LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ideas and advice setup a poll

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideas and advice setup a poll
    Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 12:47am

I have painted a heap of different colored lures and have picked 18 off "my" most successful colors on Bass, Trevally,Yellow belly, Flatties and Bream. But 18 color combos is to many for me to stock that much paint  and I wanted to trim it down to 6 for diving lures. I have witnessed the experience on this site and was wondering what you guys think of having a lure color election using the Poll feature on lure lovers forum and any advice on how to set it up to end up with 6 popular winners, I have an image I could number 1 to 18 people could pick there 6 fav's 
A voting structure is something I have only complained about never considered making one,,,,,,,,,so all advice well received and welcomed 
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:57am
Forum polls only allow people to select one option.
You could set up something on survey monkey that would allow people to assign ranks to their 6 favourite (or even rank them right through 1-20) - then you would need to work out how to weight the votes.
A big positive about using something like survey monkey is that you just need to click a link and not join anything. So you could share the one link here, other forums, and on facebook, etc - get your friends to share it too - and maybe end up with a much bigger base of potential respondents.

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:53am
Doc a good idea however you may require the Guru Tony to assist.
The Journey is the Reward

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:57am
Forum polls only allow people to select one option.
You could set up something on survey monkey that would allow people to assign ranks to their 6 favourite (or even rank them right through 1-20) - then you would need to work out how to weight the votes.
A big positive about using something like survey monkey is that you just need to click a link and not join anything. So you could share the one link here, other forums, and on facebook, etc - get your friends to share it too - and maybe end up with a much bigger base of potential respondents.

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 12:37pm
Thank you, that's a great answer Ducks.

I agree with you re the limitations on forum polls, you are limited to basics. I'm not familiar with survey monkey, although it sounds good. Smile

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 2:27pm

Thanks John I will check out survey monkey, as for casting a wider net so to speak. I was interested in the L/L members responses as I respect there opinions. As most L/L members know the difference between practical and art, weighting this up on a regular basis.  I didn't want just a beauty pageant. 
I have spoken to Tony about the idea a while back he thought it was a good use of the forum.
If I can keep it in the L/L site environment then the results would be open for everyone to see  
Due to a run of health issues it has taken me a while to get around to this, at present I'm about 70% deaf I am expected too recover 
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 2:38pm
Survey Monkey is actually a bit more expensive/restrictive than last time I looked.  But there are similar websites around that do similar that may be cheaper (Google Forms is one.)
We get this sort of stuff coming around all the time at work.
If you wanted to restrict it to LL, you could just create a poll for people to pick their single overall favourite, and then invite further discussion about rankings/species and conditions in the comments.
That would leave a lot more manual work for yourself to formulate the overall "result" - but it would also be the most interactive as we'd all be able to see other comment, etc.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:46pm
I've never created a vote or poll but have completed plenty of survey monkey polls through work and they are very user friendly. I think it's a good idea. What one person thinks is an awesome colour could be a lot different to the broader community. It will be quite interesting to see the results. Another question could be species specific. Some species I like to use natural colours vs non natural colours. Same can be said for water clarity and day/night. We all have our preferences.
Dan
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 8:44am
Just paint all your lures black or white...that covers all bases all fish.
Dark/light
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

Just paint all your lures black or white...that covers all bases all fish.
Dark/light

paint some green if you want Hypnos to buy themWink

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 5:08pm
I had not paid to much thought to species specific colors. As L/L is such a diverse range of anglers I figured that the most accessible species would tend to dominate the poll. And one of the reasons I kinda wanted to keep it within the L/L site.  I didn't want a bunch of 10yr old girls having a sleep over picking colors that go with their shoes. Danny great point you are right it would be interesting to see correlation between species and lure color
Keep em' coming, I am shore there are more details we can get from this Poll

Good news  Jason & Martin the BnW color worked like a champ at night  I painted over 52 colors to get to my 20 I will not say I was absolutely methodical with the testing, (when your on a run of fish its hard to change colors)
Good news on the green front there are 3 sort off
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 8:07pm
Thanks John and Tony 
Had a look at Survey Monkey and my son said he used it in Yr9 at school . It would raise quite a few stats  other than the 6 Fav's if I put the members through a couple of questions 
But before I give up on L/L poll feature I have a couple of questions that might assist other members

Can a member vote more than once on different selections in a poll, or is this a selectable feature 
  Where would I post it
  How long dose a poll run for or is just left opened like a regular post
  Can I post a picture with the Poll
  Are poll results only available only to the original poster or is it  just a ticker on the bottom of the page

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 11:04am
Hi Paul,

As to where, the Lure Making Section would probably be the best place to post it, although I suggest using the Test Forum to experiment with the different options first. The test area is there to allow members to try any and all features of the forum out - you can't break anything so just click the Create New Poll button and go for it! Cool

You can allow multiple choices, post pictures, and can choose the duration of the poll.

Poll results will be available to all members.

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 7:34pm
Thanks Tony
 Had no idea there was a Test Forum You have saved the members the torture of my inexperience Thumbs Up
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Doc Doc wrote:

Thanks Tony
 Had no idea there was a Test Forum You have saved the members the torture of my inexperience Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic