LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > What the blazes is this fishing Lure?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with lure collection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phate08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with lure collection
    Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:26am
My grandfather was an avid fisher and collector of fishing equipment. Some of these lures are old, and some are more recent. There are a bunch with boxes, or names on the lure, these I can identify and value. Some of the others have no name or box. My aunt has asked that I sell these through an auction house. There are also poles, reels, assorted tackle. There are about 20 reels ranging in value from $50-$300. My grandfather did a lot of freshwater fishing, fly fishing, and some ocean fishing. Any idea what some of these lures are, and if any possibly have any value? There are 2 carved bird lures which I have never seen. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lyonel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 10:30am
Brett given that you are based in the States you would be better off talking to someone that knows the local market, There are a few Facebook groups you can talk to.
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:25pm
Some cool looking stuff in there . Those birds are awesome and there are some bigger lures in there that look like the prototype to some swimbaits .
I like pretty painted sticks
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 3:10am
Originally posted by phate08 phate08 wrote:

My grandfather was an avid fisher and collector of fishing equipment. Some of these lures are old, and some are more recent. There are a bunch with boxes, or names on the lure, these I can identify and value. Some of the others have no name or box. My aunt has asked that I sell these through an auction house. There are also poles, reels, assorted tackle. There are about 20 reels ranging in value from $50-$300. My grandfather did a lot of freshwater fishing, fly fishing, and some ocean fishing. Any idea what some of these lures are, and if any possibly have any value? There are 2 carved bird lures which I have never seen. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For the lures that you have names / brands for, use the Ebay Advanced Search.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch

There is an option "block" on the page that allows you to see what "Sold" items have been (covers the last 90 days).

If you are on Facebook there are several groups. Use words like "vintage fishing" or "collectable" etc....

Decoys and other carved items usually do really well on Ebay.

Here's Sold ones in the last 3 months

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage/180001/i.html?_udlo&_udhi&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo&_sabdhi&_samilow&_samihi&_sadis=15&_stpos=54759&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_nkw=%22decoy%22&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

On that same page, look on the left side for a block that is checked "Sold". If you uncheck it you will see what is currently for sale.

I don't recommend an auction house to sell lures as the majority of the buyers would be "resellers"....UNLESS they do the actual auction on the Internet. Ebay would show your stuff to a FAR greater number of people, especially collectors.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like.

David
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 4:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic