LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What type/size Air brush?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutcho1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What type/size Air brush?
    Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 2:11pm
Gday all

I have been looking at the Airbrush mega store site and have settled on a Iwata smart jet pro compressor, but not sure on airbrush type and size. Just wondering what is the best size airbrush/needle size/fan size to use for lures. Im guessing that .35 mm needle would be better for finer work than a .5 mm? And a smaller fan pattern would be better also.  I have been using spray cans up until now and have talked Santa into buying a Compressor and airbrush for Xmas, so need to get it now before I am naughty again and miss outBig smile
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Hutcho
madoldeel View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.
fake profile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote madoldeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 3:21pm
I got 1 from Auto Cheap...$29 3 size needles...starting at .5 I think...
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 6:04pm
Iwata Revolution Airbrush, simply the best for the money,,,,
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 4:08am
I purchased the $60 gravity feed from Super cheap Its Ok to start with But have out grown it 6 months later and I am looking at the paasche Talon TG they have a 0.25 tip for detail and a fan attachment and 0.66 when you need cover and price is Ok to on evil bay

I could go on about not going cheap if you want.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 1:11pm
SEEN a iwata in the model shop it was over $300 bucks had some nice compresses too right up there in price ya get what ya pay for these daysBig smileBig smileregards bob
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 5:24am
I found this compressor from an Ozzy internet site seams like a bargin for less than $100 bucks
has a tank and go's upto 57 psi
This one looks a little like the Iawata and it is $84 dollars but has no tank
http://www.crazysales.com.au/online-1-6hp-air-compressor-air-brush-spray-gun-70675.html
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 6:21am
Hutcho,
             Do yourself a favour and check out the iwata neo TRN1 from the airbrush megastore. It's a gravity fed gun but has a trigger rather than the traditional finger control. Spend the money, you won't regret it. I love mine.

Dan
Dan
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 9:20am
DOC that looks the good for the money niceBig smileBig smileregards bob
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 11:13am
I am a little parshal to triggers how's it go on the thin lines hutcho or do you use it for coverage I do my slimy lines by hand there about 1.5mm wide
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 3:27am
I have been using my paasche VL. have had it since about 1990 I think. it's been awesome and I've never had any problems with it. never had it slip or dropped it once ever in all the time I have been using it. then, this week, I dropped it twice in two days......onto the concrete floor. the first drop dinged the rear of the body where the handle screws/attaches onto it. so the threaded part of the body was bent on the one side. still, that wasn't the end of the world, I was eventually able to force the handle to screw back in. but it would sure make tearing it down for cleaning a lot longer procedure. so, the next day, I put it all together and decided to test it to make sure everything was working. it all felt right. as I was getting set to attach the hose, it slipped through my hands once more and again fell to the concrete floor. ouch. but this time it was much worse. it landed on the air-finger-button and drove it right down into the air intake. I was able to forcefully pull it out but cannot get it to fit back in, as it bent the top edge of the hole that the pin slides down into.
not easy to fix these problems, so I went for a drive yesterday and picked up a set that someone was selling. 2 paasche H, 2 hoses, 13 bottles w/17 nozzle lids and 6 fixed lids, 6 tips(needles), 3 screens for paint, cleaner tool, and 10 gaskets for the bottles. he had an upholstery repair business for high-end luxury cars. I tried it last night and it seems fine, just much different from what I am used to.
does anyone use the H model?
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 8:34am
Hi Mike, Yes I`ve been satisfied with my 5 H type Paasch for over 20 years, also 3 iwata RG3`s. I had occasion to return 2 H brushes for a overhaul by Paasch in Chicago, they said worn out! & replaced them free of charge!! Suggest you do similar with VL model. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 7:29pm
I use an Iwata Revolution HP CR 0.5 for water based, Iwata High Performance HP CP 0.3 for solvent based and a H series Paasche siphon for laying down base coats on large amounts of lures. Got no problems with any of them, had the Paasche for the best part of 35 years the Iwata's for 10 at least, you won't get that sort of longevity out of the less expensive types.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 5:29pm
Anyone an oppion the Paasche Talon TG, I am still thinking of buying 2 or 3 of them would like to know of any bad points from lure painters
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic