LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > What the blazes is this fishing Lure?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baltic Minnow's?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baltic Minnow's?
    Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 6:31am
Hi Guys are these all Baltic Minnows ?
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 1:23pm
Lyonel--the bag with $5.50 on it look like Baltic Minnows (OR Baltic Bricks as some call them).
John (Screamingreel) would know the rest, he has and uses some of those raw silver scaled  ones, not sure what they are called BUT I think they are made around the same area (Adaminaby).
Peet
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 8:48pm
Agree with you there Pete. The only 2 Baltic Minnows are those two in that packet.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Lyonel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 6:35pm
What are the rest?
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 2:18pm
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
Charles1960 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 5:56pm
The red and silver ones are Hirst Harassers, a good trout lure. I've seen the spoon shaped one in a Cooma tackle store a few years back sold as a Baltic Minnow but obviously more modern and not the original, didn't buy one so dont know how they perform.
Charles

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 12:01pm
The plain silver ones are the Snowy Minnow and reel deal has the packaging that the Alpine Angler uses.

I think you will find that they work better with out out the bead and use only a single hook (fine gauge ).

It is the all important knot, and how it sits,  that allows the lure to do its thing.

Need to change the leader regularly as I have lost a lot of fish very close to the shore through wear and tear on the leader/main line.

I will try and put together some other info I might have on some of the other lures later in the week.

Regards John
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 10:12pm
Hi John. Why not swing that single hook off a split-ring (or better still, a solid ring if you can open the hook eye), instead of tying off directly to the hook. Works better with winged lures.

Merry Christmas, by the way!

JD
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 7:02am
I have only found info on the baltic bobber and not the baltic minnow at this stage.

Will place a photo up this evening.

John we seem to get a better  fluttering effect if the knot passes up through the hole in the lure.
I think it works really well in rough weather.  Just need to change the leader after every trip.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 2:17pm
Sorry went fishing and forgot.

D K Lure  Redfin Bobber No 1

sold in cylinder with paper tag

I have the baltic minnow in I think a similar container with a paper tag just unable to find them at the moment. Maybe by a different maker.

Not sure how many makers back in the 50's and 60's.

I have placed up advertisements in  black and white pictures on earlier threads from 60's fishing publications.

Regards John

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 2:32pm
I had a Redfin bobber no 1, I was catching Redfin in dams and thanks for posting.

Dave
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:02pm
I have previously put up a post about VICTOM LURES from Victor Harbor SA once before. My uncle Roy had bought the business off the owner ....(?) Stenning (don't know the first name and not sure how to spell the last name) He was also a fisheries inspector. Uncle Roy showed me the long Baltic type minnows that were made under this name. The mold for the lead lures was made from a rubberised compound and he still has them. Roy mainly made lead slugs without the coating and squid jigs. I can't recognise a Victom Lure in these photos.

Roy also told me about Bruce Hay (spelling?) who made a Baltic minnow with the coating. He owned a tackle store at Henley Beach Adelaide.
Martin-

rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:44pm
Picked up this  "stretched Bobber"
Never actually seen one of these before..
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:26am
Been awhile since I saw one of those Rick.

With those hooks I take it ,it has some length and would have been used to chase your large salmon during your winter months.

What is the length of lure and total length with hooks.

I assume you would have used it on a surf rod, the old black queen would probably buckled under the weight.

I think the name was a little unusual , not sure how many different, styles types were made in the 50's and 60,s around the country.

Thanks for posting.

Regards John
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 2:15pm
Baltic Gardie
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:15am
Thanks Jim
Troutfisher3 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troutfisher3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 5:36am
Hi guys you wouldn’t part with it would ???
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 11:55pm
Thanks for the info guys
Sorry John, I've been flat out and only just read the thread
I only just acquired it, so no I haven't fished it.
I'm currently at work, but the lure would be a good 5-6'' in length
So you can see there fairly sizable hooks
Thanks Jim for the heads up on the name
Not really interested in selling at this stage,
I'm just starting a collection
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:11am
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 7:19am
Thanks Rick.

Some great colour photos located with the  advertising material.

I have a soft spot for metal lures having been brought up using them on big couta and salmon in the 60's, also trout in the rivers when the whitebait were running along the North West Coast of Tassie.

We used the Nils masters back then as well ,but they were destroyed in  schools of couta with their large teeth.
The standard silver wobbler took all the punishment and worked well back then.

I will place up a group of metal lures I have collected over a number of years

Back yarders using there talents to come up some interesting lures.

I will place it on a separate thread in the metals section. Commencing today.

Regards John

rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:01pm
Gday John
I will check out the post.
We grew up in Victoria, I think I was the only fisherman, even as a kid in our family. My ol man and my brothers where more in to yachting, not me.
By saying that the ol man had a few rods, a bit of gear though the lure's were pretty much Baltic Bobbers or Rublex Floppys
That's probably why I have started collecting them now.
He did have some "home-made type lead bobbers as well, don't know where they came from but I do remember them.

Cheers
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 1:03am
Lyonel - the large gold flattened lure in your first photo was called a Red Gill

Regards
MXB
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 10:12am
What brand, Roger?
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:23pm
Not sure of brand yet but seen it named Red Gill in a couple of old books . . . I will track it down. I have seen a couple of different types too with slightly different tow points/through wires

Regards
MXB
Andieandy2 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andieandy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 12:21pm
I have one of these if you want.
ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 8:02pm
the Baltic bobber in the bottom right corner is the type I have seen, we called them jag's.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 8:12pm
Ben is that the one with two off set hooks
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 3:25am
I've been picking up a few more Baltic's since my last post. 
I will put together a display and post some pics when done
Couple of pics of the last few Ive picked upSmile
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 7:51pm
The green bobber, (bottom) where these manufactured by Baltic, or did they come from some where else?
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 7:52pm
ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Ben is that the one with two off set hooks

yep.

same as the last ones posted by rickyb62
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 3:33pm
Painted  line came from Cairns not sure  what they used them for up there.

Bottom line basic copies of snowy minnow.

Top line different weights and sizes pull through found at tip , possibly more salt water application than the traditional bobbing lure in freshwater.

Regards John

ino

rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 1:07pm

The latest update on the Balltic collection
Have more on the way.
Will post when arrive

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 6:41pm
Any idea on how many varieties - lengths, weights, colours there are? You have a very comprehensive collection thereClap
Martin-

rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 10:05am
Thx Martin
no idea of the number of varieties
Though Ive got another couple of gardi's coming
they all seem to be different
All of those seem to be made by hand, as they are all different
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic