LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:35pm
I hope the weather gods are kind to you tomorrow Martin,
very nice fingermark!Clap
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by HARTE HARTE wrote:

I hope the weather gods are kind to you tomorrow Martin,
very nice fingermark!Clap

Unfortunately the weather played up AGAIN. The wind once again didn't drop out but I did try up the coast a bit for some small flower pot cod, a little barracuda, stripey and a parrot fish and 2 very small spotty mackeral - again nothing worth bring back. A few other mackerel hits and a couple of hits from a big queenfish (going by the teeth marks) saw a bit of excitement.

I did see a mackeral about 1.5 metres jump right near the boat - straight up then straight back down. Just when I thought it was the closest I had seen one jump - it (I believe it to be the same fish), jumped over the bow of the boatShocked - that was awesomeClap.

Roly was out in his boat with his wife, he lost a big mackerel as he was lifting it into his boat.

Using the Mark A herring again for the reefies
flower pot cod

parrot fish

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
scotch&dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 8:00pm
that parrot would have been good chewing if it was a little larger mate
Ed.McC
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:11pm
Yeah, it was just that little bit too small. Put up a good fight for it's size though.
Martin-

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:18am
Too many horrorheadsLOL or is it to many scotch&drysLOL 
How big do those Parrot fish grows Mr HorrorheadErmm

Mad Dog
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:04am
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

Mad Dog

How about - too many  HORRORHEADED SCOTCH DRINKERS?Big smile

Most of the parrot fish I have caught (mainly on bait) are around 55 - 60 cm. But I have seen quite a few over 80 cm.
Martin-

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

Mad Dog

How about - too many  HORRORHEADED SCOTCH DRINKERS?Big smile

Most of the parrot fish I have caught (mainly on bait) are around 55 - 60 cm. But I have seen quite a few over 80 cm.

That's funny Horrordeaded scotch drinkersLOLLOL They get fairly big then Mr Horrorheaded scotch drinkerWink
 Cheers,
Mad Dog Beer drinkerWink
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 8:23pm
On the rocks today. Wal scored a small shark on one of his 75 mm Wedgetail lures, sight casting to it on the first cast.

After about a dozen casts I hooked a nice 50 cm + coral trout using one of Wal's lures - that dropped off trying to lift it up the rock I was standing on.Cry - yes I was sookyLOL

There was plenty of bait around the head land, when they move into the river then the fishing will improve big time at the wharf.

While casting from the rocks I noticed bait keeping away from a particular patch of weed. Eventually a 70 cm + barramundi poked it's head out. Too shallow water and my lures were too big. Anything falling near it scared it off before it would show itself again.

Wal's little shark

The weed patch - notice the bait avoiding it?

the barramundi (circled)

Martin-

hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 9:20am
Sharp eyes Marty !!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 7:23pm
Well I finally HAD a good morning on the reef - or started toConfused. I scored a nice 61 cm school mackerel on the troll out on one of Wal's lures (no photo). On the reef I used an FML lure kindly supplied by Billy Stringer. Once the top of the tide had past and the run out started in earnest, I scored about 20 small / undersized reef species before I  scored a nice 46 cm coral trout...... hmmmm.

This trout extracted his revenge upon me. I used a long pair of long nosed pliers and held the trout over the esky being held open by my right hand. The trout contacted the inside wall of the esky and leveraged off that launching itself upwards driving a barb to the bend into my little fingerCry. Because the hook was facing the wrong way. I couldn't get the lure off so I could put too much force in trying to remove the hook without the risk of driving the other treble in somewhere else. So I packed up, drove back to the ramp, loaded the boat on the trailer, drove home, unhitched the boat, found the bolt cutters and cut the split ring before going to the hospital so they could use the string / hook removal method. I needed a tetnus booster anyway.

the revengeful trout

the war woundWink

Some of the other fish before the trout episode

Martin-

Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:38am
Ouch! Cry
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:41am
That's cool getting the treble in the finger MartinWink 
Trout looks great and lest you got out on the reefThumbs Up

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 8:22am
ouch!,but hey it was worth it eh!Wink
that's no how ye make porridge!
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 8:39am
Ouch mate, that does look painful Cry
Fishalot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 8:49am
Had this happen to me in a remote fishing location in the NT, Luckily I was caring a small pair of cutters in my kit,cut the barb and left in for 3 days, as I did not want to go to Darwin and ruin a few days of fishing. Needless to say what the doctor said to me I cannot print on this forum, But I can guarantee if it did happen to me again, of to the doctors I would go ho ho.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 8:11pm
Back on the reef today to extract revenge upon the trout - but they got the last laugh - AGAIN (can still hear them gigglingWink). Four lures lost to BIIIG fish and  2 Cam Cupitt's Headland Lures to snags.

On my way out from the ramp I saw Mike pull up. A quick turn around and I had a partner in crime for the day. A troll out to the reef and I was hit a couple of time using a 16 cm Illusion Lure before I hooked up to a 62 cm spotted mackerel ( no photo) that decided it liked the coolness of my esky. Closer to the reef and line screamed off the reel from a huge mackerel hit - then it spat the lure leaving big gashes in the lure's body. Later at the boat ramp I was talking to others and they baited up their limit of spanish mackerel.

Some fish on HJK (Transom's) lures
Now where is that lure?

oh THERE it isWink....            53 cm coral trout

this HJK stick bait was later  taken into the reef by a HUGE trout

and a red throat on it just before it was lost.

this very pretty HJK lure was lost on it's second cast to another HUUUGE troutCry. Wal did warn me not to use it because the trout would love it - but hey, it's a lure, and a lure's gotta do what it's gotta doWink

another trout that tried to play - hide the lure. This time a Headland Lure. This sinking bibless was later snagged and lost.

Another Headland Lure was snagged before it caught a fish.

Steiny's DJR lures next. One of these was lost to an 80 cm + gold spot cod

A couple of fish on Roy Durre's C.R.A.F.T. lures. By the time I started using these, the fish were taking deeper diving lures.

Mark A Lures next. I lost a Creekybait on it's second cast to yet another HUUUGE trout

Mike had some good and bad luck. Here he is hooked onto a tea leaf trevally (which he enjoys eating) at about 65 cm. It dropped off right next to the boat. He used a lure he found on the beach a couple of weeks ago, only to loose it later to another HUUUUGE trout.

On that same lure Mike scored this 58 cm trout. He scored a nice 47 cm trout on a bluish  Bomber (no photos).

Now Mike is a very excitable bloke Wink. I never know when he's hooked up until I hear something flapping beside the boatLOL.

When I say a HUUUUUGE trout, I mean something that is over 60 cm. The average size of the trout that we lure up is around the 46 cm to 53 cm mark.

Martin-

hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 8:29pm
Good stuff Martin !!
Cheers Steve R !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:54am
good onya big fella, the conditions look really badConfused.......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 11:06am
nice work Martin some good chewing there!Thumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
Demon Lures View Drop Down
Demon Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 7:23am
Very nice Martin, fantastic fishing and do you lose too many lures on that reef??

Cheers,
Dave
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Demon Lures Demon Lures wrote:

Very nice Martin, fantastic fishing and do you lose too many lures on that reef??

Cheers,
Dave
                                                                                                                                                    Ha ha yes Dave, I loose a lot of lures. Big trout and cod that just head straight to the reef. I’m going have to up my gear from 8 kilo braid and 20 kilo leader to at least 12 kilo with 25 kilo leader. A good trout can rub through 20 kilo leader in the reef within seconds. You really have to give the fish a lot of stick to stop them from reefing you and that is not always successful in 2 metres of water.
Martin-

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Originally posted by Demon Lures Demon Lures wrote:

Cheers,
Dave
                                                                                                                                                    Ha ha yes Dave, I loose a lot of lures. Big trout and cod that just head straight to the reef. I’m going have to up my gear from 8 kilo braid and 20 kilo leader to at least 12 kilo with 25 kilo leader. A good trout can rub through 20 kilo leader in the reef within seconds. You really have to give the fish a lot of stick to stop them from reefing you and that is not always successful in 2 metres of water.

Very clever fish up there Martin and if you used a wire leader would it spook the fish?Smile

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 2:26pm
I often use a short wire leader. But only if I think there could be something toothy around. With the very fast jerk action I use, it doesn’t give them much time to study the lure or the hardware. The fast jerk causes a reaction hit. I should also use a stiffer rod, but then that means less casting distance and most of the hits come from more then 60 metres away. A trade off has to come somewhere.
Martin-

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 7:49am
Great fishing Martin! Love the variety of species.
cheers steiny
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 7:39pm
Been a while since I fished here in Cooktown. I spent a couple of weeks helping Cam Cupitt's brother move back to Innisfail from Junee. We took down 2 cars and a trailer and came back with 2 cars, 2 trailers, a 12 metre goose neck horse float towed by a prime mover. We had a bit of a fish down there trying for murray cod with a carp line out for 3 carp on shrimp baits in total.

On the way down we were going to bypass Toowoomba, but the fan clutch in Cam's car went and the only one in the area was in the middle of Toowoomba. It was about 4 hours added to our journey after it was fitted. That night camping out - it rained near Wauchope. We had to go there to deliver a stuffed goat (mountain thar). That night we were in Junee. On the way back while I was behind the semi trailer when a tyre blew on the rear drivers side. There spare was a different size (Brian had only just bought the horse float) so I took the wheel back to the nearest town for a new tyre - they had none as it was an odd size. So we fitted the larger spare and made it to near St George 7 hours later and camped. In the morning we found out that there was still not a replacement tyre there. So we made it to Roma where they did have one (got 2 just in case). So all of this drama with the tyre cost us 5 hours of mucking around. We made it past Clermont where we camped again. We were expecting to have been back in Innisfail this night. So we did not have it all plain sailing but at least it was a safe trip dodging kangaroos during the night drives (well we couldn't dodge them all 7 got cleaned up by the semi and despite my best efforts I hit 2 including one that jumped between the car and the trailer). And I managed a nice sunrise photo on our last morning.

I tried the rock wall this morning for no success. I saw a big silver something at the base of the rocks but it didn't want to come up and say hello. I had been back since Monday afternoon but I have been busy moving some of my gear into a storage shed.

Not a fish photo but a pretty Cooktown sunset.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 7:52pm
Well what a bummer. The effects of the cyclone has just about died here in Cooktown. That means that there’s going to be about a week of great winds to get out on the reef. And the wind forecasts on both Windy apps say the same thing.     Except yesterday a filling decided to part ways with my root canal leaving a gaping hole in my tooth and a couple of very sharp edges that are cutting into my tongue. The dentist here can’t pull it any sooner then 5 weeks time. By that time I would have an absyss on my tongue and most probably in the gums around the tooth as well. So down to Brisbane I go. My dentist there said if I have any trouble with this tooth he would pull it out for free. The cost of fuel down and back negates the cost of a tooth pull anyway. And while I’m down there I can complete some business in person. Just as the weather comes good- BUMMER.                             Wal and I had a flick around some flooded drains. Wal got flashed and I had a couple of very soft hits. A high light was watching a little 4 inch - 10 cm mangrove jack smacking into some little fry less then a centimetre long, all in a drain that in a weeks time will be dry.
Martin-

hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 8:49pm
Good luck with the dentist mate!!
Cheers Steve R !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:53am
Poor Martin, That tooth is a real bugger what about the old door knob and string trickLOL Good luck mate because I know that they charge like a wounded bullShocked

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:24pm
Good luck with the tooth Martin, bloody teeth can be a real pain!
Had similar happen recently, joys of getting older.
Best of luck!
Cheers, Graham
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:39pm
The biggest pains are trying to keep the tongue still so it doesn’t cut- therefore not able to dish out the cheekiness, as well as the great weather I’m missing out on fishing the reef. Been 2 months since I have hit those reefs.
Martin-

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 10:14am
Martin, surely there are good dentists in Cairns? Give Cranky a bell, he'll know one.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 11:35am
I remember a post of his on obtaining lures from his dentist. If not Cairns, Townsville has plenty of excellent ones!! "Buy Local Martin". Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 1:14pm
Will they be free, though?
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 5:31pm
A free tooth pull, plus it’s easier doing some of my business that’s only just came around in person then by computer and mail, and a friend with a family tragedy. I was thinking of coming down just for that so the tooth made up my mind
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 11:51pm
Been back now since Monday, but the wind and the heavy rain has limited my options to fish. The wave forecast was over 2.5 metres so the rocks were out of the equation.

Last night Wal and I had a flick around the area. Wal got boiled at one spot and after a while we moved to another spot. First cast using a Ray Murphy stick bait and I came up solid to a barra at least 70 cm in length. But alas, it threw the hooks during it's 4th jump. We tried a couple more spots but called it a night once a heavy down pour set in.

A flick around the wharf this morning and I came across Mick.He had the day off because the Little Annan River was flooded. He said that Roly had just left with a 93 cm barra he caught on a 5 cm white single tail soft plastic. Roly then sent me a photo to rub salt into my woundsOuchLOL.

Tonight Wal and I had another go for 1 missed hit by a small mangrove jack to Wal. The water had turned to mud from the recent heavy rain but there was still a bit of bait around

Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 50>
  Share Topic