LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinning reels using braid and dealing with loops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinning reels using braid and dealing with loops
    Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 11:36pm
I should mention I have had  little experience with braid I do have issues casting and in recent times have cut off six disaster, and used a spare spool with mono to continue fishing.
Casting 2.6/ 2.8 gram lures.
How do you deal with loops appearing  in your braid, when they are situated deep down on the spool mainly occurring after the cast, and normally when it is windy.

The next cast depending on the size of the loop ,is normally restricted in distance and a tangle occurs trying to clear the line off the spool to get to the loop.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

regards John
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:08am
I haven't had that issue before. I use Finns braid. What are you using? 
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:09am
Single biggest issue with braid John is winding line on reel loosely.
You have opened another can of WORMS here John.
Depending on the weight of lure or bait used everytime one retieves there must be tension put on the line.
Sometimes what is on the end suffices but most times it does not and people are unaware of the tension needed for braid.
Obviously the lighter braid needs less tension and certainly different brand braids act differently on your spool.
Also spin reel companys use different oscillating mechanisms for their reels which determine how the line is layed on the spool.
This is entirely another area of consideration.
Generally a quick solution is to be aware of winding line onto your reel with little or no tension.
Your issue certainly steers towards the very light lure however other factors may come into play.
The Journey is the Reward

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:11am
You are on the money there captain Smile
I always wind the lose line in between two fingers to get a little tension. 
Many off the places i cant cast in my local Stream, I just let my Lures slide with the current down stream.
That makes the braid curve along with how the curent goes, and i have had the same problem as you John. But not any more, with the little tension between the fingers.
Also does that when i am fishing in ouer Fjords that is very similar to your Lake fishing
Try it and i am confident you problem is solved 

Knaek&Break 
            Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:22am
For the immediate problem, if possible, strip the line off the reel past the loop then reel the line in under tension.
It may be caused by line twist. In which case run the line out with nothing attached behind a boat or in a park, and reel in under tension.
a good lure is a tool, not a toy - Vic McCristal
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 1:32pm
a good lure is a tool, not a toy - Vic McCristal
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 9:23pm
Yes, as stated above. I wind loose line on between my fingers. It's something I do without even thinking.
Keep the line tight. Cheers
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:55pm
I use to have that problem and changed the type of braid on spinning reels I have no favorite brand I look for smooth shiny braids with a "little" memory. I use the sample they leave hanging out I push my thumb nail into my index finger pad with the braid inbetween, if give it a shake and the kink is still there then thats the first part. I pinch the braid between the pads of my thumb and index finger this should smooth the kink out completely look for any furryness any loose fibers showing up means I reject it  if I can still see the  kink I reject it,  the kink disappears from just the shake I reject it 
I tend to avoid coated braids as the snag rich water I fish tends to remove small portions of it or cracks
On my baitcasters I tend to go for the limpest braids but be warned they are the most brutal birds nests you will ever encounter, and these braids tend to have a width and thickness so a coarse level wind system is a must my 2 sons are amazed by the extra 2 to 3 meters I pull on them when bassin 
I like distance when casting and my selection of braids reflect this 
I use small amounts of tension when reeling in loose line, on long looping casts even reeling in before the lure hits the water
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:40am
All this is good advice but nothing will help more than just getting out there using it and getting a good feel for it.
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 3:30pm
Captain and others are right.

It will happen alot if when casting if  you don't wind on the first few yards with tension. I only use finns, a matchstick rod loomis IMX 8, rated 1 - 3 kg and 4lb braid and 4 lb leader.  I also use a small reel, a stradic 1000. Some have suggested to me to use a 2500. But this outfit is well balanced and I can cast small whiting poppers 30 metres, if the wind blowing behind I can get 50 metre casts. But always wind on with tension for at least the first few yards. If you see a loop don't think you can cast it out, stop and pull the line off the reel down to the loop. Then wind it back on with tension all the way.

The are a pain in the ass, but I love casting small poppers to catch whiting, bream and flathead.

Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 3:31pm
Captain and others are right.

It will happen alot if when casting if  you don't wind on the first few yards with tension. I only use finns, a matchstick rod loomis IMX 8, rated 1 - 3 kg and 4lb braid and 4 lb leader.  I also use a small reel, a stradic 1000. Some have suggested to me to use a 2500. But this outfit is well balanced and I can cast small whiting poppers 30 metres, if the wind blowing behind I can get 50 metre casts. But always wind on with tension for at least the first few yards. If you see a loop don't think you can cast it out, stop and pull the line off the reel down to the loop. Then wind it back on with tension all the way.

They are a pain in the ass, but I love casting small poppers to catch whiting, bream and flathead.

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:46pm
Thanks a valueable tip from everyone and presently I am not doing it.

By the time I watch the lure and ark of the line in the wind, , judge the next wave check the snags watch any chases  """ I will now need to apply tension on the line when the bail closes"""

Had a puncture yesterday missed out fishing  Sat/ Sun (no spare tyre till Monday) to try out your suggestion hopefully I can give it  a proper try tomorrow.

Thanks

Regards John
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:47pm
Apply pressure to the line just before your lure hits the water John.
Also put the bail over by hand when doing this.
This will ensure you have directness to the lure on splashdown as well as a tight line for the first few turns of your handle.
I never engage the bail on any of my spin reels by turning the reel handle.
A very very good trait to learn which will reward you with less tangles and more control.
The Journey is the Reward

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:47pm
recently ive rediscovered  Berkely Vanish John,no more wind knots in braidBig smile
that's no how ye make porridge!
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:35pm
I used Berkley Nanofil 8 lbs I think someone said it has a more flatter profile but still thin.

Braved the very rough conditions this arvo large troughs, strong winds  blowing mid to late 30's  weather bureau said they could reach forty klms.

No malfunctions avoided two disasters line caught underneath break nob, followed everyones\ suggestions to the letter . Caught one lost two, tough conditions to contend with. Very large bow in line with the wind blowing as it did. Applied early bail closure with hand and checked line on spool with a little pressure before commencing to fish in earnest

Appreciate the guidance as it worked

Regards John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic