LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 9:18pm
Martin have you got another oneCry

Cheers,
Mad dog
Life is fishing!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

Martin have you got another oneCry

Cheers,
Mad dog

I have a smaller version of one about 12 cm long- same colour, blue and yellow fusilier. I'll swim that one the next time I can get out.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 10:10pm
Boat trailer maintenance day today. But late afternoon saw Wal and I having a quick flick at the boat ramp pontoons and the wharf. Result- Wal with one small trevally on a popper - no photo. Me a trevally of the same size on a Mencho's herring lure that I got off him at this year's lure expo. I also scored a cuttlefish on a squid jig - cool.

The trevally on Darcy Mencho's herring lure

This cuttlefish refused a bigger multi-coloured squid jig, just had about 5 goes on this smaller all red jig

Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 1:19pm
theres that cuddlefishWink.boy that looks like a good spot to flick a fly Martin
that's no how ye make porridge!
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 5:42pm
Well done Clapwookie 

Life is fishing!
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 11:34am
Hey Martin - can you check the privacy setting on those video links?
I can't see any of them. (And no recent videos on your facebook profile at all)
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:08pm
A great spot for the fly rod Chris. There's a bloke up here that regularly fishes the fly and does pretty well.

Ducks, how do I change the privacy settings?
Martin-

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:23pm
When you have it open on your computer there's a little icon that either looks like a silhouette of a person or the globe. Click on that and it should have a few options (public, friends only, only me)
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:40pm
Yesterday I went to Lakefield National Park with Cam Cupitt (Headland Lures) and another friend from Innisfail - Bill.

Cam scored an undersized barra on one of his lures. I then snagged a Mencho herring - bummer, wanted to get a mackerel on that. I then scored a 45 cm barra on a DJR - thanks Steiny. 
But I realised I didn't have my phone in my pocket as I usually like to take photos with my camera and my phone.  So I back tracked with my GPS looking for where I lost it - all the way back to the car some 2 kilometres back. Seems like this old fart left the phone on the chargerEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed.

As the others would have now been in excess of 4 kilometres away I stayed around the car fishing the deep hole. After a while I pulled out a Kuttafurra Joe the Rat paddler. As the others returned a 4 metre croc started showing interest. Video was taken as the croc came after the lure.

https://www.facebook.com/martin.henderson.7568/videos/pcb.1616525605143772/1616521295144203/?type=3&theater

After a while once we thought the croc was gone, Bill threw out one of Cam's poppers. The croc got it, bit it once then spat it out. Now this popper WAS about 6 cm round.

The day ended with  - me 1, Bill 1, Cam 2 with one legal size.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Ducks Ducks wrote:

When you have it open on your computer there's a little icon that either looks like a silhouette of a person or the globe. Click on that and it should have a few options (public, friends only, only me)

DONE DUCKS ClapClapClap
Martin-

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 5:54pm
Much better
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 8:21pm
Great weather this morning, got about a third of the way to Egret Reef - no tell tail coming from the motor, but the motor's temperature wasn't going up either but water was coming out of the cowling. I trolled back and picked up this 61 cm spotty mackerel on a Tony Bartlett's Seaweed Lure.

A lift of the cowling back at Wal's showed that the hose cam off the exit port and was filling the inside of the motor bay. No big issue but our hands were too large to try to fit it back on - oh well, the motor will be getting it's service a few hours early.
Martin-

Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 8:29pm
Seaweeds lures work 👌
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Steve B Steve B wrote:

Seaweeds lures work 👌

They sure do, they have a great wobble to them and they cast a full country mile.ClapClapClap
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 8:51pm
Another quick flick late this afternoon saw me with a nice giant trevally. I called it for 2 kilos on a Facebook post but Wal reckons more like 3 kilos. This thing had about 5 runs at around 8 metres each time before the runs got smaller and he knocked up - on the same Seaweed Barra lure. Wal ended up with a much smaller GT and an undersized gold spot cod.

No dinky rod fishing at the moment - it's still in pieces getting repaired.
Martin-

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 9:14pm
You guys have been having some great sessions.

Wind finally eased off up your way.

Keep the reports coming.

Regards John

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:07am
Top catch Martin and Wal. Thumbs UpWould you Martin use a longer rod off the rocks 8ft-9ft ?

Cheers,
Mad Dog

Life is fishing!
Rocket*Surgeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocket*Surgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:39am
Man, it looks like you’re having a blast ! Top notch catches !
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 12:23pm
That retirement is treating you well. Making us all jealous. Just need some deadlocks in that hair.
whipit
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 3:11pm
Well done Martin, two new species for the Seaweed .
"Always Merry and Bright"
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

You guys have been having some great sessions.

Wind finally eased off up your way.

Keep the reports coming.

Regards John

Wind eased off to about 25 kilometres / hour, for about 5 hoursLOL
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

Top catch Martin and Wal. Thumbs UpWould you Martin use a longer rod off the rocks 8ft-9ft ?

Cheers,
Mad Dog

This is off the rock walls at the Marton boat ramp. But normally fishing the headlands I still use a 6- 7 foot rod.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 9:13pm
I went for a quick flick this morning with a Peter Rayner (Hazmail) lure off the Marton boat ramp this morning an scored this little giant trevally.

Later in the day Wal and I sussed out a new area. I dropped 2 jungle perch but scored a mud cod (type of gudgeon) and a 35ish cm barra- still using Hazmail's lure.

Martin-

hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 6:43am
pretty spot H/H !!
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:54pm
Been doing a bit of yard work, tree demolishing and removal of late and hadn't seriously fished. Today Wal and I walked a freshwater section of a local river that we usually bypass due to the large amount of fishing pressure it gets. But we didn't have much time and I needed a walk to help loosen up the bones.
I had a jungle perch about 20 cm jump off and landed a little sooty grunter on a C.R.A.F.T. stick bait. This lure is beautifully weight and hangs tail down just under the water's surface.

With this river we usually bypass the first 1 and a half kilometres of it and park in a more secluded spot. When we seriously fish here we do it over a full day to get to the better fishing areas.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:30pm
Found a new track the other day. The entrance had been "hidden" but as a burn off occurred I saw the bare earth of the wheel tracks.(Before the burn off the road side grass was too tall to see it and the entrance coincided with a wash out drain).

Today Wal and I explored this track and found the upper reaches of a local river. This section had many areas that dries out on the lower tide leaving pools of water - very fishy looking water.

End result - I caught 2 rat barra and dropped 2 more, dropped an approx 45 cm mangrove jack trying to lift it up a 2 metre high bank and was taken into a snag by another jack (got the lure back). I used one of Wal's little 75 mm shallow running Wedgetails. I ended up losing this lure to a tree trying to cast in a tight spot.

Wal scored 3 jacks, one about 20 cm, 2 about 40 cm, a rifle fish (archer fish) and Wal dropped 2 rat barra and another barra that would have gone about 50 cm. Wal was also stitched up by another jack losing his lure. Wal was using 75 mm deep diving and shallow running  Wedgetails.

Now for Wal's mangrove jacks

and Wal's archer fish

Martin-

hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 11:46pm
nice fishing H/H - well done mate
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 10:04pm
Was able to hit the reef today with Wal and a once local who comes back for holidays.
Although we didn't photograph every fish, there was quite a few landed - by Shaun mostley. Yes Wal and I had our asses handed to us on a plate.
results -
Shaun- a huge spotty mackerel and 2 smaller but legal macks, 2 coral trout, a nice 60 cm plus gold spot cod and a lot, I mean a real lot of stripeys.
Me - a legal spotty mack on a Lee's Lure, a heap of flower cod and stripeys on Mark A Lure and Blinky's lure (one on a Headland Lure -  stick bait type thing). I lost the Headland Lure to a huge coral trout and at the start of the day I had my drag too tight after servicing it yesterday and a huge mackerel (?) smashed my Murphy lure causing and almost instant bust off - rookie mistake for not checking the drag. 
Wal - a nice coral trout and a few stripeys and small flower pot cod.

flower pot cod on a Mark A Lure

stripey on a Headland Lure

Wal's coral trout on one of his Illusion Lure Wedgetails

flower pot cod and stripey on a Blinky Lure

Not a good photo, but my spotty on a Lee's mackerel lure

Martin-

Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 11:13am
Always a good read Martin, An adventure without leaving home
please keep em up
Kimo
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 8:00pm
Was hoping to get a couple of hours trolling for mackerel in this morning before the predicted wind blew up. Shaun and I were on the water before day break. We had about 15 minutes of trolling before the wind changed from about 20 kph to over 30 kph. Shaun scored a nice spotty of about 65 cm but dropped and even bigger one beside the boat as he tried to lift it aboard. He also got a  smaller undersized spotty. I got a wolf herring on a Fugly Martin's Minnow. The advent of the stronger winds caused a 1.5 metre wind swell so we went upriver seeing what was available. Shaun had a brief hook up and I got a tiny giant trevally just a little bit bigger then the Mark A Lure I was using. We gave up once the wind gusts hit the predicted 51 kph and caused a half metre swell in the river - 3 hours for very little result and it was not a hard decision.

Hopefully Wal, Shaun and myself will do better at Lakefield National Park tomorrow chasing barra.

my wolf herring

Shaun unhooking his little spotty mackerel

my little giant trevally

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 2:15pm
Hit Lakefield National Park yesterday with Wal and Shaun. We went to a different area to suss it out. Water here was very low and we had a lot of walking in very soft sand in the river bed between fishable water. Wal had a hit by a near 95 cm barra which failed to hook up. I had a great surface hit using a Mark A Lure barra pop but it failed to hook up. After about 4 kilometres of walking, when we had walked about a kilometre in the river bank and still could not see the next water hole we turned around to try the water hole that we parked at.

( we generally don't fish much at the camp sites as they get hit pretty hard and the fish are very wary - there was a lot of old set lines at this camp site). By this stage Wal and I had an archer fish each and Shaun had a cocktail of archer fish, spangled perch and small sooty grunter.

At the camp site waterhole things were a little quiet for a while but Shaun scored a legal barra of about 60 cm. We all scored another archer fish or two. I and Shaun went back to the car for some liquid sustenanceWink and as I had developed a rash from the detergent (?) that I used for my pants, I stayed back around the car and spoke to a father and son  camper that arrived close to sunset. Shaun went back to Wal where they had a few more misses until Wal scored a barra a bit bigger then Shaun's. Earlier Shaun saw a croc moved towards there position and when things suddenly went quiet, they hypothesized that the fish were to scared to bite and came back to camp.

my archer fish on Mark Andrews' barra pop. I reckon these fish are cool and love seeing them shoot down insects.

an archfish on a Fugly Martin's Minnow

We took a break in the river bank and a few wild pigs came down looking for water, two of them came right up to look at us.

one of the stretches between waterholes

You can see Shaun in this photo - but WHERE'S WAL?

This photo will help you

I'm still waiting for some photos off Wal and hopefully Shaun (if he took any). When I get these I'll post up a selection of them.
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 3:57pm
wal's off to the right (i thinkErmmLOL).that Marty's looking well worn mate,got some new ones here for you.good stuff mateThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

wal's off to the right (i thinkErmmLOL).that Marty's looking well worn mate,got some new ones here for you.good stuff mateThumbs Up

Thanks mate, it's caught me a lot of fish, and that bright yellow one has such deep tooth marks in it that it now gets waterlogged after 30 minutes in the waterLOL

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

Thanks mate, it's caught me a lot of fish, and that bright yellow one has such deep tooth marks in it that it now gets waterlogged after 30 minutes in the waterLOL

and yep, Wal's to the right.
Martin-

rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 9:20pm
Dry the lure Martin bog it up with similar colour Nail Varnish. Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 50>
  Share Topic