LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 4:35pm
Shannon's mackerel on the Southern Cross Jew-Ass

The lolly bait

My little trout on a Ganesy lure

Shannon's big trout on the First Strike lure

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 5:01pm
Shannon's trout on DJR deep Creak Freaks. I think his biggest one went 57 cm. He had 3 trout at 38.5 cm and two of the photos look like the same fish, but there are differences in the clouds behind him, the reef behind him, the location of the hook (one lipped the other in the mouth).

Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 6:12pm
Beautiful conditions for it Martin.Jeez Darrens lures certainly attract the fish!

that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

Beautiful conditions for it Martin.Jeez Darrens lures certainly attract the fish!

Yeah they work very well. I found some old tackle boxes that I misplaced during the moves of my gear over the past few years- and guess what? I found a couple more in them.

I did have another deep Creak Freak with me but didn’t want to risk 2 items from a limited resource at once.
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Yeah they work very well. I found some old tackle boxes that I misplaced during the moves of my gear over the past few years- and guess what? I found a couple more in them.

I did have another deep Creak Freak with me but didn’t want to risk 2 items from a limited resource at once.
   yeah , and what else did you find. . . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

SANITY WinkBig smileWinkBig smile
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 5:24pm

SANITY WinkBig smileWinkBig smile
more like insanityLOL,its a disease dont ya know!Wink
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 5:29pm

Tough day at the office today. Scotch n Dry and myself headed out to our target reef at full noise slowing down to start a mackerel troll just before the reef. On this troll I found a nice reef in 36 metres of water. This is an area commonly travelled yet I have never seen anybody fishing in this area. A few waypoints were marked on the GPS with the aim of jigging it at a later (or sooner ) date.

As we neared the shallowing water of the reef we stopped and wound in our troll lines. Ed soon announce that he was on, while winding in. Soon we could see the silvery shape of a feisty mackerel. I was certain that it would be a shark (or scaly or grey) mackerel as they are more commonly encountered in the shallow waters of reefs.  And so it was, a shark mackerel in the ice box – sorry, no photo, it was caught on a Rob Gaden made “Cutting Edge” mackerel lure.

Drifting over the reef and I soon had 3 trout in the boat, a 48cm and a 42 cm common coral trout and an undersized 33 cm passionfruit trout. All of these were caught on a lure made by Kuttafurra. The tidal flow was slowing down as it was reaching it’s peak. If you remember, the worst times to fish the reefs are the hour before and after the dead high tides and the dead lows.

Ed managed to snag his Twin Rivers mackerel lure. We doubled back to wiggle it free and up it came- attached to an octopus. I took a couple of photos then as Ed was preparing to lift it on board to retrieve his lure, tho octopus grabbed hold of the side of my boat and would not let go. In short, the leader broke and Mr O.Pus swam off with a nice and pretty lure.

With a few smaller reef species only coming on board we decided to try another mackerel troll to a smaller reef. Nothing happened on the troll but on this reef we scored a heap of smaller species. With nothing else happening we trolled back to the original reef. The drift was not good, we kept on drifting over the edge of the reef. I went to deploy the electric outboard, and it wouldn’t turn on. I played arounfd with the cut off switch but to no avail (back home I found another reset switch and on it went straight away – DOH). So we battled with wrong drifts for very little caught until we decided to call it a day.

At least tomorrow is looking good again so I’ll have my niece and her beau with me. Monday is also looking great but alas – I have a medical appointment. These appointments are too hard to come by so I can’t miss it.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 6:08pm
The trout caught on the Kuttafurra lure.

A longfin cod on a Mad Dog lure

The errant octopus

Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 6:32pm
get a bigger hat or get a hair-cut. . . .mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 10:25pm

Perfect conditions so wide open throttle to the new marks I put in my GPS yesterday. We spot locked directly over the middle mark and dropped jigs down in 30 metres of water. This structure rises up 6 metres and we were expecting of a session on the nannygai. Nothing on the first drop. We moved along towards the next mark and dropped the jigs. There was not any fish life showing on the sounder and we didn’t get any interest. We gave that up and went WOT onto our target reef.

Shannon was the first to hook up using the DJR Creak Freak and a nice 51 cm trout came up. He soon backed this up with a 46 cm trout. Shannon shared that lure with Tiffany, my niece and she pulled up a few of the smaller species with it. I mainly used Kuttafurra and First Strike lures and kept a 47 cm trout. At one stage I cast a Mad Dog lure out over a bommie and was hit by a massive giant trevally. My little lure screamed as this fish ran and – the 12 kilo line parted. Why do the big fish hit your lure while you are using the smaller gear?

The lure floated back up and I tied it back on. The next cast and another big giant trevally grabbed it and took off on an even faster run then the first run. This little reel was working hard with line protesting as it peeled off against the drag. After about 50 metres of line exited the reel, everything went slack. I reeled the lure back in and 5 points on the 2 trebles were straightened out. Shannon cast out in the general direction and was hit with a big surface strike resulting in a run that didn’t hit high gear before the fish let go of the lure.

I replaced that lure with one from the Kuttafurra stable. A few fish came up until it disappeared in a huge surface smashed and once again, line peeled off in a screaming run – really, the light line AGAIN? This fish took off about 20 metres  before I turned it with sideways pressure and I gained about 10 metres. It took off in another 20 metre run before I stopped it again with sideways pressure in the opposite direction. It then took off forwards and passed over a shallow bommie and the line rubbed against the reef. This lure didn’t float back up.

Shannon cast over in the direction of the initial hook up and was, once again, briefly hooked up. I grabbed my 30 kilo outfit with a Zoomy G Banger popper on. As this lure hit the surface, the water boiled up around it but no hook up. Repeated cast by both of us saw no more action despite sight casting to a couple of big shapes in the area.

We entered a session of casting and drifting over the shallow reefs. A few small coral trout (some legal but too small for us) and smaller species came up. I caught my smallest ever trout at 22 cm and it looked odd swimming off with a fish tag in it as the tag looked way too big for it. We came across a great looking area for a swim, so with the Minn Kota on spot lock, we jumped overboard to cool off. You know it’s a hot day when swimming in 30 degree water is “cooling off”.

Back on board we started casting and drifting again with lots of mainly smaller species coming up. Shannon had a massive hit using the DJR lure. Now his outfit has 25 kilo line on and a heavy drag set on the reel but this trout smoked off 4 metres of line and disappeared under a lump of coral and cut him off immediately. We spot locked the motor again and cast around the area hoping the lure would float back up but it never did. I thought Shannon was going to cry. By this time this lure was completely devoid of any paint and I was going to retire it.

With all of us hot again, we jumped overboard again (life’s hard up here). Back on board we decided to call it a day and headed home. Being good conditions still, and the water away from the reef still a little discoloured, we opted not to troll so wide open throttle all the way home again.

Martin-

Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 7:44am
It's always on the light gear. Sorry, I had a bit of a giggle when I read that. It's happened to me too plenty of times.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Chep Buxley Chep Buxley wrote:

It's always on the light gear. Sorry, I had a bit of a giggle when I read that. It's happened to me too plenty of times.

Yeah, too many times.

Sorry for no photos. I lost connectivity as I was uploading the last photo last night and I’m only just getting enough to open the site on my phone. I’ll try again later.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 6:42pm
    SWIM TIME

Niece Tiffany with a stripey caught on a Fugly Martin's Minnow

Lobby Lures caught a few smaller species as well. To be fair, these lures and the Martin's Minnow were used during the slack water period of dead high tide.

Frank Trewick's First Strike lures and some of the fish caught.

DJR Lures by Darren Ringlestein worked well

Kuttafurra Lures also always work well.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 8:08pm

Well it’s confirmed – Shannon has been turned. Despite the grumblings of my nephew who is dedicated to his ways  and to the raised eyebrows of my niece, Shannon has changed. No longer will he look forward to bait fishing the deep, now all he wants is to lure the shallow reefs.

A quick check of the weather last night and I made the decision to put the boat in again. I asked Shannon if he was up to it and he replied yes without even asking approval from my niece – now that’s addiction … and a little bit dangerous. Just as well Tiffany is pretty easy going (well at least that is the face that she put on  ).

The winds were up a little bit higher then predicted so we trolled out most of the way. Shannon’s line had bounced around a few times and his lure was taken across my troll line. We slowed up to bring in the now tangled lines and the lure Shannon was using did not show any teeth marks, we don’t now what grabbed his lure.

At  the chosen reef we started our drift assisted in keeping in the zone with the help of the electric motor. Within 3 casts Shannon had a nice little 37 cm coral trout on board using a Mark A Lure. Being undersized it was tagged then released.I used a David Pearce made garfish lure and within 2 minutes later, I had a screaming run that ended up over the edge of the reef and went vety deep cutting me off.

So right from the start we had action but mainly from the smaller species. In the end we ended up with 3 coral trout from 43 cm to 47 cm to take home and we tagged another 4 trout, a flowery cod and a few stripies. We saw a couple of giant trevally but only one over a metre amongst them for no hook up. We both lost lures due to big somethings smashing the lures and taking them under bommies. Shannon learnt just how on the ball you have to be as he had lures taken under bommies by some of the smaller species. With these fish still on, he was able to pull them back out once we position the boat in the direction they went in.

I regret not taking a photo of it now, but Shannon hooked onto a longfin cod ( the red variety with the blue spots- very pretty) and as he was bringing it in, a big trout swallowed it whole. He fought it in for a few metres then the big trout opened it’s mouth and let go. This poor little longfin had a huge gash near a pectoral fin.

As we went to motor home, the outboard wouldn’t start. Thinking it was a flat battery, I hooked up one of my deep cycle batteries from the electric outboard – still just a ticking from the motor. Off with the cowling, checked all of the electrical connection for no joy. I cleaned up all the lanolin from the battery terminals (put on there during the service last week) and sprayed it all down, and the leads with WD40. Now it almost started. Off with a cover over the fly wheel and a rip cord fashioned from a mooring line and Shannon rip started the motor at the same time I turned the key. The motor spluttered and sounded like it was mistiming for about 60 seconds then all came good and we motored back home for no problems.

During it’s service last week, 2 soleniods were replaced, I am thinking that one of those may have been faulty. The outboard mechanic doesn’t think there’s too much wrong with it and he will go over it for me. At least I didn’t have to call our local Coast Guard, being a member you get one free tow back a year.

-(I’ll post these photos).I have been holding off posting this trip because I sent Morgan Grant (son of Ern Grant – Grant’s Guide to Fishes) a couple of photos of what look to be 2 very small coral trout, 1 at 16 cm and 1 at 14 cm that Shannon caught using a shallow DJR Creak Freak. These fish with their mouths closed are exactly like a minature coral trout but they have a convex tail not a concave tail. The only trout I know with a convex tail is a passionfruit trout but the colouration is wrong. Is this because they are not exactly the same shape and colour of a larger trout? Anyway, Morgan hasn’t replied yet so I’ll call them coral trout for now and I’ll clarify it later when he does reply.

Confirmed – brown barred / banded rock cod, only grows to 10 inches – 260mm. Apart from the tail, the body, head, teeth are exactly like a minature coral trout.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 8:22pm
I gave Gary Akers lure a bit of a run for a few smaller species

Mark A lures got a few fish including this coral trout

A coral trout on a Ganesy Lure

This Kuttafurra lure got a few smaller species before I lost it to a big something

Doc Yarrum lure

Shannon did well on a shallow DJR Creak Freak (might have to hide these lures)

the 2 baby trout look a likes

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 7:18pm
A failing battery was my outboard problem. I had it load tested a few weeks ago and it came up good, so it must have been on the verge of failing. It still holds a charge but slowly drains under strain.

I’ve replaced the battery but I’ll try to revive the old one- desulphurfy it with a very slow trickle and use it as a secondary camping battery until it fully dies.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 8:50pm
Our wet season is continuing, the best wet I have had since I moved to here. We have have flooding in the past past this year we have only had very minor flooding but a lot more rain draw out over a longer period.

The barra have show themselves every now and again but not in any numbers- or at least they are not very interested in hitting lures and baits. On Monday morning I had a few follows from one ( or more?) baby barra way undersized for only one strike. This fish would have been lucky to make 45 cm.

I went down to the boat ramp this afternoon and caught a nice 41 cm mangrove jack on a Ganesy lure- something to keep me interested.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 9:06am
Great Jack!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 11:35am
beautiful Jack mate,jeez that creek freak in the earlier photos has a wild paint job never seen one like that before.
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 4:07pm
Hi Martin
I only drop in every so often to see what`s happening, always brows this title and envy the writer and your exploits.
Martin why haven`t you entered the world of youtube
You have the ability , location and appears to be life style and I am sure there would be thousands of viewers more than happy to subscribe to watch your exploits rather than the junk dished up on TV
Don`t waste it mate enjoy and make a few bob while doing it
Just a Thought Kimo
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 4:27pm
yep, what he said. . . .mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 3:24pm
don’t really have the technical smarts for it, editing and all that stuff. 

I have a mate who is starting up another YouTube channel. His first video should be out soon. They spent 9 days at Lockhart River last year but when they got to Weipa one of his mates got lyptosporosis and was hospitalised for 2 weeks. His name is Chris Henry and is a great guy. I taught him how to bass fish, the next year he was teaching me. I and a mate taught him how to barra fish in Lakefield National Park, 5 years later he had over 20 metre plus barra to his name. 

When I get more information on his channel I’ll post it on here.

Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 3:31pm
did he work at coles martin?. . . .mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 3:07pm

did he work at coles martin?. . . .mick

Yes he was a picker at the Forest Lake DC around 2005 for a few years. His mother was on the afternoon shift then day shift managers and is now the night shift manager or Polar afresh who Coles uses as their cold and freezer DC.

I think Taylor knows this bloke.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 3:15pm
Check out the Cooktown marine zoning map and look at all of the close reefs- spoilt much?

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 6:47pm
So I’m on the pontoon at the boat ramp and this bloke comes down to the end, looks into the water and says “ Arhhh no, a little too dirty. I was going to go in for a swim. We were jumping off the back of the boat at midnight last night.”ShockedShockedShocked

A future reduction to the gene pool at the right end thereWink
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 9:31pm

Shannon and I were a couple of “reefers”again today. Once again Shannon used one of my dwindling supply of DJR lures – a shallow diving Creek Freak and he caught some good fish on it before he was taken under a bommie by a (seen) big coral trout. I was using a Kuttafurra “Scud”  and smashing the fish. After Shannon tried in vain  to retrieve the Creek Freak by jumping overboard with a set of googles, guess what? He used my Scud lure and started catching good fish on that.

We both also tried Andrew Sinel’s Jimmy Sideways lures and got some great fish on those as well. On my biggest fish for the day, a 63 cm bar cheek trout, I was using the Scud lure and saw the fish following the lure. I stopped the lure and the fish nudged the lure. Winding in again the fish followed the lure again. So it was stop, fish nudge, wind over and again. But when I broke hat cycle and gave the lure a hard and fast rip, the fish charged the lure and hooked up. This fish was too big to keep as I don’t want to run the risk of ciguatera poisoning. I know of a local who is still suffering from this after eating a big coral trout 4 months ago.

On the way home we trolled for a bit. I was using a HJK mackerel lure testing it. I sped the boat to 14 kph and it stayed in the water. I don’t know it’s top speed as the other mackerel lure were were using blew out of the water. I caught a metre long remora on this lure (no photo, released without bringing it into the boat) and had a screaming run  then nothing – lure spat out. There were no marks on the lure so I suspect it was from a tuna species.

Only a short report today as it’s late and I’m back out again tomorrow morning.

Giving the report for the next day as well – connectivity issues again

So this morning Mickey Rat and myself headed out in great conditions. The aim was to try a different reef to yesterday as this reef had also previously yielded good fish.

Things started out pretty good. A few small trout came aboard and Michael had some great hits from big fish but they didn’t stay connected. Then as the tide reached it’s full height, things slowed right down. We were prepared for this and so the slowing down of the hit rate was not surprising. But the fishing did not improve once the the falling tide got into full swing and there was a noticeable lack of all fish life.

.We moved around a bit and ended up on the same reef as yesterday buut about 3 kilometres further north. We fished around here as there was plently of bait in the water. A few small fish came on board but not much to brag about. I had a cast to a “sand gutter” that ran from a sand flat to a deeper  sand flat between a gape in the reef. We both watched as a trout of about 45-50 cm came out and cxhased the Ganesy lure I was using. This fish hit the lure but missed the hook up. The lure fouled up a bit but the trout still followed it. As the lure righted itself the fish hit it again and hooked up. The fish turned around and started heading back to this “sand gutter” – then the braid snapped with barely a load placed upon it. I have had suspicions about the quality of this braid and now it’s destined for the bin. (I had used a double in the braid and attached the leader with my own leader knot. The double knot – spider hitch, has never let me down. I have used my own knot exclusively for the past 12 years and it had never let me down when tied properly. 15 kilo braid should not break so easily).

With things still pretty quiet we decided to troll the mackerel lures as part of our way home. Michael was using a beach found green Bomber 3 hooker lure and after a few minutes his line takes off. After a battle that had him running around the boat, he pulls up a nice shark mackerel. Contrary to popular belief, these are great eating, bleed them upon capture and skin the fillets and all of the amonia smell disappears and it’s every bit as good as a spanish mackerel. Michael’s green Bomber suffered a loss of it’s rear treble with the tail end broken off. It really is now a “busted arse lure” but we agreed that it will still catch fish.

Once back trolling again and a few minutes later, his line takes off again and up came an undersized shark mackerel. Soon after this we call it quits and W.O.T. it back home.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 9:44pm
Photos for Friday's trip

Fish caught on Steiny's DJR's lures

Fish caught on Andrew Sinel's Jimmy Sideways

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 9:59pm
Fish caught on Kuttafurra lures. The most damage was done by that little white "scud" model. 

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 10:08pm
Phone tower on Mount Cook, 4 kilometres away is another phone tower and where I'm living is in the middle, but I have to sit at the wharf to get internet on my laptop and dongleAngry

Photos from today's efforts.

DJR lure

Ganesy lure

Jimmy Sideways lure

Kuttafurra scud

The busted arse Bomber and shark mackerel

Martin-

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 10:17pm
Good reading Martin, and some nice fish caught. Even I have seen all your reports, I am still amaced about the colors on those Reff Trouts you gents catch Smile

Knaek & Break 
           Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by p.j. p.j. wrote:

Good reading Martin, and some nice fish caught. Even I have seen all your reports, I am still amaced about the colors on those Reff Trouts you gents catch Smile

Knaek & Break 
           Per

I’m still trying to catch a footballer trout. Have only seen one in 3 metres of water but they are spectacular.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 9:16pm
So the Footballer Trout is spectacular compared to the ones you already catch? They must be pretty awesome.

Can you tell me about the Jimmy Sideways lures? Are they still made? Timber? 
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 1:45pm
Rivoli is Andrew Sinel’s Lurelover’s name. If you can see it, many times the stripes on the lure spells “ Jimi”.  

Andrew mainly makes lures for himself but they are getting better and better. He gave me quite a few of them and they all swim great with all of them handling a fast trolling speed. 

Hopefully he’ll read this and answer any questions you may have.
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 50>
  Share Topic