Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Barra King
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HH or RD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HH or RD
    Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 2:07pm
Are these Henry Hall or Ron Dau? Worth anything?

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 4:19pm
I reckon they are Henry Halls going by the nose. Ron Dau's model had an elongated "snout" from what I was told as the mandril wearing on the copy lathe?

That bottom one was a mates "go to" lure for jacks when things got toughThumbs Up (Not telling him I've got oneLOL)
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 4:47pm
If I had to pick I'd say late HH, but the eye colour is confusing me. Bring them around to my place and we can compare, I have a board display full of them. Call me on 0472669940 for my address anytime.
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:04pm
Both look to have stickers, which would make them Daus yes ??
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Seaweed Seaweed wrote:

If I had to pick I'd say late HH, but the eye colour is confusing me. Bring them around to my place and we can compare, I have a board display full of them. Call me on 0472669940 for my address anytime.
Regards, Seaweed.

Yes eye colour had me confused as well because I was always under the impression that HH's were white and black.
Martin-

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 11:09am
Mick, if you see stickers, Dau for sure, the eyes definitely look Dau. These may have been made before the mandril wear, later ones all had that elongated nose. Ron Dau took over from Henry in 1986, his first ones (I have two) were hand signed under the bib, but only for a short time until going to stickers.
Seaweed.
sticko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sticko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 9:59pm
Hi Lure Lovers I was talking to Henry today and I asked him about this Mandril wear issue , he said that there never was any issues.The different shapes in the 4inch lure came from him removing and sharpening the cutting tool and not putting it back in the same position everytime.and any other discrepancies in the body of the lure were caused by the timber comming loose in the tail stock.Have a Merry Christmas everyone cheers Sticko
STICKO

Nobody Wins unless Everybody Wins
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 3:14pm
Good info. there Sticko, nice to see Henry still around.
Seaweed.
sticko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sticko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 8:45pm
Yes Tony he is still getting around he may be getting on in years but he is still sharp as a tack.
STICKO

micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by sticko sticko wrote:

Yes Tony he is still getting around he may be getting on in years but he is still sharp as a tack.

Hey Dave if you get chatting to Henry again , could you ask him if he has ever made any jointed/segmented lures please ?
sticko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sticko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:02pm
Yeah ok Mick , I will .
STICKO

micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:10pm
Cheers mate.
redfish11 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 10:59pm
Mick, I saw a jointed lure that was unpainted, hanging on the wall behinds Dau's copy lathes when I visited a few years ago.
I asked, but it was not for sale.
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 11:13pm
Interesting mate. This one appears to have Henry's eyes .
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 11:13am
I reckon BeesKnees (Ian Leighton), is the man to ask on anything BarraKing,
Seaweed.
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:37pm

I reckon BeesKnees (Ian Leighton), is the man to ask on anything BarraKing,
Seaweed.

As opposed to the bloke who made them ?
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:31pm
A  little bit off topic, but I was told that Barra Kings are going to be made again. Any confirmation on this?
Martin-

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:22pm
Be interested to know more about the new maker Martin, or where he's from.
Tony.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 6:25pm

Be interested to know more about the new maker Martin, or where he's from.
Tony.

A young bloke went up to the Headland Lures stall at the Tolga markets and told Cam's wife that he was going to make the Barra Kings again. But he said that he met with opposition from some collectors as they told him that it would devalue their Barra King collections (which isn't true because the higher prices are in the Henry Hall made lures). He didn't give Kim his name or where he lives.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 2:38pm
Just spoke to Cam Cupitt about this. He said that this “ young bloke “ told them that he had bought everything off Ron Dau and is supposed to be selling them. Cam doesn’t know where the outlet is but suspects they are being sold through Ebay as there has been quite a few “new “ ones being sold lately.
Martin-

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 12:11pm
Martin, as Ron passed away a couple of years ago, I'd say he's purchased the copy-lathe and all the equipment from Ron's estate.
Good luck to him for carrying on the tradition, can't hurt, sour grapes saying it will hurt BarraKing collectors. I've got probably one of the largest 4" HH collections and see no harm in new blood.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 7:40pm
Yeah it'll be off his estate. A new maker of the  Barra Kings may even increase the value of the Dau's?
Martin-

firststrike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firststrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:19pm
The bloke who bought the Barra King copy lathe and equipment is Harry Roberts from up Daintree way.
firststrike
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:49am
Cool Firststrike, thanks for that. Do you know how he is selling them? I would love to try them on the barra.
Martin-

firststrike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firststrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 9:17am
Sorry for the late reply horrorhead. Unfortunately I don't know how he is selling them or where. The last time I heard he was having problems getting sales but I am unsure of that. I will be talking to a mate of his over the weekend so will find out for you.

firststrike
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 3:28pm
Thanks mate, let us know how you go. The Lure Shop in Cooktown is looking at stocking more Aussie timbers so maybe he should contact them
Martin-

sticko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sticko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 11:52am
Hi,Mick I was talking to Henry today and I asked him if he ever made a jointed 6 inch Barra King his response was no he never made any jointed lures I hope this helps cheers Sticko
STICKO

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic