Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When lures bite back!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When lures bite back!
    Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 5:21pm
I imagine many of us have experienced the unfortunate situation where in a moment of excitement an error is made that results in a new body piercing courtesy of a fishing lure.

Here's my most memorable hook piercing - what's yours?

Whilst fishing with a mate 5 or so years ago at Monduran Dam, I was asked to stand back further so he could get a shot of the small Barra that I had caught. Happy to help I stepped back, although stupidly I forgot that the boat we were fishing in was 100% casting deck except for the drivers footwell (which I promptly fell into) Embarrassed

As I fell the treble at one end of the lure was connected to the Barra's mouth - and I made a solid hookup at the other end of the lure (through my hand) Ouch

The Barra must have sensed freedom and with a desperate lunge it managed to thrash itself free of the treble in it's lip (and did an excellent job of ensuring the hook in my hand was well set!)

He didn't quite get away immediately, before I put him back in the water I held him up very quickly to get that bloody photo! Angry (while the lure was still firmly attached to me via the treble through my hand) Cry 

I recall that at the time this photo was taken I was muttering through my clenched smile something like "hurry up and get the ..... photo!"
LOL

After undergoing a little field surgery the treble was skilfully removed from my hand by Dr. Dolan and we were quickly back casting at the snags for another shot! Big smile

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 7:25pm
Ou ou ou ou ou ch that's gotta have hurt....64.....Nuuuuuurse...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 7:38pm
Yep that hurts tony!
A few years back I was holding a decent flattie up for a photo, it slipped from my hand and my natural reaction was to catch itStern Smile well I caught it before it hit the ground!
The treble went in up to the hilt in my hand, the fish went beserk, I went beserk!

Eventually the fish was removed from the hooks,I tried in vein to remove the hook myself, but went all sweaty and clammy, my ears started ringing, I slumped on a chair, regained my composure and tried again, After 1hr and many attempts, and nausea and dizziness setting in I drove to the doctors.
I sat waiting in the room holding a Halco Laser pro in my hand, everyone else in the room thought it was amusing except for me.!
You done well.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 7:44pm
Ummm yes it did Pete DeadLOL

And to add insult to injury there was not a nurse in sight!

Here's a slightly better look at the "Champaigne" coloured Lively Lures Arafura Barra, I hope Al Dolan went ahead and produced them after all that! LOL

Cheers, Tony

TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 9:36pm
Oh yeah... I know how that feels... I was in my late 20's and fishing in the Glacial Area around Terry Hie Hie and I cast a lure out and got it snagged on the other side, trying to get too close to a snag. I leant back on the rod trying to free it and it pinged back across the river and embedded it in the back of my left leg right behind my knee. Two barbs on one of the trebles sunk into my leg past the barb through my jeans. I was out there by myself and couldn't get it out. Using my fishing knife I cut a patch out of my jeans so I could stand upright and then tried getting the hooks out with my fishing pliers... no joy... I think I started to get impatient with it and just gave it a good yank and out it came with a chunk of my leg about the size of a 5cm piece and about 5mm deep. It hurt like a biatch and I passed out on the edge of the river.... regained conciousness about 15min later, stuck a hankie over the hole and tied it up with the rope out of my keeper net and climbed back up to the car to head off home. Still got a nice chunky scar from that little trip. Hope you got yourself a tetanus shot after this Tony! Did it leave any permanent damage to the nerves in your hand. Looks like it is just in the wrong spot where the muscles and tendons etc branch across to the thumb.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 10:17pm
Wow that sounds like a nasty outcome there Tas, although you probably didn't have much choice being alone in that situation. ow ow ow Cry

I was lucky in that my friend Paul had been shown the "Yank it straight back out the hole it came in using a doubled up 100lb braid line" technique, and was well practised in using a beef roast as the "patient" (I think I was his first human guinea pig) LOL

No permanent damage thankfully, which is good as I'm a bit challenged in the finger dept. and can't afford to go losing any!

I had some pictures demonstrating the technique - well worth knowing I reckon, I'll have to dig them out (although obviously if at all possible the sensible thing to do is go see the emergency dept. at the nearest hospital, although I was not going to Bundaberg to visit Dr Death!) Confused

Cheers, Tony

simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 10:33pm

Looks painful Tony.  Can imagine it would have been a bit disconcerting having a barra thrashing around connected to you.

I'm all for barbless for the fish but also in case I wear a hook.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 10:35pm
G'day Simon,

Yes this is an excellent example of why we should all use barbless hooks Embarrassed

It's also the only time I've had a double hook up when fishing for Barra LOL

Cheers, Tony

TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 11:30pm
Would love to learn the braid and yank method. I haven't heard of it before!
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 11:51pm
Here we go! (obviously not a replacement for proper medical advice, although handy to know in my opinion) Smile

uploads/1/Hook_Removal.pdf

Another thing I learnt from Paul that day - it's very handy to have a small set of bolt cutters (or side cutters) in the boat to cut off the other barbs from the treble to help minimise the risk of further injury! Wink

Cheers, Tony

TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 12:29am
Gotta admit though... it's pretty tough ... posing for a photo with the treble driven home into your hand like that LOL Doesn't get much tougher...
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 12:57am
Dunno about tough Tas, I'm a big sook - I just wanted to go catch another one, adrenaline from Barra fever helps a lot I think LOL

Cheers, Tony

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 10:10am
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClapClapMAYFIELDLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 2:16pm
Very good information on the hook removal, Tony. I've been there and done that a few times.
Baitman
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 7:58pm
Hi Guys, I dunno which one of them looks more handsome..
Tony or the barra....LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL...Pete.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 8:02pm
TONY"S the snapper head toochyLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLCoolCoolCool
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 8:05pm
Nyak, Nyak schnapper head....LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL...pete.

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by tooch tooch wrote:

Hi Guys, I dunno which one of them looks more handsome..
Tony or the barra....LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL...Pete.

That would be the Barra by a long shot Pete Wink

Cheers, Tony

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 7:29pm
Hi Tony, I think you might be on an even Par...LOLLOLLOLLOL...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 7:54pm
Had a little accident yesterday while chasing Toga's.
Cheers
Adrian

Toga Fever
oog663 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Oogs Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oog663 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 8:43pm
Adrian OUCH Cry been there done that --- don't want to go backLOL
Steve
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 9:32pm
ClapThats gold mateLOL

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 3:37am
COOL AS foot piercings I can ya a job in my brothers tattoo shop if ya keen broLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapCoolCoolCoolCoolCool
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:19am
adrian.
 How long did it take before you had it removed.   Some details required please.
Thanks
Regards John
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 5:50pm
Bob, I will let you know if I ever choose to take up that line of workLOLLOLLOLLOL

John, I had to remove myself as I was in the middle of no where. The picture is when I started to push the point of the hook back through the skin as I didn't stand a chance of pulling it out backwards. I remebered this post when it happened and thought I gotta get a photo to put upLOLLOL. I just used some pliers twisted the hook around, pushed it back through the skin and snipped the barb off, then cut off the barb and pulled it back out, pretty simple eh WinkWinkWink It was suprising how thick human skin is as it took a fair bit of force (and swearing) to get that hook point to come back out of my foot.

Cheers
Adrian
Toga Fever
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 5:57pm
Adrian
Just wondered if you did the job yourself.Lucky you had a suitable pair of pliers with you.
regards John
Stephen Booth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Booth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:43pm
And this is what happens when a Brissie River threadfin swallows a Jackall so far back the only way to get it out is by hooking yourself on it! Luckily it went clean through both sides and I still wear the scar!
And the lure was removed with the pliers sitting on my lap by a very keen mate who just couldn't wait to get into it!
Painted sticks with hooks sure, but they are oh soooo nice!
Google View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Google Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 8:42pm
Pilly, nice looking lure that you were wearing on your foot, people pay big bucks to have bling like that dangling from their body!!

Stephen that has got to hurt!  those hooks are very sharp.  At the least you did land the thready!!

cheers

Rhys
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 8:47pm
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLGOLDLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClapClapClap
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:50am
Hey Pilly, you are right about the thick human skin. I was hooked in the calf of my leg and I did the same thing of pushing it thru and snipping off the barb.Not much funUnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappy
Baitman
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 7:55pm
Stephen,
that lure is not black and red!

Stephen Booth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Booth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 4:30pm
That's because black and red does NOT catch fish! It's only use is to be hanging on my wall!
Painted sticks with hooks sure, but they are oh soooo nice!
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 4:15pm
man no wonder I pay attention when fishing,I learnt a lesson 20 odd years ago I got snaged in a tree 10 feet up,tightend up the drag pull like christ & bang ball sinker right between the eyes, I am very carefull now
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 6:20pm
Yeah, been smashed by a flying sinker after pulling it off a snag. You learn quickly don't you? Martin
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:51pm
This was way too close to the nether regions
Fool to the bream
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic