around the ski fields"?
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:28am
Hi Martin
4wd are okay, but chains are required to be carried in cars , vans utes etc in case they are  required to be used at short notice.

Failure to have them with you can incur a fine..

You can hire them from a small number of businesses in the area during our winter months.

Signs are displayed warning you to place your chains on your car due to the type of conditions ahead.

Also signs worn you that the road is closed ahead and sensible drivers make alternative arrangements.
that is return the way they came.
We do have snow trucks on call to help clear roads quickly in some of our bad areas, which help the snow tourist get about early in the morning.

Wind chill factor is the difficult one to deal with.

proper gloves and glove linings ,warms scarves, proper quality wet weather gear guarantees your comfort and could save your life.

Diesel cars and  4 wd need to use   the appropriate diesel sold in the area to avoid your engine freezing up over night

BOM Eucumbene 26/5   25.9%

Bom Tantangara   26/05 21.8 % (slightly higher) Causeway still closed under water

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 10:04pm
Yens Bay today

Have included the traditional scene with the pine trees on the hill on the right hand side of the picture
for  ID / location purposes., as i have done on a lot of my shots of Yens bay.

Just note lack of water.

When the  lake is full the pine trees on the hill become an island.
Lake Eucumbene it is said, when full, is 9 times the size of Sydney Harbour

Where the two cows are on the left is where we fly fished at the end of the melt around Oct 2017

which was  a poor years for water in flow, after winter.

Rainbow , orange fillets caught a couple of days ago in very calm clear conditions worked hard to fine one in the mood to bite.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:07am
First real signs of the weather to come arrived yesterday.

I started around 3 pm, well rugged up, only using thigh waders thought they might handle the mud at the moment.

Only 1 camper present on the lake and they were semi sheltered from the cold and medium winds.

Nobody else out fishing then.

Nailed a nice conditioned brown with 10 just under medium size yabbies in its stomach, another non breeder this year. Conditions seemed to have put off a lot of browns to spawn this year.

Suction on the waders in the mud caused me to fall flat on my knees, challenging to up right myself without getting completely covered in mud.

Will test out a ski pole and see if that does not help me lift the waders up and help release the suction on the waders.

It is only going to get worse.

All my fish caught in very shallow water on the brown dirt line or in the very dirty water, they probably follow the lure in before striking.
Also caught a rainbow.
Regards John

A much better conditioned fish from the norm caught over recent months.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 10:06pm
Very low John, but great looking fish and fillets - makes me hungry.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 8:45pm
First fish in 10 days or so.

Very very calm conditions lately

A bit stronger breeze today and some dirty water around the edges.
Caught this one about three feet from the shore on a shallow swimming lure.

14 yabbies and pieces another non breeder

48,3 cm

Located a stainless steel three post rod holder buried in the silt,

have not taken a picture of it yet, needs a good hose to tidy it up.

Seepage seepage seepage

Note well away from the lake.

Must have taken ages to get out of trouble.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:21am
Those fillets are so very red, they would taste great.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 7:56pm
The fillet  was delicious Martin cooked in foil , juices retained.

The island is no longer an island but is a great place to fish if the wind gets up, needs white water possibly suits boats with electric motor if you can sit in the area, and do not become sea sick.

Just leave me enough room to throw a lure.LOL

Now covers a lot of different wind directions which is great.

Just need plenty of rain and that will deter a lot of visitors , they do not seem to like walking in the rain/snow. I will have the area to myself.

Lake around 23 %

Cemetery one of our good fly fishing areas has almost disappeared.   The seepage stain is still prominent in the fore ground and we have been rainless for close on 6 weeks or so.

Note ute near the fence up on high ground I am happy to walk, have no desire to dig myself out.

Whilst away the silt gets very slippery after a shower of rain and if i am 2-3 klms away could present a problem..

Normally I would facing the other way for a quick escape if rain is in the area.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 8:01pm
Snow arrived, the wind arrived, the cold arrived, plenty of space to fish. No boats out.

Very well rugged up.

Snow falling around and on lake during the fishing trip.

Yens Bay has about 70 odd metres before empty.

59 and 50.5cm Browns in the shallows unfortunately  broke the top half of the rod.

fillets from 50.5cm brown

Rainbow eaten for tea caught three lost one plus  lure.

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:54pm
Bloody fantastic JohnThumbs Up
Life is fishing!
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 5:35am
Some great Fish you get now John.
I am soon "coming after you" We have finally got some rain and I will try the Streams now. Hope the first Summer Trout is just around the corner

Knaek & Break
        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 6:49am
Thanks P J and Dave.

I just cannot get my local fishing mates interested at the moment, it seems the mud is the main deterrent, and not the cooler /cold weather.

Regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 12:11am
the lake looks beautiful with the snow on the hills mate and those are two very nice trout.I envy youThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:33am
Chris we should get a good dump right down to the lake this winter and pictures should be great due to the low water level.

BOM reports 21.5 % as at 15 June for Lake Eucumbene.

Dropping fast.

Regards  John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:00pm
Came across this little fellow on the edge of the Lake  this evening, around 8 - 10 inches from the waters edge.
Just a tad over 7cm long.
Flat bay, lake dropping , possibly chased out by a trout and could not make his way back.

Kept, frozen and have a mate contacting Fisheries to see if they are interested in examining and able to  ID properly.

Pleased this was not my ute, I would love to know how long it took them to get out of this one.

I am about half way taking  a photo in each  direction.

This one did not make it, but been there a long time, just has not been in sight for a very long time.

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Came across this little fellow on the edge of the Lake  this evening, around 8 - 10 inches from the waters edge.
Just a tad over 7cm long.
Flat bay, lake dropping , possibly chased out by a trout and could not make his way back.

Kept, frozen and have a mate contacting Fisheries to see if they are interested in examining and able to  ID properly.

looks like what we get up here. called a SILVER BIDDY. get them in fresh/brackish water, not sure about lakes.......mick

Pleased this was not my ute, I would love to know how long it took them to get out of this one.

I am about half way taking  a photo in each  direction.

This one did not make it, but been there a long time, just has not been in sight for a very long time.

BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 8:15am
Thanks Mick.

I will mention that name ( Silver Biddy ) if i get to talk to  anybody from fisheries.

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:25pm
Have sent the information off to the Australian Museum (via email) to see if they can help with the ID of the small fish.
A fisheries officer thought it was a local river fish in the area called a whip tail.

Lake gods have been smiling on me recently,  today came across a heavy duty anchor and 4 metres of chain a few days ago came across a three way stainless rod holder in the mud..

Yesterday came across two down riggers that had  had a fight with a tree many seasons ago, still covered in mud. Hose still iced up after our -7.3 C  this morning and down riggers not cleaned yet.
Two days of flat calm (mirror conditions) and have not bothered to fish.

The local fishing club is  hoping to lay 20- 30 yards of cement joining onto existing cement in the water in the next two weeks or so.

It will be very welcome by the guys who are having great trouble lodging their boats at the moment.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 10:00pm
Six days without a fish ( scales lifting ) mirror calm conditions  lake dropping 4 inches a day according to local reports.

Weather fresh need to be rugged up to counter wind chill factor.

Today a light breeze around 15 klms  a bit of dirty water on the edges , no white water or any large waves, tried out a new Daiwa 7' 6"  2-7 grams 3-8 kg  in the mud ,nailed three browns and released two 51- 47 might have been breeders, kept 41 cm non breeder with  brilliant orange flesh, bonus.

Impressed with rod, casting 3 gram lures in shallows.

Recent increase in finds 4 anchor with chains 5 rod and reels I landing net, four bombs (down riggers with clips,) three yellow paravans and  one or two lures LOL
Expecting some rougher weather tomorrow with snow falls  around the surrounding area.

Anybody tried the Bullet Lure.

Regards John

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 10:39pm
Could be just a goldfish John?

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 9:31am
Well done John ,Thumbs UpThat fishing rod sounds great  and enjoy the snow today. I am down with a chest infection and hogging the cotLOL

Cheers,
Mad Dog
Life is fishing!
Demon Lures View Drop Down
Demon Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 1:44pm
Looking forward to be catching up my young mate.
That fish above looks like a horror head speciesWink

Demon Lures,
Dave
Life is Fishing Lures!
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Raffey Raffey wrote:

Could be just a goldfish John?

Testify!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Demon Lures Demon Lures wrote:

Looking forward to be catching up my young mate.
That fish above looks like a horror head speciesWink

Demon Lures,
Dave

David Hill????...... Now which David Hill is this????ConfusedEmbarrassed
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>
  Share Topic