LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lure action for mulloway

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lure action for mulloway
    Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 10:16am
Come on Chris, don't you have plenty of my gar fish blanks to paint they are great for barra but I am sure they would work for jewies , cheers pearcey
RVLuresAus View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RVLuresAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:10pm
Hey Chris, this is the sort of 'rolling' action I've been working towards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fgDie6TGYg&feature=youtu.be - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fgDie6TGYg&feature=youtu.be 
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 9:39am
Hey Chris, They are fished from the Breakwalls and Rocky Headlands around Yamba. But not necessarily in deep water, I know a lot of hits are over shallow rubble or in close to the rocks.

Look for areas of back eddys, and current breaks inside the walls. Or foamy water on the headlands.

When the mullet run is on is the go, like right now.

Cheers,

Matt
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 12:23am
Originally posted by matt fraser matt fraser wrote:

Mick Leavey from Yamba Bait and Tackle makes and sells these big Jew lures, that have accounted for hundreds of Jew off the breakwall and headlands around Yamba.

The bottom one is a Bills Bug, also a Yamba maker, has been around for years and no doubt accounted for many Jew.

Both are urethane and run pretty shallow, body around 170mm.

Mick actually likes fishing them very slow across/against the current on an outgoing tide - so they are almost a wakebait.

Good luck,

Matt

what depth of water does Mick fish them in Matt?,some good info here
that's no how ye make porridge!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 12:21am
Originally posted by reel deal reel deal wrote:

I used to live in Port Macquarie and the number of big jew that were lure caught after a Hastings River flood had to be seen to be believed.

The lure you ask ???

A plain and simple chrome headed red and white feather in 3 or 4 ounce and a single hook.

Yes in the dirty brown water - the red zone was the water line between the dirty and the clear.

similar to this

So maybe a red n white qantas rapala would fit the bill

wadey
cheers mate,i recon I could get a mold for something like this certainly wouldn't be a hard lure to make
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Da-Jew-Man Da-Jew-Man wrote:

Chris,
Look at the Nils Master invincible 150 mm, almost the lure of choice over the years.
Depth is 1-3 m.
Colour depends on conditions, ie floodwater .
Illusion and Outlaw lures worked well around Ballina/Byron.
Dave
cheers Dave ,ive got one of these and will suss out its action in the pool
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 6:42pm
do you remember Fred Dennings near lighthouse beach? or am I much older than you? (47)
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 6:04pm
tye porter use to use a leadhead with white chook feathers.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by reel deal reel deal wrote:

I used to live in Port Macquarie and the number of big jew that were lure caught after a Hastings River flood had to be seen to be believed.

The lure you ask ???

A plain and simple chrome headed red and white feather in 3 or 4 ounce and a single hook.

Yes in the dirty brown water - the red zone was the water line between the dirty and the clear.

similar to this

wadey
I grew up in bonny Hills, and would say DITTO for the camden haven river, lead head red and white feathers did the trick in floods.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 5:36pm
I don't think that a jewie lure has to have a particular action (says somebody who has only been hit once by one with a timberConfused). That assumption is going on by what I have seen them caught on, from surface right down to murray cod lures. I think that the main thing is the size for the area - match the hatch on the likely food source. 

Colourwise - Dizzy Borg liked red, I have seen many shop bought lures re-painted black, Wal's Illusion lures are green and brown with a whitish belly, and my hit was on a Kuttafurra 140 in pilchard colours.

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 4:06pm
Mick Leavey from Yamba Bait and Tackle makes and sells these big Jew lures, that have accounted for hundreds of Jew off the breakwall and headlands around Yamba.

The bottom one is a Bills Bug, also a Yamba maker, has been around for years and no doubt accounted for many Jew.

Both are urethane and run pretty shallow, body around 170mm.

Mick actually likes fishing them very slow across/against the current on an outgoing tide - so they are almost a wakebait.

Good luck,

Matt

reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 3:15pm

The lure you ask ???

similar to this

wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
Da-Jew-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da-Jew-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 2:40pm
Chris,
Look at the Nils Master invincible 150 mm, almost the lure of choice over the years.
Depth is 1-3 m.
Colour depends on conditions, ie floodwater .
Illusion and Outlaw lures worked well around Ballina/Byron.
Dave
Historian/Collector of Old Sidecast Fishing Reels
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:43pm
all over the place chris. taylor uses shallow divers, 1 to 2 mt and top water stickbaits. him and his mates have braining them down the river.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:34pm
cheers Danny,i guess natural colors like you've suggested are a pretty good bet for starters .Action is the biggie though ,the blokes on the weekend got thiers on deep diving 150mm halco scorpions,i have never owned one so have no idea how they swim(not keen to part with $18 to find out either )
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:22pm
Great question Chris.

I've got two big prototypes on the go that I'm currently trialling action wise however I'm in the same boat as you. I've only ever got them on plastics and am yet to target them with timber. Colour wise I will definitely be going silver scales mixed with brown, green and grey. Seems the default option given the bait colours around.

Good topic

Cheers,

Danny
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 12:36pm
on the weekend I bumped into some guys in Ballina who'd just caught an 8kg jew fishing the rockwalls with scorpions,of course now my fishing mates who saw the fish want me to make some Jewy lures for them.So my question to you guys is what makes a good hardbody Jewy lure?,what size action and color is best for big rivermouth Mulloway?
                                                  cheers Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic