LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aussie lace patterns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie lace patterns
    Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 1:57am
Hello again Australian's,some beautiful lures on display from you guy's, I meant to ask before- what is the reason for so many variegated lace style patterns? Im guessing they are suggestions of various crustacean like beasties ? Or is it just to give a broken up suggestive pattern ? One other thing, it appears you guy's like smallish lures in comparison to the huge perch and other species you guy's are lucky to have, is there a particular reason for this or have I got that wrong ? Thanks......glider
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 7:11am
YEP glider THE trend is smaller lures these days i think but iam a larger lure maker we dig a big deep diver for big murry cod AND mulloway=jewfish etc also paint patterns vary for native fish alotBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 7:53am
Thanks bob, I suppose it would pretty horrendous trying to troll huge lures deep, what size prey do the big murray cod type fish prey on ? Is it it a case of whatever they catch ? I've noticed a lot of painted diving bills also , I take it that's to give a bigger silouett ? Cheers glider.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 7:27pm
Yes the painted bibs give a larger profile as well.

Murray cod can take a very large prey. Even though I didn't actually see how many ducks there were before a large cod went off like a bomb, but only one duck flew off. There are also lots of photos of murray cod with various types of prey hanging out of their mouths. One was of a cod with another cod's tail hanging out.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 8:03pm
the lace patterns are mostly just to give the lures contrast Glider,having said that though some of the laces do mimic patternation of our natives pretty well
that's no how ye make porridge!
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 12:00am
Thanks puglee and hh, I could see how some of the lace patterns could be taken purely as food as opposed to imitating anything in particular, as a lifelong fly tier and designer there's lots of very effective patterns that do just that. When I get back to the salmon in my local rivers I can see potential for an aussie style lure for fish holding static in deep lies, I often catch these bonus fish using a pink/Pearl kwikfish hovered in front of of them.I use pink to suggest prawn/shrimp. Salmon anglers here are very set in there ways when it comes to lures,using probably 6 lure styles for 99 % of the time.Ive been catching on lure styles from all over the world for years and have caused the local tackle shops headaches if I'm seen catching salmon on an unknown canadian or whatever lure,guy's have went in moaning he doesn't stock such and such a lure ! Should be a bit of fun if word got out salmon are being caught on aussie style pearl/pink lace pattern lure backed up in front of lie....glider
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 12:37am
Had a look at look at some murray cod pics, if anyone's interested I'll swap Edinburgh castle for 1000 live murray cod fry delivered, or you can have the royal family for 50
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 6:37am
hey ... peter
it sounds like a fair trade to me !!!   WinkWink  lol lol
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 7:24am
SWEET need a castle broLOLLOLClapClapregards bob
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 7:39am
Done deal guy's, too big to post so I've left it in Edinburgh for you to pick up.Checked a couple of video's , didn't realise your murray cod took surface lures, must be something seeing those lumps coming up behind a lure.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:48am
Glider
Puglee failed to mention that his use of lace came about after a wild night out....but we wont go into that.

Murray cod are a beautiful fish and like you said seeing that lump come up to hit the surface is awesome.
By far my favourite fish.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 9:25am
Ha,so are the lace stencil patterns particular to puglee ? I kinda thought it was a general aussie technique, puglee must have had a fantastic night partying to have such a fine selection.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by glider glider wrote:

Ha,so are the lace stencil patterns particular to puglee ? I kinda thought it was a general aussie technique, puglee must have had a fantastic night partying to have such a fine selection.

all carefully selected from puglees own wardrobe glider :)

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

Originally posted by glider glider wrote:

all carefully selected from puglees own wardrobe glider :)
thank you very much NichoLOL
that's no how ye make porridge!
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 2:18pm
Pete- Lace patterns seem to have been rediscovered here in the past year or two, everyone is doing it--
Maybe it's where you buy lace that has them interested, certainly got me in years back ApproveApprove Wacko.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:21pm

Glider
Puglee failed to mention that his use of lace came about after a wild night out....but we wont go into that.

Murray cod are a beautiful fish and like you said seeing that lump come up to hit the surface is awesome.
By far my favourite fish.

Yeah one of my favourites too Nicho. Closely behind Macquarie perch.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 4:46am
I pulled in a cod out of the Namoi river 65lb with 6 full sized over 5" long freshwater mussels in his mouth 3 fell out getting him into the 10' boat I looked into his mouth and spotted another 3. There was no evidence  of them being in his stomach 
 While holding a mouth full of mussels marbles  he then decided a 150mm old RMG was a good chaser 
After that I believe all stories about what they'll take 
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 6:03pm
Les Barlow was testing his lures in Iron Pot Creek in Stanthorpe one day last year. A family of ducks went swimming by and a duckling disappear in a swirl of water right at his feet. Les indicated the size of the fish as about 65-70 cm long.
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 6:17pm
I wonder what's the reason for cod taking ducklings off the surface.
Could be ducks wear lingerie!?
I wonder if a studies ever been done on this....we all could be missing something here!
Just a thought

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 7:04pm

I wonder if a studies ever been done on this....we all could be missing something here!
Just a thought

I'm sure someone somewhere would fund that study. Might struggle getting it past the ethics committee though.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 7:50pm
Or maybe the v.o.c regulations need tightening up in australia. ....glider
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Raffey Raffey wrote:

Just a thought

I'm sure someone somewhere would fund that study. Might struggle getting it past the ethics committee though.

Cheers,

Danny.

I have plenty of time, & I'll do it for free. ConfusedConfused
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 8:04pm
Awesome Pete,

Well I'd start by asking this mob. They got a chicken into denim jeans and filmed it running around....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWjxRwHTZiw

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 8:43pm
Bahahahahahahahahahahaha
Dan
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 8:18am
Pete i knew you wouldnt be far away lol

glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 8:39am
Is it a combination of fumes and heat ? That is a funny bird though, looks tasty as well, plump bre......good grief I'm gonna stop hangin in here for reasons of sanity.....glider
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 4:14pm
Well I believe the cod take ducks off the surface because they think they are wearing a feather boa - must be burlesque haters ......Confused
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 4:41pm

Awesome Pete,

Well I'd start by asking this mob. They got a chicken into denim jeans and filmed it running around....

Cheers,

Danny.
you have to ask the question........WHY???........MICK
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

Awesome Pete,

Cheers,

Danny.

you have to ask the question........WHY???........MICK

Ha or WHY NOT?

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 5:06pm
Why does Nicho wear ponchos? He actually has control over what he's dressed in. All valid questions though...

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 6:56pm
Its more comfortable wearing fishnet stockings under a poncho danny than under jeans mate
DER

:)

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 9:08pm

Its more comfortable wearing fishnet stockings under a poncho danny than under jeans mate
DER

:)

Wow.....

Echo Lures
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 2:39pm

Awesome Pete,

Cheers,

Danny.

That's special Dan - LOLLOLConfused
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by hazmail hazmail wrote:

Awesome Pete,

Cheers,

Danny.

That's special Dan - LOLLOLConfused
Pete

The worst part is the chicken wears denim better than me.
Echo Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 3:24pm
Certainly one of the more unusual topics discussed on LL. It started civilised. I blame Nicho.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic