LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Trolling Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trolling for Flathead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trolling for Flathead
    Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 7:27pm
 Evening gents TROLLING FOR FLAT HEAD This I believe is one method lure fishing that for the most part is over looked, why I dont know as it is a very effective way of getting a feed.Select a likely looking bit of ground approx 2-3mtrs of water along the edge of a channel or a bank,select a couple of lures that at times will bump the bottom ,drop them back far enough for them to get to there working depth,troll at approx 2-3 1/2 mph,crack a tinny ,sit back and enjoy the wait.Most colours work well,from 10am till 2pm are good hours to do this as these fish are sight hunters and the sun is highCool,give it a try you might get a nice surprise  Lofty
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 7:33pm
Lofty,
I love nothing more than doing just that! And I troll big lures, for big flatty!
 I Always troll first, get a feed, then drift the productive ground flicking for fun.

My son showed little interest in fishing for years, I pulled out the big lures and trolled, we caught huge flatties from that day my son was hooked., that was 3 years ago and he is now 11, an absolute fishing nut, makes lures, lives and breaths it!
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 7:52pm
all right boys need some more info ,this freshwater fisho who has just come back from reef fishing at Cairns Tongue  yes for the 1st time (thanks Barry for the info and help)  is now of to Tassie to his brothers to have a go over there so l was wondering what lures should l take over there for the flatties ??
The reason l ask is l dont want to look like a D _ckhead in front of him LOL 
                           wrapper 
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:10pm
WRAPPER,
they will take most things!

eddy wasp are good, bombers are great, any shallow diving lure will do for flicking the flats,
if the lure is bumping the bottom, it will work.
If trolling big 12-14cm minnow style lures are what I prefer, like halco laser pro.(but everyone is different, so try anything)
Look for channels around sand flats and drains as the tide runs out. Cant miss.
Nicho

Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 6:21am
Wrapper
              My prefered lure size for Flat Head is around the 7.5 / 10 cm and get down around the 3 to 4 mtrs,any patchy sand and weed ground is a good start,also as Nicho said sloping drop offs and channels are good places to have a go Smaller lures 50 to75 ml for casting into the same type of ground but shallower are the go .The middle of the day is fine as they are sight hunters .Give it a go you may end up the resident Tassie F/Head X Spurt you never know    Regards Lofty
darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 9:43am
God morning all 
I had the good fortune to get out for a troll for the Flathead last Saturday and with good success I took two of my kids and armed them with a manns 5 plus and I tied on one of Tom Barretts Gidgee lures after unsuccessfully dragging a manns myself,the Gidgee proved itself very handy as I ended up with Four to the kids two each ,Yee har I finally uot fished my 8 year old Daughter,Thanks to Toms lure ,It has the sweetest wiggle probably more suited to a barra lure but dont tell the flatties.
Regards Darcy.

shayned View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Black Duck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shayned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 12:51pm

4 rods, 2 big bugger smack the ground hard in close lures followed by 2 jelly bean sweet action lures just occassionally tapping the bottom trailing behind.

Best of all get out the soft placcies and get your bits wet while wading the flats and casting likely spots.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 4:08pm
yes way to go Lofty, I lost by best 'jointed' lure trolling, to a big B----rd a few weeks back, mistakenly using 4lb line, idiotBooHoo.
Pete -R
handyman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 3:46am
Some other source full lures i found are Minnoe lures , i whent to Lake Cattie in port Macquarie last year and nailed some big flatties around 70cm mark just trolling in a tinny, 2" trout minnoe lures work great i swear by them i hook up some by catch as well like bream and flounder oh year Tailer as well but they were small thankfully. You can laugh now as i put my finger near it mouth and it got me geesh it hurt, now i know why they call them chopper tailer lol
Sav63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sav63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 8:30am
Flatty trolliing can be a real active hunting session with your kayak, a light spin or baitcast rod and a couple of your favourite bibbed lures. Just tuck the rod between the knees while slow paddling over shallow flats and channels, takes a bit of coordination to get right but when a good fish hits it can be a little bit of mayhem. I have been towed around in the kayak by some decent fish over the years, great fun.  

Lure selection is a very personal thing and confidence in each lure you use is very important, making that lure move with a enticing throb and ensuring that it touches bottom regularily to send up a a puff of sand/mud etc is important to trigger an attack response. I have caught more flathead on bass types lures that minnow or shad patterns but this is probably more about the confidence factor than the lure type. Changes of speed can also help trigger a attack response, paddling a kayak changes speed by the action of paddling or using your electric motor on your boat.

I have found that tides are more important than time of day each location can have its own "best tide", locally on the flats I like the last couple of hours of the rising tide and the first couple of ebb. Being in the right place at the right time ie time of year, is something that can come with local knowledge and time on the water.

Getting out there and trying new things keeps fishing interesting and fresh. You never know what will be the next "big thing".

regards
Sav
Sav63[/
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 6:00pm
Well said Sav ,I believe Flathead lures catch bass and bass lures catch Flathead ,45mm -50mm over the shallow areas and the 65mm to 75mm in the deeper areas.I have used Y/belly style lures with the seductive sway in 5mtrs with great results.It is a facet of Flathead that the new fellers should be made aware as it can save a family day and the kids get a big kick out of grabbing every rod that goes off and telling all how they flogged you .Ah the sweet memories,they were great days   Lofty
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 7:17pm
 Lofty,
Im having those days with my young fella, and I hope they never end.

doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 9:17am
Wink i LOVE flathead yum yum! My best lures to date to use on these fish are as follows Jackall T.N. 60's and 70's in any colour! Don Lawsons RiverKing Lures with polished aluminimum bib and my 1/2 ounce spinnerbait fitted with a red and orange skirt over a red head equipped with a size41/2 highly polished chromed (Silver) willow blade(single) teamed with a stinger and soft plastic in place! 2wks ago at harrington,n.s.w. I landed 15 flathead to 65cm on spinnerbaits!(Watch the Fishing Articles now). The jackalls have been working up river and all that is needed is to keep the lure rattling just above the bottom. I yeah I've never seen flathead attack a lure so voilently than when they attack a jackall.
                                                     Best Regards
                                                           B.J.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 6:49pm
wow flatties on spinnerbaits,never knew about that B.J Thumbs Up
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 8:16pm
Hi Guys, try trolling with Vibes everything loves them even whiting...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 8:57pm
Crikey Lofty, you troll for flathead up your way? Until last year we camped at South West Rocks just up the road from you and we couldn't land a lizard because the blasted Cobia kept blowing us away. Where do you target them near home?
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 6:31am
Not a bad problem to have Paul, just drop in next time and I will give you the inside news   Lofty
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 10:05am
Yeah Puglee no worries mate, people have been doing it for years mate. works on the same principal as the old wonder wobbler. I use size 4/0 eagle claw lazer sharp hooks in my "Flattie baits". I beef up the profile for very big flatties as well. Since I use premium parts in my lure range such as swivels that contain 4 ball bearings to enable it to spin freely to keep tarnish at bay I use White Vinegar and a cotton bud to clean the tarnish away. I find rabbit zonker strips present better in the water as a prey profile and this is why all my skirts are of this nature. They also work over deep reefs with a lady friend just recently capturing a 2kg+ ling on one of my 1ounce models while slow rolling  retrieve over a reef with a 4ounce barrel sinker running freely on the line above the bait to combat the current. Spinnerbaits are very very versatile lures and I've even heard lge yellowfin tuna love blades! I know salmon and kings do, Snapper when in a feeding frenzy will, Also lgerainbow trout love this style of bait as cod etc etc etc. Regards B.J.Wink
Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 10:15am
Learnt a lot here Brian.
Never realized spinner baits were so versatile.
I had them in the freshwater only mindset!
cheers
wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 10:21am
yeah well we all learn wayne somehow sometimes its just through sheer boredom I'll try something new just to see what the reaction will be. But of course Someone will stand up somewhere with the remark of Spinnerbaits in the salt yeah been doing it for years! You Watch! regards B.J.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 7:26pm
BEEN useing on em for 30 years ya snapper headsBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCool
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 8:18pm
A bloke I know down the Gold Coast used to make Mackeral Spinnerbaits, 1 1/2 - 3 oz heads, massive hooks and equally massive blades. The are a gun trolling lure when the mackas are working Palm Beach reef.

Darbs
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 10:11am
G'day darbs Bloody hell thanks mate Mackeral spinnerbaits bloody great idea. I too make a bigger model heavier wire size 8-9 blades in tandem with a bunny skirt on 21/20z heads equipped with 6/0's mustad. My idea was to throw one at a V.W. size G.T. and see what eventuates surely the temptation would be too much for that species to ignore! I guess I'll find out in"11" as I'm tropical bound! regards B.J.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 11:14am
Darby are those large spinner baits still available do you know. I have one large one but would like to get some more. I want to use them with large Gulp grubs on the hooks to drag close to the bottom for cod. The one I have is a Snap Back got it from a place that doesnt exist any more, and the card doesnt have any contact details.    CryCryCry

Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 3:28pm
IVE GOTsome large snape backs i use bill ithink ifya contact  MALS tackle box its on the southern side of the bridge at mullwalla thats were i got mine from......the largest one ive ever seen are made by STEVIE GAUNT from OUTLAW spinner baits in VIC there of the highest quality & huge ive caught some nice cod on these & bass.......regards BOBCoolCoolCoolCool
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 9:45am
Snap Back Spinnerbaits are manufactured by Wayne Simpson of Bendigo Victoria. Wayne is a local Electrician down that way so could be found in the Phone Book. As for Steve Gaunt and outlaw spinnerbaits well they are a great product as steve sources all his parts from premimum part suppliers in the states. Steve also resides near the Bendigo Area in Victoria. The impetus for there products is the great cod fisheries on there doorsteps! I also Have a number of large trolling baits from Wayne Simpson as I used to promote his products nationally! Hey bob hows about posting a photo of your outlaw caught cod/bass as I'm sure we'll all get a kick out of seeing the photos! regards B.J.
chris_y View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 8:19pm
I have taken flatties in the shallow parts of the huon River in Tasmania trolling with Tassie Devil lures being dragged about looking for Atlantic Salmon escapees.....

I was amazed to begin with, but when stopped and thought about it, makes sense! Lure bouncing off the bottom in front of the fish and bang!

Great fun!
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 8:29pm
Yes mate the mates and I have taken lots of flatties trolling deep diving hard bodies in about 8ft of water seems a good depth for them Wink
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 9:00pm
you guys may not believe it but we actually caught a flattie on a popper one time while casting at
some queenfish,seems the old lizards really do eat anything.
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 9:17pm
Chris I believe it mate cause we actually target flatties at times with poppers they love em and a big flattie leaves a very big hole in the water when they hit, I just love it Big smile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 9:29pm
might have to toss some  poppers next time i target them Gary,what would be the best size popper to use?
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 9:48pm
I just use the 60 - 70mm ones same as I use for whiting but I have had them come up from 8-10ft of water and smash bigger poppers that have been thrown for tailor Wink
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
kiwozi View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwozi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 10:14pm
I also troll plastics for flathead, fish style with paddle tail, I found this out when I was flicking on the drift & a baited rod went off, I had only just cast the plastic out & grabbed the baited one, half way though bringing the first fish in the plastic went off with a flathead on it,,it works at night too
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 10:40pm
Jason when we are flicking plastics or hard bodies around we always have a dead bait ( plastic ) out, the amount of good fish that fall to it is amazing and not just flatties bream, flounder  etc Wink
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
River Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:00am
My favourite lure to troll behind the boat or the kayak are some old rebel crawdads and they are not prejudiced in taking flathead bream or bass. When the river is at the right salinity at Morpeth you can in fact get all three in a session and a gym session thrown in. The Craws run a perfect 8 feet don'tr like risking those gem Powell and Akluresin my box as it is rugged bottom. Cheap copies work as well
David
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic