LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Les Barlow
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nichos Barlows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nichos Barlows
    Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:51am
heres the few lures I have from les, cleaning up the shed (not easy!) and took a few pics before re arranging a few things, i have purchased a nice display case to hang on the wall...these lures will go in it soon.....ive got more of les barlows lures but they are in my tacklebox and will stay there.
Ive been trying to find ways of judging the eras of les's lures...so far im believing that possibly eye color and  stencil pattern indicates age....i think possibly early barlows had either black eyes or blue eyes... more recent years are predominately red eyes?
lures i have with writing/signed on them have red eyes.....ones with blue or black eyes have no signature, and looking through other posts this seems consistent except for a small few.

This pic shows different eras in the shrimp.
bottom lure has blue eyes, the carving in the body is deep and well done...indicating les's younger days when his hands were up to carving the pattern.
Moving upwards from the bottom, its easy to see that as time went on les had trouble carving the deep lines in the body, and they become less prominent....ending with the current style pink shrimp at the top which has no body lines carved at all.

this lure i purchased from the 1st lure expo, the guy purchased it many years ago from a roadside stall near stanthorpe on the highway.
It has a different stencil marking pattern than others ive seen, the overall finish is very good and it has blue eyes abd no signature...indicating early days of les's luremaking.

these 5 lures are special to me, i was talking to les in his shed, and mentioned that id like to see a shorter chunky fat lure that could be used for bass....
sometime later these 5 lures arrived in my mailbox, each one signed  by les from 1 to 5 of 5 only.
the <span style="line-height: 1.4;">lower  black  lure in this pic has caught quite a few bass and a couple of  cod , the hooks were rusting, so once re hooked will be going back in the  tacklebox.</span>

les's lures may not be the prettiest but they are made strong and are outstanding fish catchers.
And they have so much character....true Aussie icons.

Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:52pm
Agree with the last statement mate. It ain't a lure collection until it boasts a Barlow I reckon.
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 3:37pm
Great post Nicho...love the Barlows!
cheers steiny
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 4:47pm
Love the Les Barlows! They're an honest, no BS quality lure. Wish i had more of them.
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Tony Mc Tony Mc wrote:

Love the Les Barlows! They're an honest, no BS quality lure. Wish i had more of them.

I haven't seen one in real life, only pictures. I agree with the quote. Stanthorpe is only a few hours away but I still haven't got there yet. Maybe when our little girl is a bit older.
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 4:58pm
Sorry, nearly forgot........wonderful collection Nicho
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:37pm
Awesome collection Nicho, thanks for sharing Smile

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:54pm
Outstanding

Cheers Graeme
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:08pm
Nicho wrote - This pic shows different eras in the shrimp.
bottom lure has blue eyes, the carving in the body is deep and well done...indicating les's younger days when his hands were up to carving the pattern.
Moving upwards from the bottom, its easy to see that as time went on les had trouble carving the deep lines in the body, and they become less prominent....ending with the current style pink shrimp at the top which has no body lines carved at all.

Yes that is correct Jason. The flutes became less prominent due to Les's hands until he didn't carve them in at all. But Les uses any paint at any time for eye colour - what ever takes his fancy at the time.

Les used to sign his name in pencil because he couldn't find a pen that he could clear over without it running - this is why the backs of his early lures were of a lighter colour. When Les found a pen that didn't run, he started using darker colours on the back (as the fancy took him) (about 10 years ago). About 7 years ago he started putting his $5 price on them. These are the only time lines you can use for his signatures.  Point of note though - Les often missed writing on his lures and sometimes wrote the wrong model on the lure.
I would like one of those 5 lures thoughBig smile, I got a lure you don't have that Les can't make anymoreWink - let's talk.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:34pm
midget?......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:36pm
You picked it MickWink
Martin-

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:59pm
Look a little closer. I can see 5 midgets in Nicho's stash.
cheers steiny
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:06pm
Thanks for looking guys,
I have a couple here with no writing but black dots under the bibs....les did mention why he done that but ive forgotten, something to do with when he was test swimming them i think?
yes steiny midgets are there and in also my bass tacklebox :)

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:35pm
That looks an awful lot like a proper collection to me. Great to see.
Cod Classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cod Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:17pm
Nicho

Magnificent.

Its easy to appreciate Les's lures when you actually meet the man and spend time in his company. Have been privileged to spend a few hrs with him talking all things lures & fishing.

Cheers TB
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 4:40am
the small lures there are different to the midgets i have , single and double hooks. yours look fatter jas, made to your request?.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 4:47am
Nah mick....just standard size, ive seen a few other ones and they were just the same.
Jas

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 6:27am
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

Thanks for looking guys,
I have a couple here with no writing but black dots under the bibs....les did mention why he done that but ive forgotten, something to do with when he was test swimming them i think?
yes steiny midgets are there and in also my bass tacklebox :)

The ones with a black dot were those that he particularly liked the action of. The more black dots the more he liked them. Only saw a couple with 3 black dots though.

I can see the 5 midgets now - all 2 hookers BUT....... you need a single hookerLOL - lets talkWink

Les only made, by his estimation about 12 single hookers and less then 40 midgets all up (had to check my notes).
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:31am
Single hook is in my tackle box i think.
Ive got the shrimp that has 3 black dots under bib.
Theres so many models that are very similiar to each other.
I like the names and the reasons he named them what he did.
I think steinys got about 40 midgets.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:38am
HMMMMM, Les must have made more after he said he wasn't going to / couldn't make any more. Going to have to upgrade my notes if that's the case.
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 12:46pm
Heres a few lil piper blanks received from les a while back.....I have painted 2 of the  6 so far, both exactly same pattern color etc....From memory i think i gifted one to horrorhead at the expo?
(I also painted half a dozen very early terry marshall lures at the same time painted identical to this)
This painted one is going in the post today back to les, ive done a couple of les's blanks before for him, and he really enjoys receiving them back completed differently to the way he does them.
I hope he likes this one....old school glass eyes give it a bit of a different look.

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 1:43pm
I wish I had that many midgets. I think I have about a dozen all with 2 hooks.
cheers steiny
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:26pm
thought youd biteLOL

saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:11pm
Thanks to this thread, you've reminded me the blank that Les had given me to finish.

Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 6:35am
Yes Nicho, you gave me that Lil PiperClap.

Last time I went out to Terry's I left those lures behind - I won't forget them next time to give him hisThumbs Up
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 5:35pm
Took a drive out to see Les today.   Can you guess what is in bloom at the moment?

Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 6:00pm
I picked a heap of those last week out west.....they are flowering in my yard now.

Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 6:17am
Ya look like you're in a Marc Jacobs ad. MartinLOL
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:26am
LOLLOLLOL
Martin-

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:41pm
Good to see these bought to life Jas, a lot of history here, if we don't post them they would probably never be seen and disappear into that big tackle box in the sky, OR pop up on Flea-Bay with someone else's name on them.
Thanks for posting, we don't see Les's lures down here.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by hazmail hazmail wrote:

Good to see these bought to life Jas, a lot of history here, if we don't post them they would probably never be seen and disappear into that big tackle box in the sky, OR pop up on Flea-Bay with someone else's name on them.
Thanks for posting, we don't see Les's lures down here.
Pete

Pete
Next time your up i will make the time to do a trip to meet les...ive been busy last couple of times you were up this way...more on track now

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic