LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Trolling Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trolling for Flathead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 11:14am
All this talk has me itching to get out and try some trolling for flatties!

One question though..... It is pretty much a given that flatties will take almost anything, so I was thinking of trying a metal slug, Halco slice or similar, trolling it in the shallow water and occassionally letting it freespool to the bottom to kick up a bit of sand..... Any thoughts on if it would be effective?
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 11:55am
Yes mate it will work years ago I would use a wonder wobbler a similar way and caught them Smile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
chris_y View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 12:52pm
Cheers Gary! I know what I will be doing this weekend......Big smile
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 4:36pm
my personal favorite lures is a MANNS STRECH 5 in red head with yellow green body they just eat itv up
trevron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 6:34pm
Hi guys, been a flathead troller for 30 years. Always been a winner in Sth Qld. Still do it, but what a lot of  people don't know is that it is not a case of dragging and sucking a stubby as you troll merrily along. Always hold the rod, tip down and slightly forward. You must feel the lure kicking the bottom, and watch the rod tip working with it. If the action of the lure stops and the rod action stops, 10 times out of ten there is weed on the treble. A flathead won't grab a lure with slightest amount of weed on it. I work the lure heavily as I troll aka barra trolling style. This sheds weed quickly and adds to the action. Distance back, as most of my trolling is done in not much more than a metre, probably 10m back. Lure, any deep diving minnow 35 to 50mm. Colour, every one has their favourite, my first choice would be something in pink. Work the moving water, the tide over banks, out of creek mouths and gutters. On high tide get up on top of the flats. I think flathead trolling is done in varying degrees around the country. A story to illustrate. Early last year we went down to Mallacoota, started trolling excactly as we did here. We brained them. Did not see one mexican doing the same. A fisho we met in the van park was bemoaning the lack of fish. After supplying a few fish meals he asked what we we doing. I offered to take him out the next day to show him. He went to the local tackle shop to buy a couple of lures. His conversation with the shop person went like this.Bob "Where are your flathead lures?" Owner - "There is a wall full over there" Bob -  "I know, there aren't any I've been told  to get, 40mm deep divers for Flathead trolling" Owner - "Trolling for Flathead, that bloke's been having you on, doesn't work here" Well Bob and I caught a half dozen up to 50cm, dropped a couple of bigger fish in atrocious conditions. First fish Bob had ever caught on lures. He was so stoked, he went up to Merimbula the next day and bought a tinny he had seen, just to go lure trolling. He almost went back to the shop to tell the owner to bend over.
Trev
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 8:37pm
Trev thanks for that mate some great info thereClap trolling is one of the techniques that I use, most of our lizards come from 3ft to 8ft depth on deep diving minnows Smile If we are patterning a bay by spinning with minnows or plastics we will often troll a minnow back to the start as we move along to the next drift, often pick up one doing this Wink
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 9:33am
Originally posted by chris_y chris_y wrote:

All this talk has me itching to get out and try some trolling for flatties!

One question though..... It is pretty much a given that flatties will take almost anything, so I was thinking of trying a metal slug, Halco slice or similar, trolling it in the shallow water and occassionally letting it freespool to the bottom to kick up a bit of sand..... Any thoughts on if it would be effective?

Works good as does flicking metals along the bottom at most beaches too

MXB
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 9:49am
Hard to beat the old cork popper trailed along the bottom
regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 12:15pm
we work zigzag patterns along the wider channels down at jumpinpin and as long as the lure is banging on the bottom we usually catch fish
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 4:56pm
Another tip, work along the edges of the sand banks, 1 lure running shallow near the top of the bank, 1 lure deep on the other side. Works well around the Jumpinpin area through all the channels, can't see why it won't work elsewhere (sorry if I gave too much away Trev Embarrassed
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 9:27am
Working against the runout with big deep divers along the rockwalls( this can mean going backwards!) can produce some monsters. It also works for Jew

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 10:07am
This is my favorite form of fishing,iys a great big buzz when a monster lizard pops up next to your boat
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 12:01am
Down here we have had some luck hitting flaties on 30g silver spinners when the lines way bay trolling slow.
We were throwing burley out trolling back and forth along a beach blocked off by a rock wall and started with a few salmon but started to get more hits with the flathead getting excited by the frozen shark we were mixen up with some blue bait.
When we were pullen them into the boat they were spiting out the bait we were throwing in.

Hope this gives someone some ideas.

Rick.
Fish Choking Lures :)
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:42am
SHOW us what you use to troll for FLATTYS????????Big smileBig smileBig smileREGARDS BOBBig smile
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:36pm
WHATS YA FAV flatty lure & why????????TongueTongueTongueregards bob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic