LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 12:47pm
Yep was a great disappointment. Now I’m hearing stories that a bloke videotaped the spill on his phone until the tank ran out rather then calling the authorities - all to do with animosity between the two parties. If that is the case then he should be smacked as well.                    On a brighter note, I get 4 new tyres today after ripping the side out of a tyre wall on a rock. Was hoping on changing the tyres in another 10,000 kilometres though. But 4 tyres for the price of 3 was too good to pass up as well.             Watched a 5 metre plus croc carry around a big turtle shell in the Annan River this morning. Apparently there is a 6 metre dude hanging around croc bend but he is very shy. I haven’t seen him but a lot of people have.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
scotch&dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 9:05pm
where did you get your tyres from mate here or in cairns ?
Ed.McC
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 3:46pm
martin that might not have been a turtle the croc was carrying around!

could of been his girlfriend 'MICHELLE'
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 4:08pm
not funny jas, just wrong....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 8:48pm
Classic Nicho 😁😁👍
Cheers Steve R!!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by scotch&dry scotch&dry wrote:

where did you get your tyres from mate here or in cairns ?

Tyrepower in Cooktown Ed. Falken tyres 4 for the price of 3 brought the price down to $1,100 with a wheel alignment. I run 245/170 R 17 tyres, not the Triton standard 245/165 R 17 tyres so they had to get them up from Cairns. My size tyre is not as common
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

martin that might not have been a turtle the croc was carrying around!

could of been his girlfriend 'MICHELLE'

You've been talking to B.O.B. Nicho?Wink
Martin-

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 11:33am
Nicho's a card, those Falken's are good mate, made in Thailand have em on my MINI.
"Always Merry and Bright"
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 11:40am
no falken worries eh?
that's no how ye make porridge!
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 1:28pm
no chris, he said he's got them on his mini...mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 1:41pm
Lined up a trip to Lakefield tomorrow with Shaun and Mick ( and Mick’s “French girl “). Hopefully we’ll get into some good fish.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 8:51pm
Well Mick's "French girl" didn't come ....... I think he's hiding her from usShocked

What a cold day. We left Cooktown with a slight drizzle of rain at 13 degrees and arrived at 18 degrees. When I checked the recorded temperatures on the car's temperature log, it didn't get over 26 degrees. With this sort of air temperatures it was vital to find warmer water, water that would be in the sun. Well the sun didn't come out until after 11 am (you should be able to see where I am going with this).

8 kilometres of walking and our tally was dismal. Shaun was first with  what he called a little barra on a mould 12 cm Elliotts lure. No photo as he lost his phone and I was too far away. My barra came on a Roy Dury C.R.A.F.T. bug / frog type lure (note to self - Shaun is not a good photographer), this was only 14 cm longEmbarrassed. Mick scored the next 2 using an Illusion Lure 12 cm wedgetail minnow, one at 56 cm and the other at 15 cm.  I tried one of PJs (Per's) spoons. I watched a barra that may have been the legal 58 cm engulf it then spit it out as it took the lure on the drop and I didn't have enough time to take up the slack.

What has been noticeable is the lack of archer fish. We have seen a few, mainly very small ones but we normally hook a few. Where we went today has a high saltwater and freshwater crocodile population, we only saw one  3 metre salty for a couple of seconds.

Ed (Scotchndry) is camping with his family this weekend somewhere at Lakefield - he has probably caught all our fishWinkLOLLOL

my little offering

Mick's fish

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 8:30pm
Didn't fish today but still came home disappointed. 

Every week I see at least 2, sometimes 3 times that fuel has leaked from a bowser filling up a pro- fishing boat. Always on an outgoing tide and often at night so they know the bowser leaks. These are not huge spills like the 2,000 litres a few weeks ago (many people have said more like 5,000 litres), but enough to send a slick from the commercial wharves to the waterfront development all up covering 300 metres.

Many of the recreational fishermen are pissed off about it. When I posted up on Facebook - Cooktown buy swap and sell site before the big spill, I got animosity back from the commercial centre even though I did not mention them. Just goes to show a guilty conscience.

From what I understand, the Environmental Protection Agency has now been contacted about this small spill as they were very visible at the big spill. I accumulative affect of these small spills over the last 2 years I have been living here permanently would be just as devastating as the big spill.

It's a shame that people haven't learnt from 3 weeks ago. Reporting these is now the only option left.  

This sort of crap is reminiscent of the commercial sector in South East Queensland 40 years ago.

Martin-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 9:10pm
happens all the time Marty, the bastards pump out their bilge water and contaminate everything.   
Ed.McC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 9:21pm
ps mate we didn't get out to lakefield until Saturday arvo as the weather looked dodgy fished kennedys bend that arvo for 3 rat barra and 2 solid archer fish ,fished the catfish hole sunday morning with no action at all too cold I think ,same result at kennedys , found some new water to try in the arvo when it warmed up a bit pulled half a dozen little barra and a couple of archer fish but had to cover a lot of country and work for them cheers Ed

Ed.McC
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 4:57pm
I'll be going out again very soon with my nephew and maybe his wife. Hoping that the water has warmed up a little bit more.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:23pm
Every weather app and web sites are saying Thurs, Friday and Saturday with light winds -YAHOO at least one of those days will have to hold true - hopefully. Sunday is predicted 30 kph winds with gusts up to 56 kph.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:58pm

YAHOO - finally the winds have dropped, but back up again after tomorrow so another trip out tomorrow is planned.

Well the tides were not the greatest - very little run out so not much water movement. I scored a nice 100 cm spanish mackerel on the troll out to the reef on a C.R.A.F.T. minnow made by Roy Durre. I then dropped another on a Wade Garland made Whiptail Lure.

It took us a while to get any decent hits when he hit the reef. We both (Shaun and myself) lost a decent coral trout each. The trout I lost hit one of PJ's (Per Johannsen) spoons but didn't secure a good hook up. Shaun used some sort of mass produced plastic fizzer and was asleep while fishingWink. I later lost the spoon lure to the reef. The only trout that came aboard was on a HJK minnow, at levelling my biggest at 63 cm. I also got a little tomato cod on a Zoomy lure. And that was the end of the reef fishing - very slow.

When we pulled the pin on reef fishing, we decided to troll just off it as a deep channel runs partially alongside this reef. We saw our first bit of bait movement and trolled over to it. During this, my 16 cm Illusion Lure Wedgetail was smashed and I was rapidly loosing line. I couldn't knock the motor into reverse fast enough to try to slow up the line loss and had to hold the spool as I only had about 6 wraps of line left - next moment my 20 kilo line snapped and I retrieved half of it back. The big head shakes, the fast and powerful run has me thinking it was most likely the 1.5 metre giant trevally model that's on my bucket list.

We decided to troll back home for Shaun accounting for a small wolf herring. Oh well back again tomorrow with better tides. Talking to Scotchndry at the super mark up (IGA), what he said of other people going out, we did pretty good compared.

I don't mention all the lures I try as their non capture of fish is not necessarily a reflection on how good they work. eg. if I use a lure on the reef at dead low tide, it most probably will not catch a fish due to no water movement.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 9:34pm
Forgot to mention, I snagged this big blue B.O.B. lure on it's maiden troll - crying big time.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:49pm
Back at the reef today. Instead of trolling out past the river mouth for a couple of kilometres I just headed straight out to the 22 metre mark then started trolling. The last four times I trolled near the river mouth I didn't even get a touch so for the time being I'm not going to fish it.

Using a 16 cm deep running Wedgetail on one trolling rod and a Whiptail jew lure on the other rod saw just 2 hits - both on the Whiptail for no hook up. So this told me that the mackerel were reasonably high in the water column. On the reef I used a variety of lures for only small reef species, no interest at all from the coral trout.

Finished trying to get a trout I started trolling again. I used the 16 cm deep Wedgetail again and a lure called "The Boss" from Hard Workin' Lures, this lure ran a little deeper then the Whiptail but not as deep as the Wedgetail. Kevin only made 2 of "The Boss" lures and gave me one to try. Within a couple of minutes, The Boss caught me an undersized spanish mackerel. Next fish in was a 90 cm spanish mackerel on the Illusion Lure Wedgetail, then another undersized spanish on The Boss.

I went around the back of the reef looking for more spanish macks. The eastern side often has the larger mackerel and I was keen for one of these. The Boss got  smashed but no hook up and a chunk of red cedar was missing from the tail of the lure. On the troll home I was smashed again on The Boss by presumably a huge spanish mack. A screaming run then nothing, it looked like the line was cut -probably bitten by another mackerel at the wire trace.

Before heading home I hit another reef chasing giant trevally. A huge B.O.B. made murray cod surface paddler soon attracted a GT that smashed the lure on the wrong side of a bommie and rubbed me off cutting the line. Soon afterwards using an Illusion Lure 16 cm stick bait - the same thing happened. But this time the lure floated back up with a wicked set of teeth marks. 

A few sightings of GTs swimming in open water was getting me drooling, but they wouldn't touch a lure. I saw a GT holding station next to a reef in ambush mode. A cast with the stick bait near it and the fish smashed the lure and went on a scorching run causing a rooster tail of water off the line, only for it to drop the lure (how did that happen???). Another hit for no hook up soon afterwards and it was time to troll home.

a stripey on a Zoomy Lure by Jeremy Menchin

Fish on Mark A Lures

DJR Lure by Steiny

The Boss by Hardworkin' Lures

The 90 cm spanish on the Wedgetail

Martin-

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 9:10pm
Another good day on the watrer Martin Thumbs Up
Thanks fore the report Smile
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 7:45am
A good day out Martin, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 4:55pm
Go MartinWinkon fireSmile
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 7:37pm
I may get another chance in the next week, if the wind reports get better and I don't have to make a quick trip to Brisbane. The few days that the winds did drop, a lot of bait came into the river and some quality fish followed them in and were caught from the wharf, just goes to show what effect the wind has on the estuaries up here.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:24pm
A couple of hotter days, and with the predicted cold snap that's supposed to be hitting us in the next few days - Mike and I decided to hit Lakefield National Park again. Mike had his friend (not girlfriend) Miranda - a French back packer friend of the family tag along.

Now Miranda had not been fishing before, so with Mike and I it was "challenge accepted" - to get Miranda onto a barra.

Mike started the tally off with a 62 cm barra caught on one of Dave Pearce's garfish blanks. The split ring gave way once the fish was lifted onto the bank.
Mike's barra

Using a Mark A lure by Mark Andrews, I scored a little catfish. It seemed like that was going to be my effort for the day when, an hour later I landed a 54 cm barra fishing a back eddy. 15 minutes later I had a 65 cm barra wrap me around a log. With steady pressure I pulled her out, then she went back in again. I eventually landed her after a few jumps and head shakes. This fish performed really well. A couple more dropped barra (actually I think it was the same fish) and that was me for the day - no more action.
my catfish

the 54cm barra

The 65 cm barra

Now about that accepted challenge to get Miranda a barra and her first fish. Well how is this 56 cm fat barra? Undersized but in really good condition and she did it all on her own. That made a reasonable day into a great day. Caught on a Moore Fish Lure.

By this time, it was time to turn around back to the car. We had walked 13.6 kilometres and through some rough country. All the fish went back as it would have been too hot to keep any of the 2 legal fish, would not have been in very good condition eating wise.

Martin-

HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:35am
Great work Martin, that is a good walk in hot conditions! Clap
Cheers, Graham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:13am
good effort by that young lady marty
Ed.McC
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by scotch&dry scotch&dry wrote:

good effort by that young lady marty
                                                                                                          Sure was Ed, she just kept on trying. By the end of the day she was casting to about 20 metres
Martin-

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:34pm
Wow, nice work Martin! 

Miranda sure has a great yarn to tell when she gets back to France, amazing effort all round! Clap
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:04pm
well done Martin!
cheers steiny
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 8:30pm
Today I had Ed (Scotch n dry) and his wife Jody with me at Lakefield. We were hoping that the cold spell on Friday that hit us would not have too much of an affect on the water temps. Well it seems like it did and the fish were really shy. I had a short take on a 16 cm Illusion Lure stickbait, which I later lost when the bail arm closed during a cast snapping my line. Later I had a barra that may have been legal size have 3 goes at my Zoomy 90 mm Menace (made by Jeremy Menchin). All that I landed with that was a scale on the middle treble . Later on I had a small barra give it a half hearted swipe. That was my action for the day.

Jody had a couple of follows by fish (very confident fisherwoman) and I think Ed had a half hearted swipe.

On the way home we were on a narrow section of Battle Camp Road in amongst the hills. An older Nissan Patrol, going too fast, came sideways around a blind corner. I edged over to the ditch on my left side hoping that I wouldn't have to go too much further as the cutaway into the embankment was on that side. Luckily the other driver straightened up only just missing us. He was lucky he didn't fishtail his vehicle off the steep edge on his side.

I'm glad I was only doing about 60 kph at that time.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 11:01pm
Got back from  Lakefield NP this evening. I had a huge post written out with lots of photos but then it all just disappeared - lost. I'll post up some photos tomorrow.
Martin-

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 11:05pm
Just like every time i hook a Fish in my local Stream it just disapear again ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedLOL
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 9:41pm
Here are the photos from my 3 night stay at Lakefield.

A 56 cm barra on a Les Barlow Troopy. I had to cut the front treble off with wire cutters. Then through the gill  slit cut off the 3 barbs from the rear treble and then cut the shank of the treble. I then had to reverse out, through the gill slit the remains of the treble.  The gills were in the 3 bends of treble. The fish swam off happily.

Fish caught on Circle V Lures made by Verlon Caudill . An archer fish, a small tarpon and barramundi

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 10:14pm
Some more photos

Barra on a Zoomy Menace  made by Jeremy Menchin

Barra on Mark A Lures.I ended  uploosing this lure to a  snag after I retreived it with an Illusion Lure. That first time was busted off by a big barra thast later threw the lure.

The Wedgetail lure after it retreived the soon to be doomed Mark A Lure

A 56/57 cm baara on an Illusion Lure stickbait. I had 2 barra easily over 75 cm leap about throwing the lure

Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 50>
  Share Topic