LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting on eyes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting on eyes
    Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 11:32am
Hey crew , I'm sure this has been done 10000000 times but is there any secrets I should know about painting eyes on ? I understand there will be heaps of different methods so I'm open to anything , paint consistency is a big one so any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Bez
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 8:24pm
Hi Bez.

What paint are you using?

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
bez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:35am
Hey man , createx acrylic
Goanna View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 8:49am
Hi Bez, I’m only new to lure lovers but I have been making lures for 20 years. A good way to paint the eyes is with a cigarette filter. But it’s all about viscousity. Hope that helps.
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:09pm
any other tips on this topic?
I just bought special paint for doing eyes. I don't have any lures ready, but I guess I will do some testing to see what will work best.
I really liked using "made" eyes, but they are no longer available to me easily, as the chain of stores closed. could order some online, but then figured I would try something new. it will definitely save oodles of $$ in the long run, using paint for the eyes.
Werriscreekwonda View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:19pm
I dab the eyes ny hand..getting better.
I use a reasonably thick enamel paint dabbed with the back end of a drill bit...preferably with a chamfered end.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 7:53pm
I’ve done some on a few smaller lures using the heads of the escutcheon pins that I use to pin my bibs with. Perhaps it’s the dome head of the pin that makes it easy to do. The same as people suggest chamfered edges on drill bits or dowl.
Dan
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 12:52am
A piece of Teflon plumbers tape placed over the end of a drill bit helps with paint climbing up the sides of the drills shank having a shallow dipping well keeps the dot size more consistent the tape helps with clean up and is very cheap. The most important part is paint consistency enamel paint is great for dotting but not always the best with acylic 1&2K clears over them
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:32pm
Peter Newell was the master in many ways, but his eyes were outstanding.
I hand dab acrylic using the bevelled stick method, keep the paint fairly runny and don't be afraid to re-dip and add a couple of layers. The ends of drill bits are also good. I've found it's trial and error and a steady hand helps, my eyes are slowly getting better, bit of a disaster in the early days.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic